Jags rumoured to get back to back London games again in 2024

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

That is possible.  It might be teams playing the second week get a bye week the week before so they have the flexibility to go over earlier to acclimate.  

Honestly, that's probably the only solution that would overcome the competitive advantage that the Jags would otherwise have. Either that or have the Jags play successive West Coast games on their return to nullify the gift they were given by the league in the second of the back-to-back London games. This doesn't fix the stupidity of the problem created in the first place, but it would at least partly assuage my spiteful nature to see the Jags get screwed too. 🤷‍♂️:lol:

2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

It's going to continue to happen, it's going to be a permanent fixture as the NFL continues to push to expand interest worldwide.  This is nothing new, the NFL has been very public about its intentions, nobody should be surprised about this. It's good for the NFL long term (which indirectly benefits the Bills). Get over it.

How is it good for the NFL beyond selling merchandise?  

They can't expand much beyond 32 teams as there aren't even 32 QBs who can realistically hope for a Lombardi.  There are not enough very good players for the summer leagues today to get good viewership.   

If moving existing teams to Europe how will that be fair? Would the euro team(s) have all 8 away games in a row or would they be jet lagged most of those away games?  How would playoffs go?

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

What a tale of two halves. Prior to the Jaguars game it was "BILLS FANS ARE TAKING OVER LONDON, WE ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE, ABBY ROAD, LONDON BRIDGE, I JUST SLEPT WITH THE QUEEN ON TOP OF BIG BEN!!" to "it's not fair, this is terrible for the NFL, Terry must refuse to fly the team over!! Reparations!!"

Wasn't the queen already dead before then? You're sick man.  

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Actually this is a continuation of the experiment. Now that teams have witnessed the problems the Bills faced, will they do things differently than the Bills did. 

I'm pretty sure the travel was just an excuse. Plenty of other teams traveled to London, none of them complained about jet lag. Let alone used it as an excuse for the next 2 weeks as well.

"Travel" was just used as a cover for "poor coaching".

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

The NFL is too big I don't see there ever being a true demise but I feel like the NFL will start to go the way of the current NBA.  Ratings and revenue will still be great but the purist fans of football will lose interest and the NFL will generally be talked about how much better the product was 10-15 years ago.  There's a lot of people on the board that deny this but I already see it in a lot of places how people talk about the NFL this way.  It's sad but money talks and that's all that really matters for the Owners of the league.  

I mean the NBA is pretty much at an all time high. Franchises are worth a ton. Theyre raking in $$$ from foreign markets. The game is fun to watch and they have a lot of stars with very few players getting into trouble (certainly not at NFL levels).

Maybe some old guys miss the days of tackle basketball from the 80s. But not many.

If you told Goodell what he is doing is going the way of the NBA, that would only encourage him.

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sleeby said:

How is it good for the NFL beyond selling merchandise?  

They can't expand much beyond 32 teams as there aren't even 32 QBs who can realistically hope for a Lombardi.  There are not enough very good players for the summer leagues today to get good viewership.   

If moving existing teams to Europe how will that be fair? Would the euro team(s) have all 8 away games in a row or would they be jet lagged most of those away games?  How would playoffs go?

I think you are missing the broader economic picture here.  I'm not talking about expansion of teams or merchandise. This is about worldwide interest in the NFL and generating more tv dollars, which is the vast majority of the NFL's revenue.  Why do you think the NBA was so intentional about Chinese interest? They aren't putting an NBA team in China. They make billons off the TV dollars though. The NFL is trying to expand the their viewership worldwide. This is no secret, they have been very intentional and public about this (and its common business sense). 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If the NFL insists on doing this, IMO the best way is to send 4 teams over. Maybe the whole AFC South. Have Jax vs Tennessee and Indy vs Houston the first week for instance. Then switch dance partners and schedule Jax vs Indy and Tennessee/Houston. That way everyone has the same benefit of being in place for 2 weeks. 

love this!

7 hours ago, transient said:

I would love to see the team that faces them second rest their starters and give a half-ass effort as a “yeah, well FU right back” to Goodell. 

Yeah after injuries sustained I would just forfeit. Play the 2s.

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah after injuries sustained I would just forfeit. Play the 2s.

2s are valuable depth. If I was the GM of the team that got hosed with that slot this year, I'm putting an ad in the local paper the day the schedule comes out advertising:

The Buffalo Bills are offering a once in a lifetime opportunity for a select few fans to live out their lifelong dream of playing for their favorite team. Don't miss your chance to be one of 22 lucky people who will be selected at random, flown across the pond, and get the chance to suit up on gameday for one special regular season game this year. Imagine carving your name in the annals of NFL lore with those of your childhood heros. Why wear a foam helmet on gameday when you can wear a real one? This is sure to be a day the NFL owners and commissioner will never forget.  

Airfare, meals and lodging included. Must be 21 or older. Certain restrictions may apply. To participate a waiver of liability must be signed and will be strictly enforced.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DC Grid said:

This will really stink if they pull the nonsense of making it the Bills “home game” again. 

I was there last season, and the Jags should NEVER be allowed to be the “visiting team” there. They have been cultivating that market since 2013. Making them the road team was a joke. A very bad joke. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I was there last season, and the Jags should NEVER be allowed to be the “visiting team” there. They have been cultivating that market since 2013. Making them the road team was a joke. A very bad joke. 

They probably have more fans in London then they do in Jacksonville.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gregg said:

If they do get B2B London games, then the team that plays them in the 2nd game over there should have a bye week the week before. Allows them to go over there earlier if they want to adjust to the time change. At least give the team the option to do that.

Many players like to spend their bye week with family at home

8 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Just move them to London at this point. 

This stupid "experiment" is likely a prelude to that. Gotta figure out the travel and impact to teams with actual fans before it becomes a permanent fixture.

15 hours ago, sleeby said:

Greed. That will be the demise of the NFL.  Time zones, team travel problems (jet lag), not enough elite positional players for even 32 teams, language barriers, native preferred sports (soccer), etc.  Top of the NA food chain and just being greedy and spreading too thin and wide.

South Park Jobs GIF

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I think you are missing the broader economic picture here.  I'm not talking about expansion of teams or merchandise. This is about worldwide interest in the NFL and generating more tv dollars, which is the vast majority of the NFL's revenue.  Why do you think the NBA was so intentional about Chinese interest? They aren't putting an NBA team in China. They make billons off the TV dollars though. The NFL is trying to expand the their viewership worldwide. This is no secret, they have been very intentional and public about this (and its common business sense). 

Good points.  Thank you. 

Edit - is vt for Vermont? 

Edited by sleeby

10 hours ago, transient said:

I would love to see the team that faces them second rest their starters and give a half-ass effort as a “yeah, well FU right back” to Goodell. 

Ya see, the owners, yes, guys like Terry Pegula,  are all on board for this money grab, so there is virtually no chance that would ever happen, not that I would be upset about it, but no HC is gonna do this independently. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

They probably have more fans in London then they do in Jacksonville.

I’ve been to both now, Jax many times, and I believe that to be true.