Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'd be okay with this. We don't have a field stretching WR on the roster. He gives us a baseline for that role, albeit a low baseline.

Curtis Samuel exists

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That guy was dropping passes all year, even had a reporter asking him “whats wrong?” In the playoffs he made some tough catches. The WR needy Chiefs moved on, I don’t think we should pursue him.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd be okay with this. We don't have a field stretching WR on the roster. He gives us a baseline for that role, albeit a low baseline.

He was effective in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Right, like I said the Bills don't have a field stretching WR on the roster.

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He's better than Quintez Cephus, KJ Hamler, Mack Hollins, and probably Chase Claypool. His career production relative to theirs makes this indisputable. 

He also provides a downfield threat that the Bills currently lack. Given what it will likely cost to sign him, I'd be fine with this. It would materially improve and diversify the Bills' WR corps. Not as much as we'd all like, of course, but the salary cap is the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Brand J said:

That guy was dropping passes all year, even had a reporter asking him “whats wrong?” In the playoffs he made some tough catches. The WR needy Chiefs moved on, I don’t think we should pursue him.

He’s competing for 4th WR here and gives some veteran insurance for Coleman. He’s exactly the type of WR you sign that won’t block a young player from snaps, but can fill in if the young player can’t handle it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MWK said:

Better than Mack Hollins

Jeebus. You’re right. And that’s a rough realization to come to terms with. Shakir, Samuel, Coleman and the likes of MVS, Hollins, etc. Ouch. MVS could legit be WR3 if Coleman isn’t ready.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

I wouldn't classify this as a deep ball, nor would I classify Khalil Shakir as a field stretcher or downfield threat. Curtis Samuel's strength is in RAC ability, too, not so much downfield stuff. And Coleman is an unproven rookie, so we don't know WHAT kind of downfield ability he might offer.

As of this moment, I'd say we have to unproven POTENTIAL field stretchers: KJ Hamler and Keon Coleman. The former can't stay healthy, and the latter has never taken a snap in the NFL and can't run by corners on a go route.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

we already know he's awful

take a chance on developing a young new guy

he's there to compete for the back end of the rotation

Locks: (3) Samuel, Shakir, Coleman

Likely (1) : Justin Shorter

Intermediate to deep Guy Competition (1) : MVS, Chase Claypool, Tyrell Shavers, Mack Hollins

Speed/ST Guy (6) : KJ Hamler, Andy Isabella

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I wouldn't classify this as a deep ball, nor would I classify Khalil Shakir as a field stretcher or downfield threat. Curtis Samuel's strength is in RAC ability, too, not so much downfield stuff. And Coleman is an unproven rookie, so we don't know WHAT kind of downfield ability he might offer.

As of this moment, I'd say we have to unproven POTENTIAL field stretchers: KJ Hamler and Keon Coleman. The former can't stay healthy, and the latter has never taken a snap in the NFL and can't run by corners on a go route.

Why wouldn't you consider Shakir that? He's a 4.4 40 kid. We asked him to do other stuff because Davis and Diggs were locked into their roles.  But this season he's going to get a healthy dose of the 2020- 2022 Diggs role which was basically any route in the playbook.

He's gonna be a deep threat, and so are Samuel and Coleman. At least that'll be the roles they'll have, until they show they can not

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3