Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

2 hours ago, Logic said:

In order not to derail the thread --  which was posted in the former section -- so that it winds up getting mired in endless bickering and moved to the latter section, I didn't go into nuanced detail about my opinions.

Lol. This place.

Wait, isn't that what this place is all about? 

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Why on earth would a school pick a football player, particularly a kicker, to be the commencement speaker?

He had given a similar commencement speech last year at his alma mater, Georgia Tech. Thus, they knew what they would get to hear.

Edited by DrW

4 hours ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

Transcript from Speech:

"For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

[Applause lasting 18 seconds]

She is a primary educator to our children. She is the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core, and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

As a man who gets a lot of praise and has been given a platform to speak to audiences like this one today, I pray that I always use my voice for God and not for myself. Everything I am saying to you is not from a place of wisdom, but rather a place of experience. I am hopeful that these words will be seen as those from a man, not much older than you, who feels it is imperative that this class, this generation, and this time in our society must stop pretending that the things we see around us are normal."

Full Text: Harrison Butker of Kansas City Chiefs Graduation Speech| National Catholic Register (ncregister.com)

This "Full Text" has some notable omissions.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I guess they will not invite him again:

"“As a founding institution and sponsor of Benedictine College, the sisters of Mount St. Scholastica find it necessary to respond to the controversial remarks of Harrison Butker as commencement speaker,” the statement on their website said. “The sisters of Mount St. Scholastica do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.”

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Let's do an experiment. 

Take Isabella Butker and some no name chick.  Let them use what Harrison calls their innate ability to want children. Let's give them two husbands and let them stay at home with 3 children.

Isabella gets: Harrison 

Lady # 2 gets an auto mechanic husband working 6 days a week, making $50k a year, no health insurance, section 8/850 square foot apartment, and an EBT card.

Which one cracks first?

😆🤣😂

Lesson... When preached the virtues of motherhood, who chucks that Butker BS out the window and begs for the $250,000 Catholic College education to be put to good use in the workplace!

😏

7 minutes ago, DrW said:

"“As a founding institution and sponsor of Benedictine College, the sisters of Mount St. Scholastica find it necessary to respond to the controversial remarks of Harrison Butker as commencement speaker,” the statement on their website said. “The sisters of Mount St. Scholastica do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.”

AND they didn't review the tone deaf commencement speech FIRST!!

That's just as bad as Reebok naming its new women's running shoe:

"The Incubus"

😆

You can't make this shi... up! From 1997:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-02-20-fi-30513-story.html

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

40 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Why on earth would a school pick a football player, particularly a kicker, to be the commencement speaker?

Duke University here..."Hold my Beer." LOL (They had Jerry Seinfeld as their commencement speaker this year).

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

What I don't understand is why anybody cares what a football player says at a parochial school graduation. 

When I was young I slept around big time and drank beer. If this guy made a speech condemning me and others of my ilk, I cannot stress enough how little I would care. If a person is gay, why would the comments of this person be of any importance at all to them? I'm being serious. I simply cannot fathom why anyone should care or even be injured in any way. Would said person stop being gay? Become more gay? 

I have three quite accomplished, wonderful daughters. They are proud women (and Bills fans LOL). If this person did make bad comments about women they would probably call him a name of sorts and completely forget about it the next day because comments like this are inconsequential in their busy lives. 

I think that today too many people think that everyone else simply HAS to agree with them. It is not a good omen for the country.

As always, jmo.

Whether his comments were "bad" towards women depends on the POV of the woman. If a particular young woman wanted to put all her energy into her career, and forego having children in order to do so, then maybe a woman like that would be annoyed by Butker's comments. If however a different young woman wanted to have kids, and saw her future children as more important than her future career, I'm guessing she wouldn't have any problem with Butker's comments at all. Why would she, when he's described her accurately?

Of those two types of women, which do you think is more likely to choose to attend a Catholic university? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Whether his comments were "bad" towards women depends on the POV of the woman. If a particular young woman wanted to put all her energy into her career, and forego having children in order to do so, then maybe a woman like that would be annoyed by Butker's comments. If however a different young woman wanted to have kids, and saw her future children as more important than her future career, I'm guessing she wouldn't have any problem with Butker's comments at all. Why would she, when he's described her accurately?

Of those two types of women, which do you think is more likely to choose to attend a Catholic university? 

Yeah... BUT that also depends on her choice for a partner.

Let's not forget that it wasn't just women and single income households the BUTT-ker was holding up with great virtue. On the back end of the commencement speech he was was attacking the LGBTQ+ community.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Let's not forget that it wasn't just women and single income households the BUTT-ker was holding up with great virtue. On the back end of the commencement speech he was was attacking the LGBTQ+ community.

Who make up probably less than 1% of the population. They should feel free to make a speech "attacking" kickers imo.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrW said:

Smart of them to invite him then.

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Who make up probably less than 1% of the population. They should feel free to make a speech "attacking" kickers imo.

"Tyler Bass and Scott Norwood should be exiled to Siberia for the rest of their life.  Anyways, Happy Graduation and may all your dreams come true."

Edited by Doc Brown

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Why does the size of the minority play a role? Just because a minority is small, does is justify attacks on them?

BTW, if you google the number, it hovers around 5% of the population.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I just reread the speech. He didn't mention the LGBTQ community, or sexual orientation, or anything else pertaining to that subject. If you don't believe me, the transcript of the speech is here. 

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine

Please don't spread misinformation.

Edited by Rampant Buffalo

On 5/15/2024 at 1:59 PM, BillsFooteball said:

America is divided so I don’t even care about the irrelevant political rant he went on. Issue is it was homophobic and misogynistic. 

That's the crux of the issue with Butker's speech.  He revealed himself as just another privileged straight male using religion to justify his homophobia and misogyny.

On 5/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, RkFast said:

A Catholic person at a gathering of Catholic individuals gave a speech where he/she/they promoted the values of living as a Catholic.

Now replace the word "Catholic" with the name of any other social/political identity or class and let me know if its still something to be "outraged and offended" about. 

Always amazes me how in the modern world where literally everything is looked at through the prism of extreme dogma, the group that basically invented the damned word is the only one thats denounced for practicing it. 

Butker's views are a perversion of modern Roman Catholic teaching and practice going back to the 1960s and the Second Vatican Council.  When the Pope blesses homosexuals and working mothers, who the hell is Butker and people who think like him to promote homophobia and misogyny in the name of the Church?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, DrW said:

Why does the size of the minority play a role? Just because a minority is small, does is justify attacks on them?

BTW, if you google the number, it hovers around 5% of the population.

He didn't even mention the lbqf whatever "folks" lol.