Hospitality Question

Hi there...

I am originally from Buffalo, but am a big Jets fan (I also follow the Bills a lot, since I am from there)...I am in the process of planning my annual trip to Buffalo to visit relatives and such and was trying to plan it around the October 16 game with the Jets. I have worn my Jets apparel into the Ralph for numerous Jets games before and never had a problem, but I was always there with a bunch of my family who are Bills fans. I am going up to Buffalo this time with my fiancee and she wants to go to the Jets game, since she is a Jets fan as well. This is her first NFL game, and I really wouldn't like it if her first game was scarred by having beer tossed at her or something...We can take most of the fan competitiveness and trash talk, but really don't want a physical altercation... I am 23, she 19, and have to drive back to PA right after the game, so I won't be drinking much, if at all...

Do you guys think it's a good idea to come to this game to see our team play, or should I try to plan it around a neutral weekend where we can wear Bills stuff and not have to worry at all?

Thanks...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I go to an opposing stadium I do two things 1) do not deck myself out in my teams gear making myself a target 2) do not act obnoxiosly or even loudly when my team makes a play. You can cheer respectfully and enjoy the game w/o making a scene and upsetting the home fans.

Think about it. There is absolutely no reason why you need to wear your Jets jersey to the game. You can go see your team and have a good time without having to advertise to the (opposing) world what a rabid fan you are. To me this dilemma is very easily solved - 1) do not deck yourself out in Jets gear which will make you an instant target for any drunk or over-zealous home fan and 2) do not cheer loudly or obnoxiously when your team makes a play (and definitely do NOT follow the example of the dregs of the earth scum vile putrid Patriots M A S S H O L E fan who runs around Ralph Wilson Stadium giving the finger to Bills fans and yelling "You Suck!" F@ck You!" If you do that you deserve to get the living sh-- kicked out of you.).

Hi there...

I am 23, she 19, and have to drive back to PA right after the game, so I won't be drinking much, if at all...

Do you guys think it's a good idea to come to this game to see our team play, or should I try to plan it around a neutral weekend where we can wear Bills stuff and not have to worry at all?

Thanks...

417331[/snapback]

Mind your manners and you should be fine. Leave the Jets stuff at home to be safe.

Mind your manners and you should be fine. Leave the Jets stuff at home to be safe.

417413[/snapback]

Probably sound advice, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

That said, I wear my Bills jerseys to away games and haven't had any real problems. Just expect people to talk trash. Smile and laugh along with them (or at them, as the case may be). Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. Don't let anything they say get under your skin, even if it crosses the line. Don't get mouthy back, but do have some fun. Most fans (regardless of team) are actually pretty interesting to talk to once they get past that whole "your team sucks" stuff.

I won't promise you anything, but that works for me when I catch my team on the road. By the way, your team really does suck. :lol:

Kidding. Juuuuust kidding.

I can't say there are no obnoxious Bills fans, but Buffalo is not NYC or Miami.

417342[/snapback]

I've seen the Bills play in the Meadowlands, wore my Bills gear in the endzone and had a pleasant day (of course the Bills won). The negative image of the NYC fan is largely a myth.

Thanks for the responses everyone...Like I said, been there for many a Jets game all dressed in Jets gear, and never had a problem, but I was always with a member of my family who was a Bills fan...I can take the jabs and comments and stuff like that, cause I have a good sense of humor...and since I am built like that skinny kid from "Road Trip", I usually stay quiet as to not get me in fights that I will surely lose...

I don't really remember how the Jets thing started though...I just used to like watching Ken O'Brien play...still my favorite Jet of all time...even if he did spend half of his career laying under Bruce Smith!

Thanks for the responses everyone...Like I said, been there for many a Jets game all dressed in Jets gear, and never had a problem, but I was always with a member of my family who was a Bills fan...I can take the jabs and comments and stuff like that, cause I have a good sense of humor...and since I am built like that skinny kid from "Road Trip", I usually stay quiet as to not get me in fights that I will surely lose...

I don't really remember how the Jets thing started though...I just used to like watching Ken O'Brien play...still my favorite Jet of all time...even if he did spend half of his career laying under Bruce Smith!

417461[/snapback]

In that case, feel free to wear your Jets gear in my section :lol:

The only time I really saw fights when I had season tickets from 87-93 were when the Jets played. There were a lot of UB students from NYC who would get plowed at the tailgate. Saw a woman sucker punch a guy that was arguing with her boyfriend.

Let's be honest... half the stadium will be filled with Jets fans anyways.  Don't be overly drunk and you'll be ok.  Security is good about getting rid of the major !@#$s that you might have to worry about.

417418[/snapback]

WTF? :lol:

Whenever I go to an opposing stadium I do two things 1) do not deck myself out in my teams gear making myself a target 2) do not act obnoxiosly or even loudly when my team makes a play.  You can cheer respectfully and enjoy the game w/o making a scene and upsetting the home fans.

Think about it.  There is absolutely no reason why you need to wear your Jets jersey to the game.  You can go see your team and have a good time without having to advertise to the (opposing) world what a rabid fan you are.  To me this dilemma is very easily solved - 1) do not deck yourself out in Jets gear which will make you an instant target for any drunk or over-zealous home fan and 2) do not cheer loudly or obnoxiously when your team makes a play (and definitely do NOT follow the example of the dregs of the earth scum vile putrid Patriots M A S S H O L E fan who runs around Ralph Wilson Stadium giving the finger to Bills fans and yelling "You Suck!"  F@ck You!"  If you do that you deserve to get the living sh-- kicked out of you.).

417406[/snapback]

stevewin, i respectfully disagree. with a few notable exceptions (oakland, philly come to mind), as long as a person doesn't deliberately taunt the home team fans it's absolutely fine to sport one's favorite team's gear. i've worn bills' gear in visiting stadiums to watch buffalo play the jets, falcons, panthers, titans, and redskins...and never encountered a bit of difficulty. and i do cheer, sometimes loudly, for good bills' plays.