New Bills WR. Former Lion Quintez Cephus

MAJBobby

17 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Think this is the source of most of my frustration

It wasn't a given that we would improve at those positions through the draft but they didn't even try

One more time for everyone in the forum:

BEANE CANNOT SCOUT RECEIVERS.

if you're looking for him to do so, it's like looking for a zebra to have spots not stripes 

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To this day in terms of draft value points spent in the first 3 rounds of the NFL Draft Sean McDermott (one year running the draft) has spent more than Brandon Beane (seven years running the draft). We have a Carolina drafter doing Carolina drafting. 

It's all about Beane.

Thank you!! That’s been my issue. It is certainly a bigger issue for me because of my concerns with Coleman but it’s a bigger point. If you have Josh Allen, my belief is that you will win BECAUSE of him not WITH him. You need to do everything you can to build up his playmakers. You need to give him guys that can make plays on their own, besides for him. Give Josh someone that is going to catch a 6 yard slant and take it 65 yards. Instead, the philosophy is Josh will side step 2 rushers, roll right, make another guy miss, toss it 45 yards down the field, to some guy that make shake free 9 seconds into the play, in hopes of scoring. I think it’s a mistake.

Defensively, you need pass rush, LBs that can cover and smart DBs that don’t give up big plays. Defensively, the scheme is what you should win with. Offensively, you should win with the talent. The Bills have not adopted that philosophy. They’ve spent prime assets and big FA dollars on the defense. The irony is that the defense has largely been the same whether Dane Jackson, Levi Wallace and Christian Benford are back there as opposed to 1st rounders in Tre and Elam. They gave Von a zillion dollars and the pass rush is the same. They used a 2nd on Basham and are better off with Kinsgley Jonathan, etc…

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thank you!! That’s been my issue. It is certainly a bigger issue for me because of my concerns with Coleman but it’s a bigger point. If you have Josh Allen, my belief is that you will win BECAUSE of him not WITH him. You need to do everything you can to build up his playmakers. You need to give him guys that can make plays on their own, besides for him. Give Josh someone that is going to catch a 6 yard slant and take it 65 yards. Instead, the philosophy is Josh will side step 2 rushers, roll right, make another guy miss, toss it 45 yards down the field, to some guy that make shake free 9 seconds into the play, in hopes of scoring. I think it’s a mistake.

Defensively, you need pass rush, LBs that can cover and smart DBs that don’t give up big plays. Defensively, the scheme is what you should win with. Offensively, you should win with the talent. The Bills have not adopted that philosophy. They’ve spent prime assets and big FA dollars on the defense. The irony is that the defense has largely been the same whether Dane Jackson, Levi Wallace and Christian Benford are back there as opposed to 1st rounders in Tre and Elam. They gave Von a zillion dollars and the pass rush is the same. They used a 2nd on Basham and are better off with Kinsgley Jonathan, etc…

They have spent too much on their Dline. That is what it comes down to. In terms of dollars and draft capital. Beane has made 21 picks on the first two days of the draft in his reign. The breakdown is:

QB - 1

RB - 3

TE - 2

WR - 1

OL - 3

DL - 6

LB - 3

DB - 2

There are only two numbers that stand out as egregious there to me - it is 1 receiver and 6 DL. Everything else in terms of resource allocation feels within the normal bounds of expectation for someone trying to build and maintain a strong roster over 7 seasons (probably 1 RB too many as well, but again not egregious). And then you add to it: Star, Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Trent Murphy, Daquan, Settle, Jordan Phillips, Ford, Austin Johnson..... and that is only the higher profile guys. Which other position has had so many reasonable established FA vets thrown at it in his time as GM? And people will say "ah that's McDermott's fault it is the rotation.... and I buy that to a point but I crunched the numbers after last season, will dig them out again, and other than KC (where 3 guys played 70%) the top 7 or 8 teams in the league were all broadly in line with the Bills on Dline rotations. The difference is they were almost all using one or two really low investment guys as part of it. We consistently have high picks and high dollars invested up there. And you don't need to take the tea leaves in any event. Just listen to Beane speak. He has said countless times he "makes no apologies" for investing there. It is just how he believes in building. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you are largely right, and I don't think any of Beane's picks in this draft are such that one can argue they lack a plausible logic. I personally even like the flier on the British giant in round seven. I just do believe he has a quirk about WR from his Carolina days, and I do think it's a paleolithic tendency. 

I would have taken McConkey. I would have traded up from 60 for Mitchell, and he could have gone to 50 to get him. I'd have been willing to use some 2025 capital if necessary to do that. You don't get Bishop that way, and I like Bishop. I would then have taken Hicks at 95, because he is a safety I think can play in our system. I don't know why he slid. That has cascading effects, because they did need to add DT.

McConkey, after a long process, became my guy.  But by the time the draft came, I just wasn't excited about him.  And trust me, the guy is a master route runner/separator.  He would've been plug and play.  But I give Beane credit for taking Keon.  He's somewhere between Josh Allen and Greg Rousseau in terms of draft picks.  Allen had the 56 percent completion percentage that enraged Bills fans, and Coleman runs a 4.61 40.  Beane looked past both of those numbers and took a chance.  Rousseau also was not explosive and most of his sacks came from the inside.  He was roundly derided by many draft analysts.  He's been good and I think he'll get even better.  Keon fits the same mold.  There's just something about him that will figure this out.  I'd be fine he had a Greg Rousseau type of career...day 1 starter, core player.  

As for adding a player later....yes, yes, and yes.  Walker would have been a brilliant addition.  And who knew Hicks would be there at 95.  They love Bishop though, so at least they got their guy.  And yes, they needed a DT, and I think he'll be a good addition. But man oh man, if Walker hits, it will be tough to watch.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Do we agree that the team they’ve lost to for 3 of the last 4 years is going to go down as a dynasty with one of the best quintets in NFL history in Mahomes, Kelce, Jones, Reid and Spags?  We were an executed play/‘s away in 2 of those season enders.  It’s his job to find a way….but the same can be said for the players.  Injuries, execution and play calls all play a huge factor in why his roster didn’t beat a dynasty  

Exactly my point. 

If you want to get past the modern dynasty, being the third or fourth best GM with significant weaknesses is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

5 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

McConkey, after a long process, became my guy.  But by the time the draft came, I just wasn't excited about him.  And trust me, the guy is a master route runner/separator.  He would've been plug and play.  But I give Beane credit for taking Keon.  He's somewhere between Josh Allen and Greg Rousseau in terms of draft picks.  Allen had the 56 percent completion percentage that enraged Bills fans, and Coleman runs a 4.61 40.  Beane looked past both of those numbers and took a chance.  Rousseau also was not explosive and most of his sacks came from the inside.  He was roundly derided by many draft analysts.  He's been good and I think he'll get even better.  Keon fits the same mold.  There's just something about him that will figure this out.  I'd be fine he had a Greg Rousseau type of career...day 1 starter, core player.  

As for adding a player later....yes, yes, and yes.  Walker would have been a brilliant addition.  And who knew Hicks would be there at 95.  They love Bishop though, so at least they got their guy.  And yes, they needed a DT, and I think he'll be a good addition. But man oh man, if Walker hits, it will be tough to watch.  

I live near Athens, and was and am very big on McConkey. If he stays healthy, he's going to be really good. And there's no question that McConkey and Mitchell can gain separation. I hope for the best on Coleman. Beane drafts traits, and he has some.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Exactly my point. 

If you want to get past the modern dynasty, being the third or fourth best GM with significant weaknesses is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

You’ve outdone yourself with this ridiculous statement.  

so which best GM in the league should we hire?  Do tell.  Maybe we can offer the ravens and chiefs some wings for life if they allow us to hire Eric Decosta or Brett Veach?  Maybe Howie Roseman is available?  

The greatest dynasty in nfl history didn’t even have a top 10 GM.  

Is Jason Licht a top 5 GM?  He beat them.  The Bengals don’t even have a GM.  They beat them.  

With the team Beane has put together, over the last 3 years, we just have to avoid major injury, game plan properly and execute.  The 2020 team wasn’t good enough, but I think we were the last 3 years.  Injuries, game planning and execution (or lack thereof) eventually led to our seasons ending.  Not Brandon Beane.  If you want to put losing (in the playoffs) on anyone, I’d put it on McD over Beane

JMO.

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

So this has to tell us that the Bills viewed Cephus as a better low cost investment than a Day 3 WR?  

Beane clearly had this in the works yesterday and mentioned it in his press conference. 

I just don’t get it.

After Coleman, Samuel & Shakir, we have JAG’s battling it out for 4-6. 

We have 3 #3s as a #1.  3/3=1, just have to do the math.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They have spent too much on their Dline. That is what it comes down to. In terms of dollars and draft capital. Beane has made 21 picks on the first two days of the draft in his reign. The breakdown is:

QB - 1

RB - 3

TE - 2

WR - 1

OL - 3

DL - 6

LB - 3

DB - 2

There are only two numbers that stand out as egregious there to me - it is 1 receiver and 6 DL. Everything else in terms of resource allocation feels within the normal bounds of expectation for someone trying to build and maintain a strong roster over 7 seasons (probably 1 RB too many as well, but again not egregious). And then you add to it: Star, Jefferson, Butler, Addison, Trent Murphy, Daquan, Settle, Jordan Phillips, Ford, Austin Johnson..... and that is only the higher profile guys. Which other position has had so many reasonable established FA vets thrown at it in his time as GM? And people will say "ah that's McDermott's fault it is the rotation.... and I buy that to a point but I crunched the numbers after last season, will dig them out again, and other than KC (where 3 guys played 70%) the top 7 or 8 teams in the league were all broadly in line with the Bills on Dline rotations. The difference is they were almost all using one or two really low investment guys as part of it. We consistently have high picks and high dollars invested up there. And you don't need to take the tea leaves in any event. Just listen to Beane speak. He has said countless times he "makes no apologies" for investing there. It is just how he believes in building. 

Which good GMs don’t believe in building the DL?  

do you think WR is more important than DL in terms of winning championships?  

QB > DL > OL that isn’t bad > WR imo.  

Beanes biggest problem, imo, isn’t choosing to build his team from the DL out, it’s his choices of who he invested in.  Some years he invested in poor players. Some years he invested in good players that disappeared in the playoffs.  And then there’s Von.  A guy that was performing at a very high level until injury made him irrelevant both playoff runs he was in the team.  

edit-  yes, I agree that he should’ve invest more in the WR position than he has.  I just don’t see a problem investing in the DL.  He just needed to do a better job at it.  Without a good DL, you aren’t sniffing a SB.

Edited by NewEra

46 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Shorter and Shakir better ball out this year or I genuinely think it’s time to look at a McBean replacement.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

QB - 1

RB - 3

TE - 2

WR - 1

OL - 3

DL - 6

LB - 3

DB - 2

You know what I'm going to say to this post.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

In this iteration of the NFL? Absolutely.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

One more time for everyone in the forum:

BEANE CANNOT SCOUT RECEIVERS.

if you're looking for him to do so, it's like looking for a zebra to have spots not stripes 

It definitely feels this way. But he doesn’t have to. He just needs to hire scouts who can and then trust them to give him the right intel. 

24 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Shorter and Shakir better ball out this year or I genuinely think it’s time to look at a McBean replacement.

Losing Brandon Beane would be a fatal blow to this organization.  You could talk me into a McDermott replacement.  But Pegula is smart.  He knows why the franchise is thriving.  BB is a top 5 GM in the league. 

15 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The guys you're thinking of are all best suited to the slot.  Samuel can play on the outside, though he's probably a better fit inside.  What Buffalo lacks is a true X receiver with speed.

Coleman did time a 4.52 at his proday and that would be right in line with that X with Speed to be honest.  Also his Michigan St tape shows that speed much better than his FSU tape

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Which good GMs don’t believe in building the DL?  

QB > DL > OL that isn’t bad > WR imo.  

Beanes biggest problem, imo, isn’t choosing to build his team from the DL out, it’s his choices of who he invested in.  Some years he invested in poor players. Some years he invested in good players that disappeared in the playoffs.  And then there’s Von.  A guy that was performing at a very high level until injury made him irrelevant both playoff runs he was in the team.  

edit-  yes, I agree that he should’ve invest more in the WR position than he has.  I just don’t see a problem investing in the DL.  He just needed to do a better job at it.  Without a good DL, you aren’t sniffing a SB.

It's both. I have no problem investing in the Dline but when it is your highest investment unit both in FA and the draft and yet at no point in your entire reign has it been the strength of the team (we have had pretty good dlines most years but never dominant ones) then both the scale of your investment and how you made it should be questioned. I think that is legitimate. 

And especially when it has come at the expense of OL and WR at times. 

53 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You know what I'm going to say to this post.

Yea you are gonna pick on the one guy out of all those dline investment who has actually been worth the squeeze. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's both. I have no problem investing in the Dline but when it is your highest investment unit both in FA and the draft and yet at no point in your entire reign has it been the strength of the team (we have had pretty good dlines most years but never dominant ones) then both the scale of your investment and how you made it should be questioned. I think that is legitimate. 

And especially when it has come at the expense of OL and WR at times. 

Yea you are gonna pick on the one guy out of all those dline investment who has actually been worth the squeeze. 

I agree that his investment hasn’t panned out to date.  Partly due to the players he signed.  Partly due to injury.  His 2 biggest investments in 2022 missed the playoff loss to Cinci.  Both were injured the following year.  Leonard floyd was a great signing….until he disappeared.  And we were 4th in sacks.  

I also agree that he should’ve invested more into WR.  No doubt about it.  I just don’t question his motives to make DL the number one investment.  It matters more than anything else besides QB.  I stand by that.  

edit- but his clear misses and injury on the DL have hurt us. 

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Coleman did time a 4.52 at his proday and that would be right in line with that X with Speed to be honest.  Also his Michigan St tape shows that speed much better than his FSU tape

Can you provide a link?  I googled his pro day results and everything I could find said he only did positional drills at his pro day and stood on his combine testing numbers.

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Can you provide a link?  I googled his pro day results and everything I could find said he only did positional drills at his pro day and stood on his combine testing numbers.

Ian tweeted this out: