Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

I wanted a Maurice Jones Drew type, said it on this board, and while Davis may not quite be that he is similar--

low center of gravity, just a bit taller than the 5' 7" MJD.

Runs like a little bowling ball, like MJD.

And catches the ball well too, like MJD.

Seems to be the perfect counter to Cook, the slight, smooth, glider who can break one at any time, with Davis the tough, physical, hard hitting, bowling ball. Davis, if used well, and I have confidence Brady will not do what his extremely incompetent predecessor did--and use his players, even his young ones, like they should be used.

A very good physical WR,  good physical safety, likely future starter at DT, and now a quality physical running back.

The Biils are becoming the kind of young physical team that relates better to their fearless leader, Josh Allen. Hallelujah.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Nelius said:

It's also interesting to note that of the fastest 40 times clocked, that none of them ever did anything other than Chris Johnson. Most were simply track stars that have had worse careers than Marquise Goodwin.

Including Marquez Stevenson, whom we drafted a few years ago. He ended up a bust. Speed isn't everything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, muppy said:

why are you not thrilled? wish they'd picked another player position?  I think personally if the WR draft class is as deep as purported it WILL be addressed at some point before the day is over.

diamonds in the rough FTW

Will I was hoping for Van Pran or Hicks that's all, and a thumper in the 5th.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

As I said in the discussion thread Ray Davis was my favorite RB in this draft. He is a complete 3 down back who can block in pass pro and has great hands out of the backfield with a strong compact body to run between the tackles. Yes he's older but that doesn't matter with RB's as most of them only get 1 contract anyways.

Exactly. Whay happens if Cook goes down for a few games?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I know criticism of picks is frowned upon, but, he looks slow? Am I seeing things incorrectly, or does he not have top end speed and is he slow to the hole? Hes got a nice first cut and evades tackles with his balance, but he just looks slow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean Beane loves his mid round RBs. 

Seems like a decent enough player but really is there any difference between what you can get in round 4 and round 6 or 7 these days? They are a dime a dozen.

Don't hate the player but hate the position and the Bills insistence on using mid round picks on RBs.

Go look at the success rate of players drafted in the 4th round versus the later rounds. There is a huge difference.

So, I think this is a bad take.

This is from the drafts since 2018, and they didn't even bother doing the 6th and 7th rounds, but there is a drop off in each round, except 4th which happens to be better than the 3rd (just a small sample size bias):

1st Round: 34/60, hit rate of 56%

2nd Round: 20/60, hit rate of 33.3%

3rd Round: 12/60, hit rate of 20%

4th Round: 17/60, hit rate of 28.3%

5th Round: 9/60, hit rate of 15%

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They don’t have one. It’s really that simple. Not sure what Beane is thinking here . 

You don't need to wonder, he already told us. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I know criticism of picks is frowned upon, but, he looks slow? Am I seeing things incorrectly, or does he not have top end speed and is he slow to the hole? Hes got a nice first cut and evades tackles with his balance, but he just looks slow. 

He runs a 4.52 which is fine for a running back.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

We just drafted a 24 yr old running back who will be 25 in November. Nice

Why does that matter? Bills don’t re-sign RBs. Cook may be the exception if he can stop dropping TDs. But he was a 2nd rd pick and almost a hybrid WR atp

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

They love wasting mid-round picks on RBs. Don't know anything about the guy, but it's just poor asset management as usual from these guys.

perfect post to show the significant ignorance of a tiny percentage of Bills' 'fans-and, see above, admitted ignorance!  But not knowing "anything" rips the pick apart...

• Like (+1) 1