Logic's Buffalo Bills Draft Review -- The more things change, the more they stay the same

Logic

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

It was an overall solid draft but I’m very very disappointed after all the talk of being “explosive” and then drafting no one who fits that mold 

I wish some putative journalist would ask Beane about that point blank, but I'm sure he'd just say the board worked out a certain way, and they had to adapt.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

It was absolutely a solid draft. There's no question, we have put young leadership in place, and strengthened weak spots on the roster.

We have not sufficiently improved the WR room, which I think should have been a priority. It's not clear to me it ever will truly be such with this regime.

They need some elite playmakers. I don't think Coleman is that. He's a better Gabe Davis, which isn't terrible, but not enough.

Agree on everything but addressing WR/Coleman.

If it happens or not, Coleman has alot of potential and could be "that guy".  Did Beane make the best decision on the WR he chose?  We will see.  But Coleman checks a lot of boxes from his college production, but not without concerns.

Regarding WR in general:

1. We've now invested a #1 and #2 (basically a #1) in back to back drafts on receiving targets.

2. Group effort approach VS Stud 1/2 approach: I'd prefer to have a stud 1 and 2, but we've seen offenses be successful with the "group approach" (like we are planning).  Teams like Jax, GB, Steelers (although their QB situation has been a mess).  

We add a proven vet who can gives us some downfield plays outside is the missing piece, as depth/rotational guy.  MVS, Chark types...they fit this mold.

Now, this Beane plan could blow up in his face.  OR perhaps Brady is overestimating his ability to design/craft an offense in this mold.  If we take a signicant step back on offense this year, Beane/Brady likely on the hot seat.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, zevo said:

He did a fantastic job working the board. And ended up with the guy they were going to grab at 28. Not really sure what people were expecting. Mission accomplished. Go bills 

Hahaha. Here we go. Since now Diggs is gone…Allen is the one we focus on not loving us anymore. Good gracious. Get a grip. 

It's not that at all. If they start flat. Handcuffing him with the approach McDermott wants, he has to get frustrated.

The competitor he is, he sees the other WR rooms across the league and he can't be happy

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I wish some putative journalist would ask Beane about that point blank, but I'm sure he'd just say the board worked out a certain way, and they had to adapt.

is explosive a single metric judgement now?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Literally Keon Coleman

I think Keon Coleman has some real strengths to his game, but "explosive" is not a word I'd use to describe him.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

This front office will never build around Allen… and I think the biggest reason for that is Sean McDermott. 

So many assets given to McD’s defense.

This isn’t really a defense league anymore. You get flagged & fined for playing defense. Best you can do on D is have guys occupy space akin to a 🏀 thrown-up-hand vs. a 3-point shot. What you do isn’t really gonna affect things. You just have to hope the guy/s on Offense makes a mistake, and then you claim credit for “defense.”

If you can’t keep up on Offense against teams that are getting faster and faster, you have no shot.

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yeah and I just can't see Allen putting up with it.  Allen has an out after 2025.

Josh Allen is under contract through the 2028 season.  He will sign an extension with the Bills at the end of the 2026 season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I believe that. I don't think Mcdermott wants a "josh Allen". He is dead set on run the ball, play good D and maybe control the clock.  It makes me wonder how much longer Allen is going to put up with it.

I concur. This damn complimentary football bs is getting real old.  Been watching football over 50 years and I have heard this term being used over and over again now more than ever the past 5.  Here is a novel idea score in bunches and stop worrying about scoring too fast or praying that your defense can hold on the last drive.  It has been proven way too much over the past few years that this is a recipe for failure against good teams especially in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

I concur. This damn complimentary football bs is getting real old.  Been watching football over 50 years and I have heard this term being used over and over again now more than ever the past 5.  Here is a novel idea score in bunches and stop worrying about scoring too fast or praying that your defense can hold on the last drive.  It has been proven way too much over the past few years that this is a recipe for failure against good teams especially in the playoffs. 

You are old enough to remember the NYG offense under parcels. Have big players, Bleed the clock, play good D.

I am betting that is where we are headed.

This draft reminds me a lot of the first McDermott draft, where it seemed the bills placed high priority on character, locker room fit, leadership and college production

Slight change from when the bills were draft more on athleticism and potential the last couple years 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

But when they moved Diggs, they created a massive hole at WR. You can't equate the need at WR with the need for a backup DT or RB. Yes those were both needs but only after adequately addressing WR. 

Our only hope is a trade for a veteran.

We did address receiver with our first pick. Beane wasn't even hiding it this year going from top priority to the next to the next in order of roster needs. And yes, we need to sign/trade for a veteran as well. 

So I was thinking, Coleman's skill set and body type is similar to Gabe Davis (taller, not a speedster, get jump balls) so its possible their plan is to have Coleman replace Davis as the #2.  Coleman is young and has a higher ceiling.  Then they will trade for a WR1 in FA or get one next offseason.

We've seen his FSU highlites, so just conentrate here on the MSU highlites, where he's playing against some really good competition with a very average QB.

Keon, insspite of geing a 4.5 - 4.6 guy, show the ability to win deep (explosive) and the ability to make guys miss and create space (YAC). 

Like people get too caught up in just the 40. This kid gets to speed FAST, he's got incredible body control, and can win you 40 yards on any given play against multiple coverage. 

In football, the reason you want explosive, is you effect the coverage and forces scheme to put extra resources so you can't take your top off. Keon Coleman, with ihs size, elite hands, body control, acceleration, foot quickness is going to create deep seperation, and thus eventually DCs WILL eventually shade coverage deep on him

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You are old enough to remember the NYG offense under parcels. Have big players, Bleed the clock, play good D.

I am betting that is where we are headed.

I would too if I had Jeff hostetler as my qb.  Also that nfl version is over.  The league favors offense.  The rules reflect it. And in the modern era teams pass a lot. To have a top three qb and have this philosophy is just plain ridiculous. Josh allen the one man offense is saving a lot of jobs at one bills drive. 

• Agree 3

Just now, Logic said:

Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes gave way to Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, et al.

Even Gabe Davis's effectiveness gradually waned the longer he was here. His limited route tree, stiffness, and inability to get consistent separation led to Josh rarely throwing it to him over the back half of last season.

Kelvin "I don't want to warm up with you rookie QB" Benjamin? Andre Holmes....really? Robert Foster UFDFA, John Brown 5'10, Lil Dirty have you seen the mannequin, Sanders 5'11 and like 33/34 years old.

How were any these guys high talent big bodied WRs? Hell the closest one was Robert Foster because he was 6'2 but he was an UDFA that's never caught on anywhere, though the highlight of his entire career was catching passes from Josh ***** Allen.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up Bills legend Duke Williams he'd at least be the right type of WR if still a guy brought in from the CFL.

1 minute ago, <bills4life> said:

I would too if I had Jeff hostetler as my qb.  Also that nfl version is over.  The league favors offense.  The rules reflect it. And in the modern era teams pass a lot. To have a top three qb and have this philosophy is just plain ridiculous. Josh allen the one man offense is saving a lot of jobs at one bills drive. 

I agree,but we have McDermott  as HC.

39 minutes ago, appoo said:

The Bills got 2 instant starters, 2 heavy rotation guys, and potentially 2 depth + ST starters in this draft, and people are whining

there is never going to be an NFL draft that checks all the boxes for every fan.  We all want to Win a super bowl. The variables needed to get there are the Rub.

I've been reading Logic for years and the fact he is very MEH about this draft does concern me.  Pine Barrens Mafia one of the most negative voices.  I would love to see some crow eating after the coming season which would mean they were wrong. There is zero shame in that.  That crow will taste DELICIOUS  mateys 🙂

• Like (+1) 2