Jim Nagy-Here's what #BillsMafia can expect from seniorbowl rookies:

🦬 DS Cole Bishop (Rd. 2/Pick 60)- Athletic interchangeable safety should be Day 1 starter & long-term staple with Pro Bowl upside. Man-cover reps in Mobile helped boost his stock. Top jersey-seller.

🦬 DT DeWayne Carter (Rd. 3/Pick 95)- Instinctive, active & powerful 3-tech is immediate rotational piece & could push for starting job at some point as rookie. Likely eventual captain & mayor of Buffalo.

🦬 RB Ray Davis (Rd. 4/Pick 128)- Instantly upgrades No. 2 RB spot as more physical 3-down compliment to James Cook. Sneaky fantasy TD vulture. 

🦬 LB Edefuan Ulofoshio (Rd. 5/Pick 160)- Top-testing & A+ character three-down backup who will play right away on ST. Native Alaskan ready for cold temps. ❄️

🦬 DE Javon Solomon (Rd. 5/Pick 168)- Sawed-off & powerful FBS sack leader has rush talent to earn rotational role first year. Looser version of Bryce Huff coming out of college. Easy choice as media & fan favorite.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 22

Ulofoshio's description really is right in the mold for what Beane likes in the young LBers he drafts. I'd say he has a type.

If Solomon is even half of as productive winning his pass rushing snaps as Huff was last year...that's a solid pick. 

If Carter can be the primary backup to Oliver and rotate in consistently and Bishop is playing a lot I see some upside in both. For me, it's not about if Bishop or Carter start, but how many snaps can they eat up during a game. If Bishop does end up starting in that near 100% of the defensive snaps at safety role that Hyde and Poyer often would, great. If Carter can get 40% of the snaps at DT behind Oliver...huge plus.

I think Davis is going to have a nice role as well. Possibly will be "the guy" in the next 2 years when Cook comes up for a new deal. I think Cook carries the load again this year and we see more of a split the following year as they transition. Kind of like it was during Motor's last season here. 

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ulofoshio's description really is right in the mold for what Beane likes in the young LBers he drafts. I'd say he has a type.

If Solomon is even half of as productive winning his pass rushing snaps as Huff was last year...that's a solid pick. 

If Carter can be the primary backup to Oliver and rotate in consistently and Bishop is playing a lot I see some upside in both. For me, it's not about if Bishop or Carter start, but how many snaps can they eat up during a game. If Bishop does end up starting in that near 100% of the defensive snaps at safety role that Hyde and Poyer often would, great. If Carter can get 40% of the snaps at DT behind Oliver...huge plus.

I think Davis is going to have a nice role as well. Possibly will be "the guy" in the next 2 years when Cook comes up for a new deal. I think Cook carries the load again this year and we see more of a split the following year as they transition. Kind of like it was during Motor's last season here. 

I think Bishop starts.  Carter is primary back up to Ed.  Next season he is given the chance to win the 1T job.  Davis is the back up to Cook. Plays the Murray role from last year but has more juice.  Johnson is a solid role player but wouldnt want him to approach 10 touches a game.  I think in a few years this will be looked at as a very good draft.  The success of Coleman will determine the perception of the overall class.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Carter going to push for a starting job over Oliver???

Why not?  Until this last year Oliver was a bust. He was on fire until he hit his bonus.

Why would it be a bad thing if he can out perform him? It means the team improves and isn't that the goal?  Imagine both being on the field for passing downs?  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Watching since 1964 said:

🦬 DT DeWayne Carter (Rd. 3/Pick 95)- Instinctive, active & powerful 3-tech is immediate rotational piece & could push for starting job at some point as rookie. Likely eventual captain & mayor of Buffalo.

Nice effort with your overall write up but there is absolutely no way Dwayne Carter “could push for a starting job” at 3-tech when we have one of the best in the NFL in Ed Oliver who is also one of our best players. Carter will be a good backup and insurance just incase of injury. He’s a good player but doesn’t come close to Ed Olivers level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think Bishop starts.  Carter is primary back up to Ed.  Next season he is given the chance to win the 1T job.  Davis is the back up to Cook. Plays the Murray role from last year but has more juice.  Johnson is a solid role player but wouldnt want him to approach 10 touches a game.  I think in a few years this will be looked at as a very good draft.  The success of Coleman will determine the perception of the overall class.   

Buffalo's defensive scheme is very complex and demands a great deal mentally from its safeties.  That might be the thing that keeps Bishop from starting day one.  I do expect he'll be a starter before the season progresses very far though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, wppete said:

Nice effort with your overall write up but there is absolutely no way Dwayne Carter “could push for a starting job” at 3-tech when we have one of the best in the NFL in Ed Oliver who is also one of our best players. Carter will be a good backup and insurance just incase of injury. He’s a good player but doesn’t come close to Ed Olivers level. 

I was very surprised that Nagy wrote Carter could push to start as a rookie! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Watching since 1964 said:

I was very surprised that Nagy wrote Carter could push to start as a rookie! 

My bad! Sorry, I thought you wrote that. Nagy is very misinformed with the Bills situation and what we have already at the 3-tech position in Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Carter going to push for a starting job over Oliver???

Carter has played the 1 Tech and could grow into that position. I expect him to also get reps there as well in camp

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Why not?  Until this last year Oliver was a bust. He was on fire until he hit his bonus.

Why would it be a bad thing if he can out perform him? It means the team improves and isn't that the goal?  Imagine both being on the field for passing downs?  

I would LOVE if Carter is the next Aaron Donald.  Don’t see it happening though, especially in his rookie season.

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Carter has played the 1 Tech and could grow into that position. I expect him to also get reps there as well in camp

If he can play 1 Tech, that’d be more likely path to eventually start on this team.  Like I said to another poster, if he somehow supplanted Oliver and was the next coming of Aaron Donald that would be amazing, but I don’t really see that happening.  Especially in his rookie season.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Do we only have 1 starting DT now?

Yes, one starting 3 Tech, who is Oliver.

4 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Well that would be great right?

No that would mean Jones or Oliver were probably playing pretty crappy.

7 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

I just hope that Damar Hamlin doesn’t make the roster. It’s a great story and all, but he’s got no business being in the NFL, as a player.  

Although he is a liability, I've definitely seen way worse safety play. Johnson was complete trash for example.

5 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Buffalo's defensive scheme is very complex and demands a great deal mentally from its safeties.  That might be the thing that keeps Bishop from starting day one.  I do expect he'll be a starter before the season progresses very far though.

I think that is what made him so highly coveted.  I dont know if film alone makes him a 2nd round pick.  They said how tough the position is than said they feel he is equipped for it. 

• Agree 1

I’m not sure Carter is going to be a 1 tech. He’s not the best against the run. Seems like a great backup DT for Oliver though 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

No that would mean Jones or Oliver were probably playing pretty crappy.

Although he is a liability, I've definitely seen way worse safety play. Johnson was complete trash for example.

I would trade him and a sixth round pick the the Steelers for a 7th. I had high hopes for Johnson, was such a good run defender for the Canes. Not bad in coverage either.