Camp Battles

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Why the hate on Johnson? Everyone has him as a cut. He ran hard last year. His pass protection was fine and he has a low cap hit.

Why is everyone acting like he was Reggie Bush running backwards in mud? You have to have some experience there besides Cook.

He is still RB2 until Davis shows he's better than he is in camp.  Even if Davis wins the RB2, Johnson is making this team.  Gore is going to have to do something extraordinary to beat him out.

We kept 5 WRs last season, but I'm leaning more and more toward 6 this season.  The top 3 are set in Shakir, Samuel and Coleman, but after that it's becoming more and more like a throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.  Hollins is making the team because of his special teams duties, but if Brady/Beane/McD are working toward a matchup offense each week, then I can see Hamler making the team as the speed threat and then one of Cephus, Claypool or Shorter also getting a shot as a power WR.  If Claypool has a good camp, I see him winning that job.  Hard to ignore a guy only 25 and had back to back 800 yard+ seasons. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think the Bills carried 5 WR's last year.  A 6th could make it but it will have to be about teams

If they keep 6 WRs the math will work out that 1 will not dress most weeks.

That WR could have more WR potential than ST worth.

I agree that WR5 needs to be a ST guy.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If they keep 6 WRs the math will work out that 1 will not dress most weeks.

That WR could have more WR potential than ST worth.

I agree that WR5 needs to be a ST guy.

That’s why Hollins was signed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Why the hate on Johnson? Everyone has him as a cut. He ran hard last year. His pass protection was fine and he has a low cap hit.

Why is everyone acting like he was Reggie Bush running backwards in mud? You have to have some experience there besides Cook.

I don't hate Johnson at all, I liked him.  But I just feel that with Gore's background, the team may tend to take a chance on him more if he has a good looking camp and pre-season.  Assuming Gore has a good camp, team may feel easier to sneak Johnson onto PS too.

Johnson played well last year and personally I was happy that the Bills re-signed him.  But just feel a little bit like Gore may be one of these sneaky good players that somehow fell completely out of the draft, but shouldn't have.  Or he could have fallen through for a good reason too, will see.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 3:12 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

LB - (6) Milano, Bernard, Williams, Ulofoshio, Morrow, & Spector EDIT: Cut Jones?

LB - The top 3 are written in stone, but I can see 6 LBs on the 53 man roster as they invest in Morrow (750k dead cap), drafted Ulofoshio and Spector looked solid in limited reps.  I think they keep all 6 as someone will certainly steal Spector if cut and sent to the PS.  Apparently we are adding a 7th LB to the mix in former pro-bowler Deion Jones.

I thought LB would be Beane most stable position depth chart this off-season.  the 4 returnees all played well last season and IMHO looked to need not much help.  Instead Beane added Morrow, then drafted Ulofoshio and then added even more depth in Deion Jones.   Now we have 7 LBs who one can make an argument could (should?) make the team.   If memory serves we only carried 5 last season. Why so many? 

I think there are 2 possible explanations besides simple camp depth.  First, is Milano not recovering as well as they hoped.  If this is the case, the signings of Morrow and Jones make sense.  Second, is McD contemplating using more of a traditional 4-3 this season?  If this is the case, carrying 6 LBs next season again makes sense.  If Jones has a good camp, Spector won't last too long on the PS.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

On 5/4/2024 at 1:17 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

I thought LB would be Beane most stable position depth chart this off-season.  the 4 returnees all played well last season and IMHO looked to need not much help.  Instead Beane added Morrow, then drafted Ulofoshio and then added even more depth in Deion Jones.   Now we have 7 LBs who one can make an argument could (should?) make the team.   If memory serves we only carried 5 last season. Why so many? 

I think there are 2 possible explanations besides simple camp depth.  First, is Milano not recovering as well as they hoped.  If this is the case, the signings of Morrow and Jones make sense.  Second, is McD contemplating using more of a traditional 4-3 this season?  If this is the case, carrying 6 LBs next season again makes sense.  If Jones has a good camp, Spector won't last too long on the PS.

It's possible that McD will use more 4-3 this season.

But the long-term trend in the NFL is toward more Nickel and Dime defenses.  It would seem weird if McD reversed himself.   

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's possible that McD will use more 4-3 this season.

But the long-term trend in the NFL is toward more Nickel and Dime defenses.  It would seem weird if McD reversed himself.   

Certainly possible. 

As previously discussed in numerous threads, the trends of the NFL offensive and defensive chess match is constantly ebbing and flowing. 

As soon as teams started with the full on aerial assault, defensive moved back into the two she’ll look. 

As a counter to the 2 high, teams are becoming increasingly comfortable running the ball into those looks.

Transitioning back to a more traditional 4-3 on certain downs could be a reality. Especially considering the type of players they’ve invested in at LB over the last few years (Bernard, Dorian, the new kid) I could see them wanting to have the LB depth to feel they can be more versatile out of the 4-3 base. 

That said, I highly doubt we see it as something that takes over. This would mean taking Taron Johnson out of the game for extended snaps. He is one of the best nickle corners and doesn’t get nearly enough credit for mixing it up in the box in the run game as he deserves. 

• Like (+1) 1

CB - Top 4 set in stone.  Lewis' versatility also makes him a lock.  The question is can Hardy and/or Ingram show enough to earn a job.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:55 PM, GunnerBill said:

Lewis will make it but as the 4th safety behind Bishop, Rapp and Edwards. Hamlin will be cut. 

This is the path to keeping both Hardy and Ingram IMO. 

We currently only have 3 boundary corners that are locks (Kaiir, Rasul, Christian). I think with Hardy likely in the mix on specials, and allowing Lewis to be a bit of a Swiss Army knife, Damar becomes expendable. 

They’ve kept Ingram around for the past few seasons, and much like Lewis, must like him in their system. 

The only curveball here is if we get a late addition, a la Micah Hyde, who could come in and shake things up. 

On 5/3/2024 at 3:13 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

He is still RB2 until Davis shows he's better than he is in camp.  Even if Davis wins the RB2, Johnson is making this team.  Gore is going to have to do something extraordinary to beat him out.

We kept 5 WRs last season, but I'm leaning more and more toward 6 this season.  The top 3 are set in Shakir, Samuel and Coleman, but after that it's becoming more and more like a throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.  Hollins is making the team because of his special teams duties, but if Brady/Beane/McD are working toward a matchup offense each week, then I can see Hamler making the team as the speed threat and then one of Cephus, Claypool or Shorter also getting a shot as a power WR.  If Claypool has a good camp, I see him winning that job.  Hard to ignore a guy only 25 and had back to back 800 yard+ seasons. 

I don't understand anyone writing off Ty Johnson, he played well towards the end of last season. He averaged a good 4.4 yards per carry, he had 8.9 yards per catch and a touchdown in addition to solid play as a backup to end last season he's only 27 with not a lot of tread on his tires as he never had a heavy amount of volume. He will likely be in the lead to be the RB2 going into camp with Davis in a battle to supplant him. I think if Gore Jr shows out and Ty Johnson has a lackluster camp then maybe there is some displacement possibility. But it is a far greater chance Ty makes the roster as the RB2 than he gets cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't understand anyone writing off Ty Johnson, he played well towards the end of last season. He averaged a good 4.4 yards per carry, he had 8.9 yards per catch and a touchdown in addition to solid play as a backup to end last season he's only 27 with not a lot of tread on his tires as he never had a heavy amount of volume. He will likely be in the lead to be the RB2 going into camp with Davis in a battle to supplant him. I think if Gore Jr shows out and Ty Johnson has a lackluster camp then maybe there is some displacement possibility. But it is a far greater chance Ty makes the roster as the RB2 than he gets cut. 

I agree which is why I said Johnson makes the team even if Davis wins the RB2 job.  Like Cook and Davis, Johnson runs hard and can catch the ball out of the backfield.  Unlike last season, we'll have 3 backs that the coaches can insert without changing the game plan.