Any grill masters?

Went to my local butcher yesterday... And I copped a 20 ounce dry aged bourbon infused ribeye steak 

Damn I'm so excited but admittedly I'm not a grill Master 

What is the best way to prepare this not cheap steak.. and make it the best way possible 

Please and thank you

Salt your steak liberally hours before you intend to cook it or even the night before.  Let it sit uncovered in the fridge while it seasons. Pat it dry before cooking.  Then toss it on a ripping hot charcoal grill or in a ripping hot cast iron pan until desired doneness.  If you are concerned about over cooking you could look into a reverse sear method which is relatively fool proof.  Sus vide is completely idiot proof.  I prefer to cook my steaks hot and fast.

This steak sauce is a winner as long as you have good beef stock or some demi glace.  

https://girlcarnivore.com/brandy-peppercorn-sauce/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

If cooking hot and fast, an instant read thermometer is your friend.  ThermoWorks makes a great one.  Take the guess work out of the equation. If you work a grill station at a steakhouse going by feel, sight, or time may work but for most of us that is a recipe for disappointment.  Know your target temp.  Rare 125, medium rare 135, medium 140+.   Cooking past medium is inadvisable.  I think ribeye is perfectly served medium rare.  I will eat rare and raw beef but ribeye often eats fatty and sinewy when cooked below medium rare in my opinion. You want to render some of the copious fat.  I think 137 is the Goldlilocks zone for ribeye where you have great texture, juiciness, and flavor.  I cook a good amount of ribeye as its my wife's go to comfort meal.

Your meat will continue to cook after you take it off the heat.  So if you're aiming for a perfect medium rare, pull it around 128-130 and let the residual cooking land you at 135.  Let your meat rest about 10 minutes after pulling from grill/pan.

My cook on a grill will be, ripping hot coals, 5 minutes per side for a 1.5" to 2" steak, check temp, then probably 1 or 2 minutes more flipping every minute until desired doneness.  Be careful with flare ups. Cooking over open flame for too long leads to bitter taste profiles.

In cast iron, I get the pan hot over medium high heat, hit the pan with a thin film of grapseed oil, put meat in then toss in a knob of butter and your aromatics (thyme, rosemary, a shallot) then sear 3 minutes per side, flipping every minute after that until desired temp.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Salt your steak liberally hours before you intend to cook it or even the night before.  Let it sit uncovered in the fridge while it seasons. Pat it dry before cooking.  Then toss it on a ripping hot charcoal grill or in a ripping hot cast iron pan until desired doneness.  If you are concerned about over cooking you could look into a reverse sear method which is relatively fool proof.  Sus vide is completely idiot proof.  I prefer to cook my steaks hot and fast.

This steak sauce is a winner as long as you have good beef stock or some demi glace.  

https://girlcarnivore.com/brandy-peppercorn-sauce/

Technically you win because boiling it does not require a grill.  😂 

I’m a sous vide guy, but you need the equipment. Regardless, just looking at that sauce recipe made me hungry. I remember the first time I had something like that was in Acapulco after 8th grade. That was a while ago, and I still remember it.  I’ll still bite if it’s on a menu and I’m going steak, but I’ve never bothered to make it. Maybe that will change. 

EDIT: My cook temp is 134.5 for some reason. I just settled on that.  If I’m doing a full tenderloin or something, you can always throw it back on to sear a little more for people whose eyes scream MOO!  You can’t “uncook it”. 

Edited by Augie

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If cooking hot and fast, an instant read thermometer is your friend.  ThermoWorks makes a great one.  Take the guess work out of the equation. If you work a grill station at a steakhouse going by feel, sight, or time may work but for most of us that is a recipe for disappointment.  Know your target temp.  Rare 125, medium rare 135, medium 140+.   Cooking past medium is inadvisable.  I think ribeye is perfectly served medium rare.  I will eat rare and raw beef but ribeye is unpleasant and sinewy when cooked below medium rare in my opinion. You want to render some of the copious fat.  I think 137 is the Goldlilocks zone for ribeye and I cook a good amount of it. 

Your meat will continue to cook after you take it off the heat.  So if you're aiming for a perfect medium rare, pull it around 128-130 and let the residual cooking land you at 135.  Let your meat rest about 10 minutes after pulling from grill/pan.

Awesome thanks 👍 

• Like (+1) 1

ngl grilling isnt as foolproof as my method ive been developing for a couple yrs now

get your steak to room temp and then s&p

throw it in a hot cast iron on stovetop w butter and smashed up garlic cloves for about 1 min/side, basting the whole time

then put the cast iron into 400degree oven, 5-7mins depending on how you like it

take it out and put it on cutting board, let it sit for about 10mins

What everyone else said.  Ripping hot. Thermometer to take the guess work out. Pull 8-10 degrees below desired doneness and let rest.

I will add that a carbon steel pan is fantastic for cooking steak stovetop. Cooks like cast iron, but easier to care for.  Heat distribution is fantastic! 

I use my carbon steel pan for homemade pizza. Amazing crust!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

ngl grilling isnt as foolproof as my method ive been developing for a couple yrs now

throw it in a hot cast iron on stovetop w butter and smashed up garlic cloves for about 1 min/side, basting the whole time

then put the cast iron into 400degree oven, 5-7mins depending on how you like it

Without knowing the thickness, that could get you all kinds of results.

31 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How long are you leaving your steak out to get it to room temp?

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How long are you leaving your steak out to get it to room temp?

So it depends on if I just bought a really nice one from the butcher who had it in the display which is basically ready to go

But if it's coming out of the fridge I'll take it out and let it sit for a half hour or so

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So it depends on if I just bought a really nice one from the butcher who had it in the display which is basically ready to go

But if it's coming out of the fridge I'll take it out and let it sit for a half hour or so

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak

Just going to leave this here for you...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

The reverse sear aka redneck sous vide is the way to go if you don't already have or want to invest in a sous vide.

https://www.seriouseats.com/reverse-seared-steak-recipe

We went to a cooking class at a Viking store years ago. The leader used to work at Ruth’s Chris, and we seared the heck out of it then put it in around 500 I think. That is how I would do it without sous vide. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Went to my local butcher yesterday... And I copped a 20 ounce dry aged bourbon infused ribeye steak 

Damn I'm so excited but admittedly I'm not a grill Master 

What is the best way to prepare this not cheap steak.. and make it the best way possible 

Please and thank you

Lots of ketchup.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

The reverse sear aka redneck sous vide is the way to go if you don't already have or want to invest in a sous vide.

For thicker cuts reverse sear never fails for me. Actually did a couple filets on Saturday night. Season well ahead of time then roasting rack in the oven at 250 for about 35-40 minutes, flipping once halfway. When it hits 115-120 internal, pat dry with paper towels before searing in a ripping hot cast iron with a touch of avocado oil for about 45 seconds per side. Let it rest and enjoy! 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak

Just going to leave this here for you...

I agree with some of that but not all.

My goal is always to flip just once. It makes it easier for me to judge how well done the steak is as I rely heavily on seeing the juices rising before the flip to determine doneness. The other thing is that for presentation purposes  I like the one set of grill marks you get from a single flip.

I try to avoid cutting into the steak, but sometimes I will. I've never noticed a difference in how the steak comes out but again the presentation suffers.

14 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

After having your first sous vide steak you will never want one done any other way. I’ve been doing it that way for 12+ years now. It might take a time or two to dial each cut/grade in to your exact liking, but the results are well worth it. And for what steak costs the investment of a precision cooker so the job is always done right is relatively minor. Plus it’s so good for so much more. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak

• Like (+1) 2