Definition of a #1 receiver

24 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This question has been more than adequately answered by @Beck Water @GunnerBilland @Thrivefourfive

I am sensing that you are looking for some sort of support that Kincaid is that player. He isn't and shouldn't be. We need a WR who is fast enough and gains separation down the field to challenge defenses. Kincaid will be a good one but not a substitute. Just because the Chiefs made it work (more out of necessity) doesn't mean we should strive to emulate them

What my question has elicited is that there are multiple opinions on what constitutes a # 1.  I highlight Kincaid because the Super Bowl champs have made things work with a TE that is their primary guy.  I just think all the yelling about having a #1 WR is lazy.  

Would I like to have a guy like Chase? Sure.  Was Diggs a #1, at least according to some of the descriptions in this thread?  Yeah.  But was he the last half of last year?  Not really, if you believe guys like Greg Cosell.  

The most important thing to me for the offense is Joe Brady.  Can his offense use a group including Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid et al effectively..

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Herc11 said:

I think Kincaid has the potential, just isn't quite there yet. We'll see if his growth continues into year 2.

I think Kincaid becomes Josh’s first look frequently next season, plus guys like Samuel and Shakir.  When Josh needs a checkdown, he’ll have his RBs.  And when it’s just a complete play breakdown and Josh is scrambling, that’s where I think Coleman will be at his best.  From what Coleman said in his press conference plus looking at his highlights, that’s where I think he adds a different dimension for this team.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The most important thing to me for the offense is Joe Brady.  Can his offense use a group including Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid et al effectively..

Can Brady use the ones on our roster effectively? Imo, yes based on last few games he was the OC.

Is that receiver room adequate? Absolutely not. We need at least one vet and/or speedy WR with good hands. Otherwise the overall offense is going to be limited and again dependent on Allen's superman efforts

32 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Can Brady use the ones on our roster effectively? Imo, yes based on last few games he was the OC.

Is that receiver room adequate? Absolutely not. We need at least one vet and/or speedy WR with good hands. Otherwise the overall offense is going to be limited and again dependent on Allen's superman efforts

You have a veteran speedy guy already.  Isabella.  

4 hours ago, Governor said:

You don’t need an elite QB but you need a QB who’s having an elite season.

i can give you the examples of why this isn't true, but my point was rhetorical anyway

having more excellent players should be the goal. finding reasons as to why they may not be components of certain SB winning teams is missing the point imo

The definition of a #1 WR is a guy that defensives must account for every snap, but! your number one can’t do it alone, he must! have other receivers that are known to have a high catch percentage with YAC capability, or he will not be effective due to being double teamed regularly. It’s never just one guy…, 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You have a veteran speedy guy already.  Isabella.  

I said with good hands too 😃

Guy hasn't amounted to much in his career and we cannot rely on him to be the missing piece. It's a total folly to think our WR room is complete 

36 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I said with good hands too 😃

Guy hasn't amounted to much in his career and we cannot rely on him to be the missing piece. It's a total folly to think our WR room is complete 

It’s equally folly to assume any guy we’d have taken on day 3 would automatically be better than guys currently on the roster.  I think they’ll add a guy after June 1.

• Like (+1) 1