New Bill - former Lion Quintez Cephus signed (Update: Now released)

MAJBobby

On 4/28/2024 at 9:40 AM, FireChans said:

Beane would rather sign a JAG fifth rounder from 2020 over drafting a fifth round WR in the great WR 2024 draft. 

Honestly, make it make sense. 

I mean we got a highly motivated player who just had his livelihood taken away and now he’s getting another shot with a top QB. Let’s see if he takes advantage 

41 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I mean we got a highly motivated player who just had his livelihood taken away and now he’s getting another shot with a top QB. Let’s see if he takes advantage 

He's likely in competition with Hollins in that role we never seem to be able to fill (Kumerow, Sherfield) - you'd eat dead cap on hollins, but you'd fill in with a lower salary so it's probably a wash.  Also potential practice squad injury reserve if he looks the part. 

... Something tells me we're not "done" at the position with this signing though 🙂 

10 hours ago, bearstobills said:

Losing Brandon Beane would be a fatal blow to this organization.  You could talk me into a McDermott replacement.  But Pegula is smart.  He knows why the franchise is thriving.  BB is a top 5 GM in the league. 

Is he?  Or is he just really fortunate to have hit on Allen?  Overall, this roster is not that talented and most of the top talent came from prior to him taking over, so we are in cap he’ll, not as talented as KC and can’t buy our way out of it.. doesn’t sound all that great if you take the rose colored glasses off. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Is he?  Or is he just really fortunate to have hit on Allen?  Overall, this roster is not that talented and most of the top talent came from prior to him taking over, so we are in cap he’ll, not as talented as KC and can’t buy our way out of it.. doesn’t sound all that great if you take the rose colored glasses off. 

Why fortunate to hit on Allen?  How about savvy or wise or incredibly bold to stand strong on a guy that pundits, fans, and fellow gm's were calling a bust even before the draft.  As for this roster not being talented....I disagree.  It was talented enough to win the AFC East for the 4th straight year, a playoff game, and take the eventual super bowl champions down to the last minute.  Or was that just "fortunate"?  And most of the top end talent being from before him.....other than Dawkins and Milano, who on Earth are you speaking of?  Every other player on that roster was his acquisition.  Cap hell?? The Bills currently have 5 million in AVAILABLE cap space for next year.  Compare that to SF who are 30 million OVER, Cleveland who are 52 OVER, and NO who are 73 OVER.  As for our roster not being as talented as KC....perhaps.  But why compare us to the one team that won the super bowl?  We did draft 28, so clearly there are 27 teams with a worse roster than us.  You do realize that over the past 5 years the Bills have the 2nd most wins in the NFL.  I guess we're just fortunate.  I wonder why San Diego with Herbert and Jax with Trevor Lawrence aren't just as fortunate.  If my glasses are rose colored, yours are bleak, dark, and downright depressing.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/28/2024 at 9:57 AM, Roundybout said:

FWIW, Stevie Johnson LOVES Hamler. 

Fun game to play is see if you can't count the number of Bills player in that clip.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:17 AM, Beck Water said:

I hate to break it to you guys but he ran a 4.62 40 yd dash

He needs to ***** catch the ***** ball and ***** hold on to it.  11.1% drops and 4 fumbles is not acceptable for a featured guy.

I've said it before guy needs to invest in a jugs machine, also it's year 3, so it really behooves him to get it figured out. RBs don't make sense to get 2nd contracts usually but if it's one that also functions as a major part of the passing game that's different.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, HappyDays said:

Keon Coleman name dropped Hamler in his first interview after getting drafted. Said something like "fit in with KJ Hamler and those other guys up there." I thought that was interesting at least. Did someone on the Bills clue him in that Hamler was going to have a bigger role on the team than anybody has thought? Or did he just see his name on the roster and assume? If Hamler is fully healthy he has legit field stretching ability. Feels like quite a long shot to bet on though.

I think I remember his press conference maybe him saying that he feels healthier than he's been in a long time. Obviously take it with a grain of salt from the player but that'd definitely be something I'd like to see, it's sad when things like that get in the way of a player even more when you can see he's got some talent.

On 4/28/2024 at 12:24 PM, Beck Water said:

Aaron Quinn believes both Shorter and Cephus will show out well in training camp and preseason, generating a lot of "buzz" amoung  excessively enthusiastic and devoted fans (stans = stalkers + fans)  who will gather together in a vocal support group (hive).

Basically that they're gonna be the new Isaiah Hodgins

They're no Duke Williams though.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bearstobills said:

Why fortunate to hit on Allen?  How about savvy or wise or incredibly bold to stand strong on a guy that pundits, fans, and fellow gm's were calling a bust even before the draft.  As for this roster not being talented....I disagree.  It was talented enough to win the AFC East for the 4th straight year, a playoff game, and take the eventual super bowl champions down to the last minute.  Or was that just "fortunate"?  And most of the top end talent being from before him.....other than Dawkins and Milano, who on Earth are you speaking of?  Every other player on that roster was his acquisition.  Cap hell?? The Bills currently have 5 million in AVAILABLE cap space for next year.  Compare that to SF who are 30 million OVER, Cleveland who are 52 OVER, and NO who are 73 OVER.  As for our roster not being as talented as KC....perhaps.  But why compare us to the one team that won the super bowl?  We did draft 28, so clearly there are 27 teams with a worse roster than us.  You do realize that over the past 5 years the Bills have the 2nd most wins in the NFL.  I guess we're just fortunate.  I wonder why San Diego with Herbert and Jax with Trevor Lawrence aren't just as fortunate.  If my glasses are rose colored, yours are bleak, dark, and downright depressing.

Josh Allen is the franchise, without him, this roster is bottom 10 in talent.  Take away Dawkins and Milano, it’s worse.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Josh Allen is the franchise, without him, this roster is bottom 10 in talent.  Take away Dawkins and Milano, it’s worse.

And the Chiefs without Mahomes are not in the playoffs.  We can do this all day.  Beane drafted Josh Allen.  It was his first draft pick.  In the biggest moment of his career, he hits a grand slam.  I grew up in Chicago.  In the history of that franchise, not a single GM did in hundreds of draft picks what Beane did with one.  Give the man his due!!

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

And the Chiefs without Mahomes are not in the playoffs.  We can do this all day.  Beane drafted Josh Allen.  It was his first draft pick.  In the biggest moment of his career, he hits a grand slam.  I grew up in Chicago.  In the history of that franchise, not a single GM did in hundreds of draft picks what Beane did with one.  Give the man his due!!

you are delusional, but I’ll give him credit, he got the right guy.   That said, it WAS fortunate bc there were talks of him going #1 and he wound up being the third QB taken.  Since that time he’s spent us into a hole where we couldn’t pursue any WR talent this year because he missed on all the key positions in the draft for years, the gave away his only successful use of a draft pick on a WR, when he dumped Diggs last minute.  So the team goes into the season far worse off than it was at WR last year and they had one of the weakest WR rooms in the league to start 2023.  The DL got worse, we have a guy who’s never started at C, taking that roll.  Back ups at both S positions and basically we pray Josh Allen can bail him out again. 

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

you are delusional, but I’ll give him credit, he got the right guy.   That said, it WAS fortunate bc there were talks of him going #1 and he wound up being the third QB taken.  Since that time he’s spent us into a hole where we couldn’t pursue any WR talent this year because he missed on all the key positions in the draft for years, the gave away his only successful use of a draft pick on a WR, when he dumped Diggs last minute.  So the team goes into the season far worse off than it was at WR last year and they had one of the weakest WR rooms in the league to start 2023.  The DL got worse, we have a guy who’s never started at C, taking that roll.  Back ups at both S positions and basically we pray Josh Allen can bail him out again. 

Not delusional.  Thoughtful and rational.  I know the moves I like and the moves I don't.  I love my team though.  And these last 5 years, we have the 2nd most amount of wins in the NFL, so he must be doing something right.  I see tons of strong draft choices, free agent acquisitions, and trades.  We could discuss all of those if you wish.  I also see the misses......because I am not delusional.  I'm sure you'll pump up KC as some wonder team who surrounds their elite qb with perfect weapons.  But here are Veach's skill player moves since he's been there;

-Spent 2nd round picks on Mecole Hardman and Skyy Moore

-Spent a 1rst round pick on Clyde Edwards Helaire

-Inherited the best receiver in the NFL, won a superbowl with him, and traded him away in his prime

-Traded a 3rd round pick for Kadarius Toney

But he has his rings, so all is forgiven.  To me delusional, not to mention depressing, cynical, and bleak, is not recognizing that Beane has won the AFC East 4 straight years in a row, garnered the 2nd best record in football, and 4th most playoff wins in the last 5 years.  If you think that's all Josh....think again.  The defense has been top 10 every year also.  If all you needed was a qb, why aren't Herbert and Lawrence leading their teams to victory after victory?

On 4/29/2024 at 11:56 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

I think also he’ll serve as a cautionary tale for Coleman and maybe a bit of a mentor. 

• Simon changed the title to New Bill - former Lion Quintez Cephus signed (Update: Now released)

It was quite the run for Cephus here.

What was your favorite Quintez Cephus Bills moment? Mine was coming on here on the day that he was signed to make a witty post about him "being a gamble" and seeing immediately after logging on that at least a dozen others had the same idea before me. 

Thanks for the memories.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Haha (+1) 1