Could both 2002 2nd rounders get cut?

Ritzman & Gause have both looked good this preseason.

Josh Reed has looked bad.

For different reasons I can see the Bills cutting both Denney & Reed.

Denney: Kelsey has taken over as the starter at the previously shared DE spot. This makes Denney a reserve. I don't know his contract status, but he's either a year or 2 away from free agency. With 2 cheaper DEs with possibly more upside and probably more long term future due to free agency rules, why would the team keep Denney around? A surprise cut to some, but a very logical cut if Ritzman & Gause continue to play well.

Reed: Unless he really pick it up in camp, I think it's a slam dunk he gets cut. He's definitely gone after this year, the last year on his contract, so why keep him around? Wilson, Haddad, and especially with clone Parrish's injury, F.Smith all give the team a better option for this year & the future than Reed.

We keep 5 healthy receivers + Parrish: Moulds, Evans, Aiken, are locks, Smith stays at least until Parrish returns and Wilson probably beats out Haddad. Unless Woodbury can play receiver & takes Smith's job the receivers are Moulds, Evans, Aiken, Smith, Wilson & Parrish. There's no need for Reed.

Defensive ends are tough to get, although I agree that the Bills are unusually deep. Denney will never resemble Bruce Smith, but he is productive and too valuable to cut imo.

If the Bills choose to dump him (which I doubt), he could probably bring us a mid-round draft pick.

As for Reed, he is probably all but worthless and will likely be cut.

Denney: Kelsey has taken over as the starter at the previously shared DE spot.  This makes Denney a reserve.  I don't know his contract status, but he's either a year or 2 away from free agency.  With 2 cheaper DEs with possibly more upside and probably more long term future due to free agency rules, why would the team keep Denney around?  A surprise cut to some, but a very logical cut if Ritzman & Gause continue to play well. 

Reed: Unless he really pick it up in camp, I think it's a slam dunk he gets cut.  He's definitely gone after this year, the last year on his contract, so why keep him around?  Wilson, Haddad, and especially with clone Parrish's injury, F.Smith all give the team a better option for this year & the future than Reed. 

We keep 5 healthy receivers + Parrish:  Moulds, Evans, Aiken, are locks, Smith stays at least until Parrish returns and Wilson probably beats out Haddad.  Unless Woodbury can play receiver & takes Smith's job the receivers are Moulds, Evans, Aiken, Smith, Wilson & Parrish.  There's no need for Reed.

408489[/snapback]

I agree with your thinking Reed is the more likely to go. Coach Mularkey made the comment last night that Ritzman still needs work against the run.has the skill of a situational pass rusher right now..and both Gause and Ritzman have PS eligibility.

These roster cuts are overall are going to be tough...We will put WR, LB, RB and D-Line talent out on the market that I bet will get scooped up by others.

I think Denney will probably make the final 53 man roster. He's proven that he can be a decent 3rd DE. You expect more of a 2nd round pick, but at the end of the day, he is a reasonably productive reserve and will probably play out his contract (and I think he's a FA after this year).

Reed is all but gone. Moulds, Evans and Parrish are locks as we all know. Sam Aiken will also make this final roster as he is the primary backup to Moulds. I also believe that he has outplayed Reed to this point this preseason. That leaves one remaining spot, and I think George Wilson will probably win it. He's a willing ST player and at the very least, he can actually catch the ball as a WR.

And so, several years later, my prediction about Josh Reed on draft day came true.

He was over-rated out of college and a reach in the second round.

408520[/snapback]

So...you want a cookie, or what?

Denney: Kelsey has taken over as the starter at the previously shared DE spot.  This makes Denney a reserve.  I don't know his contract status, but he's either a year or 2 away from free agency.  With 2 cheaper DEs with possibly more upside and probably more long term future due to free agency rules, why would the team keep Denney around?  A surprise cut to some, but a very logical cut if Ritzman & Gause continue to play well. 

Reed: Unless he really pick it up in camp, I think it's a slam dunk he gets cut.  He's definitely gone after this year, the last year on his contract, so why keep him around?  Wilson, Haddad, and especially with clone Parrish's injury, F.Smith all give the team a better option for this year & the future than Reed. 

We keep 5 healthy receivers + Parrish:  Moulds, Evans, Aiken, are locks, Smith stays at least until Parrish returns and Wilson probably beats out Haddad.  Unless Woodbury can play receiver & takes Smith's job the receivers are Moulds, Evans, Aiken, Smith, Wilson & Parrish.  There's no need for Reed.

408489[/snapback]

totally disagree about Denney.

Although he doesn't start, he is an integral part of the zone blitz package because of his abiity to play DT and drop in to coverage.

He is the major reason both Sam Adams and Pat Williams didn't smell the field on 3rd downs last year.

Denney looked really good at DT against the Colts. I saw on one play he shoved the guard all the way through the backfield. Even though he should have stuck his hand out and grabbed the QB, he looked dominant on that play.

wilson (george, not ralph) and haddad seem to be pushing reed out the door. wilson was the first man downfield on a punt saturday night, so he's trying to make the most of ST as well. i'm ready to see reed go.

i think our WR corps is likely to be moulds, evans, parrish, aiken, and wilson/haddad -- with the difference-maker being ST play.

with respect to D-line, i agree with much of what others have already posted. denney, while not spectacular, is very solid and continues to improve. the bills only kept 3 DEs last year; it's possible they do the same this year as well. gause and ritzmann have good potential and i'd like to at least see them on the PS.

Denney is one of the best DE backups in the league. He plays the run like a starter, can be rotated to DT on passing downs, and is a positive contributer on special teams field goal/punt units. His tall (almost 6'8") and relatively skinny frame gives him a center of gravity that makes it harder to turn the corner at DE without losing leverage against the RT/TE. But even so, he still produces a pass rush as good as any other backup strong-side DE. Denney is still only 28 years old, so let's give him one more 4-year contract offer in February proper for a vet DE backup. In the meantime, for this upcoming season I say Denney backs up Kelsay and Ritzmann backs up Schobel. That's 4 DE's on the roster, so Gause goes to the practice squad.

I think Reed makes the team because we'll go into the season with 6 WR's (thanks to Parrish's injury). That would be Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Reed, Aiken, and Smith - in order (with Wilson on the practice squad). Until I see either Wilson or Haddad beat up on preseason competition who will not be working at McDonald's in September, I'll continue to hold this roster ranking. Coach Tolbert has said that Reed is the best WR on the roster at getting separation from the defender. I believe him. Reed's biggest preseason competition remains his own lack of confidence manifested in dropping the ball - not Wilson or Haddad.

PS: Somebody - ANYBODY - explain to me why Haddad gets all the fan forgiveness in the world for taking 5 years to develop, while Reed is being relentlessly bashed after 3?

Denney is one of the best DE backups in the league. He plays the run like a starter, can be rotated to DT on passing downs, and is a positive contributer on special teams field goal/punt units. His tall (almost 6'8") and relatively skinny frame gives him a center of gravity that makes it harder to turn the corner at DE without losing leverage against the RT/TE. But even so, he still produces a pass rush as good as any other backup strong-side DE. Denney is still only 28 years old, so let's give him one more 4-year contract offer in February proper for a vet DE backup. In the meantime, for this upcoming season I say Denney backs up Kelsay and Ritzmann backs up Schobel. That's 4 DE's on the roster, so Gause goes to the practice squad.

I think Reed makes the team because we'll go into the season with 6 WR's (thanks to Parrish's injury). That would be Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Reed, Aiken, and Smith - in order (with Wilson on the practice squad). Until I see either Wilson or Haddad beat up on preseason competition who will not be working at McDonald's in September, I'll continue to hold this roster ranking. Coach Tolbert has said that Reed is the best WR on the roster at getting separation from the defender. I believe him. Reed's biggest preseason competition remains his own lack of confidence manifested in dropping the ball - not Wilson or Haddad.

PS: Somebody - ANYBODY - explain to me why Haddad gets all the fan forgiveness in the world for taking 5 years to develop, while Reed is being relentlessly bashed after 3?

408572[/snapback]

I agree about Denney, although wouldn't go near the best back-up DE in the league comment. As far as Haddad goes, he gets the fan treatment because he hasn't dropped balls, he has caught them. As long as I have been watching him, he has been making catches and plays. He gets released because there are bigger guys or higher rated or higher drafted guys out there that get more chances, but when Haddad actually plays he always seems to get results. That is why teams are always willing to bring him back, and then the same thing happens. Reed has had his chance and blown it. Haddad really hasn't, and you cannot compare the results until Haddad plays half a season or a full season in the real games and either tanks or produces. This year, I think it is a 50-50 chance at this point that Haddad gets his chance and Reed has used his up. Reed has been unable, for the better part of two full seasons and this pre-season, to do anything asked of a wide receiver. he hasn't been able to be consistently open, he hasn't been able to hold onto the ball, he hasn't been able to get deep, he hasn't been able to break tackles, and he hasn't distinguished himself as a blocker or as a special teams player. Even when he has been asked to return punts or kicks he has been mediocre. And even when he was catching everything in sight in practice the two previous seasons to this, it didn't transfer to even the pre-season games. This year, from all reports, he's not even hanging onto everything in practice.

408572[/snapback]

I agree on both points. Reed is not the player we hoped he would be and the disappointment over that is fueling a lot of the "cut Reed" talk. Apart from that though, for him to get cut he would have to get beat out by Smith, Wilson and/or Haddad. Smith is dropping a lot of balls and Haddad has had plenty of opportunities now to show whether he can play and he hasn't made it. I like what I have seen from Wilson in camp but he didn't get any balls thrown his way, as I recall, last Saturday. Reed has too much experience to get beat out by those guys.

I am not a big fan of Denney and if keeping him means cutting Gause, I'd say cut Denney instead because I really like Gause. I did some research on him this morning and was impressed. At his pro day work out he came in a shade under 6-5 and was 269 lbs. He also ran a 4.69 forty. That is pretty serious speed for a DE. Other than making sure we have the roster space for Gause, I don't see how Denney gets cut.

And so, several years later, my prediction about Josh Reed on draft day came true.

He was over-rated out of college and a reach in the second round.

408520[/snapback]

Yeah, sure, say that about every player and eventually you'll be right on at least one.

Congrats, Mr. Blind Squirrel. Hope you're proud....