Biggest Bills as-hole

as much as i loved watching thurman thomas play, he was my favorite player of that great bills era, one time i was in the first row hanging over the wall at Rich Stadium with kids all around trying to get his autograph cuz he was signing. Anyways i was basically face to face with him he was right infront of me while signing. I think there was a school there or camp or something and that camp's kids were all around me in which they were majority African American descent, i was young at the time, and thurman wouldnt sign my card but he was signing everyone else's, my dad just told me he would explain it "some day". i think back to it now and he's got my nomination.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nice story about a really classy Bill, Chris Mohr. I was visiting my family in WNY and my Dad and I went to Fredonia to spend the day at training camp. We took a bunch of picures of our Bills in action.

When we arrived home a lady my wife worked with commented that her 12 year old son was the biggest Bills fan ever. This poor kid was confined to a wheelchair due to some sort of accident.

Chris played for Alabama and this boy was from the Birmingham area so we decided to send the pictures to him to see if he could get them autographed. Within a week I had them all back signed, Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Reed and many others. Taking a few minutes out of his busy day sure made one young man really happy.

Jim

The worst Bill that I ever met was, not a big surprise, Bruce Smith who was just downright dickish both times. Now, I dont talk to these guys like some of the posters here do, but I was trying to get an autograph from him when I was younger. We were pushed up against the chain fence, and I remember Bruce driving up in a golf cart, flanked by John Clayton of ESPN fame who apparently was giving him an interview. Bruce started signing EVERYTHING he could find...until the ESPN cameras shut off and Clayton walked away...he then smiled at the group and said "Well, my time is up" and walked away. Just for reference, I understand that atheletes have other things to do, but it was painfully clear he was just putting on a show for the cameras.

The nicest Bill I ever met was Steve Tasker, who I have actually had conversations with when I see him wandering around the camps. VERY nice man...I met Don Beebe once and, as another post already commented, he was also a great guy and very willing to tolerate me gushing over the fact he was a Buffalo Bill.

One time we were walked into a bar and headed straight for the restroom.  Some woman came in a couple of seconds later and asked him for his auto while he was standing at the urinal.

Sure, I can sign that for you. Uh... here, hold on to this for me.

as much as i loved watching thurman thomas play, he was my favorite player of that great bills era, one time i was in the first row hanging over the wall at Rich Stadium with kids all around trying to get his autograph cuz he was signing. Anyways i was basically face to face with him he was right infront of me while signing. I think there was a school there or camp or something and that camp's kids were all around me in which they were majority African American descent, i was young at the time, and thurman wouldnt sign my card but he was signing everyone else's, my dad just told me he would explain it "some day". i think back to it now and he's got my nomination.

366071[/snapback]

I had a similar experience with Kareem Abdul Jabar. He came into a record store I worked at, in NYC, back in the late 80's. It was a rainy, mellow Sunday morning. He had just lost his world class Jazz collection in a fire, and was working on replacing some of it. I was helping him, he was pleasent enough, but reserved. After helping him for about 20 minutes, it dawned on me that I had a sports magazine in my work locker, with him on the cover. I grabbed it, and asked him if he wouldn't mind signing it. He just glared at me, and ignored my request. I didn't press the issue, and felt kind of bad for not resisting the temptation, even though I knew better.

After he checked out, he stopped to talk to a bunch of our employees, most black. He signed autographs for everyone, but the white employees. Funny thing is, all of my co-workers knew I was a huge Celtics fan, and hated the Lakers. They all busted on me afterwords, saying things like "the Celtics suck, Kareem can smell Celtic on you...."

It is funny, working in the music business for many years, I have met huge numbers of very famous musicians (Jagger, Richards, Prince, Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Clapton, etc etc) and I never have the urge to ask them for autographs. Yet, get me around athletes, and I still feel like a 10 year old kid. In the job I have now, I work with the University Of Texas athletics department from time to time. Guys like Ricky Williams, Mike (Bills) Williams, and Roy Williams are mulling around fairly regularly. It makes me nervous...and I know that a lot of these guys are just big, immature, pampered as-holes!

not a Bills story- my buddy did some soundwork in North Carolina and did a Bob Dylan show. My friend went up to Dylan and said-"Mr Dylan-its such a great honor to be working with you. I am a huge fan and love what......" Dylan interjected-"Kid, go get me a coffee". My buddy gets more and more fired up everytime he tells that story

During training camp in 1997, I bought one of them souvineer Bills' footballs to get signed. I had a basement pub with some pennants and a few other Buffalo/Bills stuff, and I thought the ball would be a nice addition.

After the workouts, my wife kept pushing me to get some autographs. I don't really give a damn about autographs and didn't want to bother with it. Finally, I approached a couple of the players. The first was John Fina, who had his leg all wrapped and iced, sitting on a golf cart, was talking up some chick who I'm guessing wasn't his sister. I extended my hand, sharpie, and football, and asked him to sign. He gave me the biggest eat shiite look, then reluctantly signed it. Made me feel about 2 inches tall. Thought I'd try one more time. Got about the same thing from Kent Hull.

I immediately thought to myself, "you a$$holes. I've been supporting this team since before you fuggers were born. Screw youse.

Only later did I think about the whole autographs for cash business. It didn't occur to me at the time that they don't like signing for adults for this very reason. As if I was gonna start my retirement fund with John Fina's autograph.

One of the nicest guys was fellow Georgia resident and Bills' hall of famer Billy Shaw, who sat across the aisle from me on the flight to Buffalo a couple of years ago.

We struck up a conversation and I think he was surprised I knew who he was. Without asking, he handed over his hall of fame and AFL Championship rings for me to inspect. While I was doing that, he reached into his briefcase and pulled out a couple of his personalized HOF cards which he signed and gave to me. A very pleasant and personable guy who seemed to enjoy talking about the glory days.

We talked for 5 or 10 minutes then both went back to our magazines and paperwork. I saw him the a couple of days later at the season opener, along with Lou Saban and others from the 60's teams, who were at the 50 yard line being commemorated.

It's got to be trying getting bugged for autographs and stuff all the time, but that goes with the territory. I think I could deal with it for a few years, considering the millions many of them make.

BTW - I was in the neighborhood for some work-related stuff yesterday and drove by Takeo's new Atlanta crib. Didn't see him out front, but if I had, I definitely wouldn't have asked for his autograph. His house backs up to a main road. Maybe next time I drive by, I'll throw the worthless Fina/Hull football over the fence and into his pool.

:doh: OK, especially those of you who live in Buffalo and have asked for autographs, tried to have a conversation, etc. Who is number one in arrogance, rudeness, and self-importance? Share your nomination and the reason.

364922[/snapback]

It was extremely rude of Scott Norwood to miss that kick

:doh: OK, especially those of you who live in Buffalo and have asked for autographs, tried to have a conversation, etc. Who is number one in arrogance, rudeness, and self-importance? Share your nomination and the reason.

364922[/snapback]

When I was about 6 I saw Darryl Talley at the mall. I was super excited ran over to him and asked for his autograph. He didn't even acknowledge me and my friend standing in front of him. He made eye contact then walked away.

D@*!

t-r

not a Bills story- my buddy did some soundwork in North Carolina and did a Bob Dylan show.  My friend went up to Dylan and said-"Mr Dylan-its such a great honor to be working with you.  I am a huge fan and love what......"    Dylan interjected-"Kid, go get me a coffee".  My buddy gets more and more fired up everytime he tells that story

366408[/snapback]

That is a funny story! :P

Dylan is one of the last people I would ask for an autograph from...he ain't into the whole worship thing ("talkin' to me is just the same as takin' to you"), but has been known to come up with some great put downs in his day....Dylan is awesome, but probably not the most fan friendly mega-god, rock superstar... :ph34r:

Just reminded me of another story. While working in a record store a few years ago, Antonio Banderas comes in to the store with this gorgeous blond (obviously not his current wife!) and starts shopping around the classical section. One of the guys I work with, who is always starts flirting with the ladies, is helping Banderas and his companion. Apparently, my buddy starts getting a little too chatty with Antonios' girl. Banderas puts his hand on my buddies shoulder (my buddy is pretty short), leans over to him, and says in his ear, "my little friend, leave us now, and go say a rosary..."

During the 1976 season I visited training camp at Niagara U.

I was able to get OJ, Fergy, Joe. D, and a bunch of others.

All the players were real nice to us that day.

We even bumped into Mr Wilson, who was not quite as respected

as he is today. He signed for me, and chatted us up for quite a while.

The only negative situation we encountered that day was when

Head Coach Jim Ringo got really pissy with us.

He was a real prick. I was happy to see he was canned soon

afterward.

I used to work at Hillview on transit in depew. One sunday when the Bills were at New Jersey to face the Jets, I was bussing some tables and Rob Johnson was sitting there with some people. He spilled his drink (non-alcoholic) on the floor, then rushes to my boss yells at him to get us to clean it up. Naturally I have to clean the fuggin floor, the S.O.B. was asking for me to wipe stuff that weren't needed, and the !@#$ didn't even thank me. One of the other people at his table gave me a tip afterwards and apologized about his behavior

The only negative situation we encountered that day was when

Head Coach Jim Ringo got really pissy with us.

He was a real prick. I was happy to see he was canned soon

afterward.

367791[/snapback]

...only to return to coach what may have been the best offensive line in Bills history, years later... :angry:

Since this post has some non Bills story in it I'll add mine. In the early 60's for about 3 years in a row my father and I went to Pittsburg to watch the Dodgers play the Pirates, since I was a big Dodger fan. So the first year I headed down to the Dodger dugout to get autographs. They still had some of the greats from Brooklyn on the team Gil Hodges and Duke Snider. When I asked they curled up their fingers like they had writers cramp and wouldn't sign.

The ending of the story is the great satisfaction I got 30 something years later when Duke Snider was busted for not reporting his Autograph income. Justice was served. :angry: