Pat Williams on NFL Radio

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: pat...sayin stuff about the bills...and you were the jackass that said you were gonna give us the "hometown discount" and bolted as soon as more money was on the table...now thats BF quality hypocritical...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Pat Williams?

363713[/snapback]

The 350 pound defensive tackle the Bills had that couldn't tie up two blockers so the team had to go get another 350 pound defensive tackle that could.

Pat made a lot of tackes by diving into gaps and causing 1 yard losses, but in doing so he also left gaping holes that would get exploited for large gains and could not rush the passer at all. Williams put up tackle stats, but he played like a 290 pound DT near the LOS and like a 400 pound DT outside of that range.

They picked up Adams to be the clogger, but what they found out was that Adams was too explosive to be tying up blockers every snap. He told them so, and he backed it up. Williams and Adams were somewhat incompatible. I think the Bills would be a better defense with a big clogger next to Adams allowing him to use that explosive burst to pressure QB's while a Ted Washington type held down the line for the LB's. I don't see Edwards or Anderson filling that role at this point, unless Anderson plays a lot bigger than he weighs.

I've been lurking around the board for a while now but finally decided to sign up and post. I may be wrong but doesn't Ron Edwards actually weigh more than fat Pat? He could end up being a nice "clogger" to compliment Sam's explosiveness. Anyways, I think that our D will be just fine next year with an Edwards/Anderson rotation.

I've been lurking around the board for a while now but finally decided to sign up and post. I may be wrong but doesn't Ron Edwards actually weigh more than fat Pat? He could end up being a nice "clogger" to compliment Sam's explosiveness. Anyways, I think that our D will be just fine next year with an Edwards/Anderson rotation.

363763[/snapback]

Welcome aboard! According to the '03 and '04 media guides, Edwards (who came into the league at 298) now weighs 320 lbs. to Pat's 315..... but anyone who believes Williams played at anywhere near 315 the last few seasons probably wouldn't have a successful career as a carnival weight-guesser....

:w00t:

Edwards HAS bulked up since coming back from the shoulder injury, but I'm guessing Williams is still heavier in real life (as opposed to team-issued publications). Speaking of RE, he made some nice plays last year; I'll be very interested to see how he and Anderson look come training camp.

Welcome aboard! According to the '03 and '04 media guides, Edwards (who came into the league at 298) now weighs 320 lbs. to Pat's 315..... but anyone who believes Williams played at anywhere near 315 the last few seasons probably wouldn't have a successful career as a carnival weight-guesser....

:w00t:

Edwards HAS bulked up since coming back from the shoulder injury, but I'm guessing Williams is still heavier in real life (as opposed to team-issued publications). Speaking of RE, he made some nice plays last year; I'll be very interested to see how he and Anderson look come training camp.

363772[/snapback]

Edwards was a productive player in rotation last year, but he has been kind of a finesse player over his career. I hope he can become more physical at the LOS and still keep his decent pass rush ability. If Edwards finally reaches his potential this year, the defense could actually get better. Who do you think will be the 4th DT after Adams/Edwards/Anderson?

Edwards was a productive player in rotation last year, but he has been kind of a finesse player over his career.  I hope he can become more physical at the LOS and still keep his decent pass rush ability.  If Edwards finally reaches his potential this year, the defense could actually get better. Who do you think will be the 4th DT after Adams/Edwards/Anderson?

363777[/snapback]

Do we HAVE one? Oh yeah, Bannan and Sape are both still here (although I expect that to change for at least one of them by the end of August). I'm curious about the UDFA from Oklahoma State, LaWaylon Brown. I don't watch much Big12 ball; what's your take on him?

Edwards was a productive player in rotation last year, but he has been kind of a finesse player over his career.  I hope he can become more physical at the LOS and still keep his decent pass rush ability.  If Edwards finally reaches his potential this year, the defense could actually get better. Who do you think will be the 4th DT after Adams/Edwards/Anderson?

363777[/snapback]

Edward simply was not ready to perform in the NFL as a rookie and this is seen in that while players drafted both before him Clements, Schobel Henry, and after him (Spoon Jennings) became starters on this rebuilding team due to rebuilding and injuries he was inactive most of the season.

He did suck it up and improve his sophomore year becoming a starter, but his play and the D were still inadequate as GW put more faith in his scheme and thought incorrectly that uoungsters and fading talents could prosper in it (Robinson at LB and Jenkins at SS) and TD essentially recognized that while Jerry Gray at Dc was a talent that GW really needed to be moved aside as the D guru and he brought in Dick Lebeau and his run blitz scheme which surprisingly Jerry Gray quickly mastered (as seen by his play calling at DC that year and the choice of him over LeBeau and his continued success last year).

Edwards however was still inadequate his third year and TD recognized this and made a great negotiating move to get Sam Adams at a low price (some posters accused Adan signing as us taking a fat tub of goo which I thought was still an upgrade because even a fat tub of goo was an upgrade over Edwards as starter). Adams surprised almost all of us by not simply being better than Edwards but actually retaining one of the quickest first steps in the league which simply mandated a double team which both improved Williams game and the DE next to him.

Edwards also surprised me by improving his performance last year. I have never been an Edwards booster, but there are three objective reasons why this improvement may be the real deal and actually even continue to improve:

1. He has put on extra tonnage which does not hurt him for the role of run-stuffing required as evidenced by how he looks and his declared weight (often inaccurate but usually the other way of men being of a heavier weight than they claim publicly) but amazingly has not seemed to hurt his speed at all with the extra tonnage as evdenced by his sack totals last year.

2. He will be lining up next to Adams who gives the benefit to his partner that Adams demands the center to either DT him or at least watch him closley rather than wating Edwards in case Adams simply beats the G on him. Edwards has the ability to work one on one which he did not have teaming with Williams who is good but does not attract the attention away from Edwards that Adams does.

3. PW's comments that he will be difficult or impossible to replace were simply not the fact last year as he was actually replaced on a ton of plays on 3rd and even 2nd down with great effectiveness for the D as Edwards came in and was an effective pass rusher and even Denny was used at DT on some plays.

The objective sign look like Edwards may well do the job and even if not, there is the prospect Anderson and even the potential of moving Denny inside on some plays and employing the run blitz scheme so that Williams (if we are lucky) may not be missed much at all though he is a very good player.

I think TD put alot of the blame on Pat's agent as to why he wasn't back. I am content to put it on his agent in that if his agent could have had him back here and he didn't get it done and I assume if Pat was here he would be saying nice things.

Did you really think that Pat was going to make

these type of comments after he left?

1- Ron Edwards will do a much better job at NT than he did.

Ron will probably play alot more as well.

2- JP Losman is going to lead the Bills right to SB40.

He is such a great team leader. Much better than Drew.

3- Travis should shut his mouth and be TD's poop boy for the entire

season. After all he has a contract...right?

Did you really expect Big Pat to say this?

Pat was a class act with the local charities.

He will be greatly missed in that area.

Izell Reese who was my neighbor kinda agreed that P. Williams was worth it to resign. In my question, I asked him, do you think ron edwards or somebody else can step up next yr, or should we resign Pat. he said they'd be crazy not to resign him... At least for a couple of years... I remember when edwards was the starter in 02 or 01, can't remember, before we had a solid defense... We didn't get much pressure, and our ability to stop the run was a joke. Since then edwards has gained experienced, and bulked up. So we shall see this year. I think playing alongside sam adams, anybody can step their game up a notch or two.

A lot of people are talking about Ron Edwards.....what they really need to be looking for in training camp is if Anderson has improved in his second year.......

We know what Ron brings to the game....Anderson was a quality player out of Ohio State....a quality college defensive team....if he steps in and anchors while Sam Adams and Ron Edwards wreak havoc.....then we might see an IMPROVEMENT over last year.......

Did you really think that Pat was going to make

these type of comments after he left?

1- Ron Edwards will do a much better job at NT than he did.

Ron will probably play alot more as well.

2- JP Losman is going to lead the Bills right to SB40.

He is such a great team leader. Much better than Drew.

3- Travis should shut his mouth and be TD's poop boy for the entire

season. After all he has a contract...right?

Did you really expect Big Pat to say this?

Pat was a class act with the local charities.

He will be greatly missed in that area.

363818[/snapback]

Very good post. He was asked questions and he answered them from a player's point of view who just left the only organization he ever played with. He probably pretty pissed. He could have taken the high road, but I don't think he said anything too inflammatory. And he was a good player who will be missed. Hopefully, these other guys can step up and fill the void.

Pat had 3 uncomplimentary things to say about the Bills this afternoon on NFL radio.

1. The Bills have no replacement for him. It will be on Spikes and Fletcher to pick up the slack, but it will be hard without him.

2. JP Losman is not ready to be an NFL QB.  This was shocking, but he said he still has alot to learn to lead the team.

3. The Bills (I read it Donahoe) is screwing TH over.  He said either trade him or release him.  Give him time to learn the playbook for another team.

I think PW has sour grapes over not being resigned, but I think he is correct on TH.  Just my thoughts.

363622[/snapback]

1. He thinks too highly of himself. Does he have the LB's in Minny to make him look good?

2. Yes, he may be right but might have to eat crow. A rookie QB has lots to learn in the NFL. I certainly don't think JP has the where-with-all to win games for us now but he might be able to keep us in games (at least I hope so).

3. Releasing him is totally assinine. Would he say the same thing if TH was not African American. And I'm prob the biggest Travis fan on the board.

these are typical and expected sour grape responses from a player who wanted to be re-signed by his old team but was essentially told he wasn't worth the $$.

we would like for these athletes to always take the high road, but in fact that rarely happens. even the "good guy" drew bledsoe took parting shots once he arrived in dallas.

my belief is that these guys KNOW the bills are loaded for bear this year and they are pissed they were shown the door (for evidence of this, see shane matthews' comments earlier this week -- a freaking 3rd string QB who wanted to retire LAST year). thus, they lash out. i pay their comments no mind. good luck to you in minnesota, pat, and thanks for your years of service for our bills.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: pat...sayin stuff about the bills...and you were the jackass that said you were gonna give us the "hometown discount" and bolted as soon as more money was on the table...now thats BF quality hypocritical...

363718[/snapback]

the bills backed pat williams into a corner and gave him no option but to look elsewhere...........they gave him ONE "take it or leave it" offer in the summer and never made another offer, right up to the day he signed with the vikes.......no contact from when the season ended until he turned a free agent - zilch........what was pat williams supposed to do?

despite being disrespected like that, he still gave the bills the opportunity to match the offer he had, which they declined to do.........

it's funny how almost everyone that leaves the bills is considered some kind of a**hole by the masses around here......pat williams did nothing wrong and if you want to assign blame for why he isn't a bill, look no further then bills management who decided they didn't want to invest in the cost it would have taken to keep him here.......he did what he had to do, and that being said, i respect his "insider" opinion on the current team.......

the bills backed pat williams into a corner and gave him no option but to look elsewhere...........they gave him ONE "take it or leave it" offer in the summer and never made another offer, right up to the day he signed with the vikes.......no contact from when the season ended until he turned a free agent - zilch........what was pat williams supposed to do?

despite being disrespected like that, he still gave the bills the opportunity to match the offer he had, which they declined to do.........

it's funny how almost everyone that leaves the bills is considered some kind of a**hole by the masses around here......pat williams did nothing wrong and if you want to assign blame for why he isn't a bill, look no further then bills management who decided they didn't want to invest in the cost it would have taken to keep him here.......he did what he had to do, and that being said, i respect his "insider" opinion on the current team.......

363913[/snapback]

3. The Bills (I read it Donahoe) is screwing TH over. He said either trade him or release him. Give him time to learn the playbook for another team.

Please explain how the Bills are "screwing" Travis.

HE came in, hat in hand, wanting an extra year on his contract. TD gave it to him, along with a bonus. Now, after a dismal season, he is under contract for upwards of a million dollars, and is not participating with the team.

What's the problem?