[Vague Title]

8 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

Which only opens things up even more for Kelce and co.

Kelce was pretty bad by his standards last year in the regular season. he balled out in the post season. But there is a legit chance he regresses even more this regular season which would be really bad news for KC. His days could really be numbered. 

Just now, Einstein said:

Doing what is best for your team includes the chess-style component of playing defense against your competition. Doing what is best for your team includes doing what is within your ability to block your greatest competition from improving their team.

Remember when Bill Belichick poison-pilled Wes Welker and screwed Miami? Remember when the Chargers selected Eli Manning just so they could block another team from getting him and therefore forcing a windfall of capital? There are many examples really.

There is an element of game theory in the NFL that great teams use to their advantage. 

nope. Id rather have my GM have balls of steel. Without them balls, who knows if josh Allen is our qb.

Football is great. I still get sadder than I should when we lose and my immediate reactions to things that are ultimately unimportant in my life, like which 20 year old was picked to join the team that entertains me for a few hours on Sundays is something that can be frustrating.  I'd like it if our team was better. I don't enjoy losing in the playoffs year after year, but the same goes for millions of people around the country every year so that's not unique.

The team employs scouts, assistant GMs, security staff who research backgrounds, psychologists who are supposed to be able to tell if prospects have the mental makeup to be successful, coaches and a GM who spend exponentially more time thinking about the draft than anyone here no matter how much of a hobby it may be for some. I like to sign on here and talk about the Bills because it's fun.

I would encourage those of us who somehow manage to spin out and have a breakdown here because the guy you got used to picking in mock draft simulators after watching a few highlight plays and a couple youtube videos from youtube creators to get a little perspective and remember that this is a crap shoot and for the most part most of the people picked in this draft will have unremarkable and relatively short careers. Whether a player is good or not in the league depends on myriad reasons: the coaching they receive, the system in place where they are drafted, the players around them and also their mental makeup and skill. A player may be successful on one team only to be quite poor in another system. It's not worth losing your mind on a message board and ripping other posters, hijacking threads making the draft less enjoyable for others and then going on tirades insulting the coach and GM for making the wrong informed-decision that clashes with your uninformed wishes. I appreciate this community, thanks for making this board a fun place to be, let's all try to be a little nicer to each other. End of rant.   

6 minutes ago, zevo said:

fans here are totally writing off Samuel and Shakir. Have no idea why. Shakir is a breakout candidate. and we already know Samuel ability.

I don’t know if it is writing them off as much as not thinking that they are adequate at the top of the depth chart. If Shakir was the slot guy and Samuel as the McKenzie role, with Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams (for example) I would love the WR room.

When I look at the top of depth charts though, the Bills WR room is near the bottom of the league. Obviously the Bears are an extreme example but they have DJ Moore, Keenan Allen and Rome Odunze as their top 3. The Bills have Keon Coleman, Khalil Shakir and Curtis Samuel as theirs. Shakir and Samuel are fine football players but they aren’t Chase/Higgins or Hill/Waddle etc…

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have no idea if this guy is going to be a good WR. I have seen very little of him. I just feel like we didn’t do anywhere near enough at WR. I don’t want to even attempt to fix this today. These rounds are not where you find suitable replacements. Can you get lucky? Yes. Nothing in this league is a give. And I’m not interested in just writing years off. We lost the best/2nd best WR in teen history and Davis and replaced them with basically nothing. It’s not enough. I fully  expect led us to move way up and get one of the true studs here or trade for an Ayuk/Samuel. This isn’t good enough enough now and I fear it’s too late to make a move that will change that.

Besides the big 3 WRs, you're getting lucky no matter where or when you pick your WR.

Even the 3, 1 , maybe 2 is destined to fail and a later pick succeed over them. 

All we k ow is Beane has put together a helluva roster year in and out since his arrival

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Puka Nacua is an even better comparison. He was picked at 177 overall twelve months ago.  He had 105 catches for 1486 yards as a rookie. Obviously that’s an outlier but the Bills still have a desperate need for boundary receiver(s). It isn’t crazy to think that there is a guy, not yet drafted, that could have 50 catches and 750 yards this year. 

Yes another great example.  I wouldn’t say we are desperate though, Coleman is 100% a boundary WR.  I’m not 100% even sure we do take another WR, but I think we probably will.

I think Tez Walker is a guy to watch as we met with him a lot.  I can see us moving up to get him potentially as a deep ball guy.  Or who knows, maybe the Franklin meltdown crowd will get their guy.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that anyone thinks that they know more than Beane & co. For one, they have access to much more information (specifically medicals). At the same time, there are people here that know substantially more than (insert random non-draft analyst). @GunnerBill has evaluated and charted like 150 players in this draft. He’s forgotten more about this class than Booger McFarland / Dan Orlovsky / Ryan Clark etc… will ever know. Gunner’s analysis is more in line with guys like McShay/Kiper/Brooks/Jeremiah/Miller/Reid. 

I agree, people watching a couple of highlight tapes or listening to non-experts is annoying.

It's 140. But thanks :D

I would definitely say I know more about this draft than Booger haha. Clearly I don't know as much as Brandon Beane. But I feel I know enough to have an opinion. Of couse I will get some wrong. I have plenty over the years. But I am also the guy who had a 2nd round pick on Dak Prescott when he was seen as a mid round backup and a second round grade on Bryce Huff when he was an UDFA, 4 years before he landed $17m in free agency and had Juwan Johnson as a draftable day 3 guy before he was an UDFA who then scored 15 touchdowns in 3 years for the Saints. Etc, etc, etc...

I don't know more than Brandon Beane. But I am pretty satisfied my track record stands up to scrutiny overall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

For all the whining and bellyaching about Coleman being our first pick (I was disappointed myself) it’s time to man up and admit that none of us are draft experts…some draft analysts had Franklin going late 1st, and many of us would’ve been happy taking him at 33.  For those in here who had Franklin going 4th round, where have we erred, and why were we so wrong?  

Coleman's not ever likely to become a "#1" which is what everyone was crying about.  If they weren't happy then, they're even less likely to be happy as a result of this pick.  Perhaps his biggest knock is that he can't run routes well, which was everyone's biggest complaint about Davis.  Everyone also says that he has separation issues, aka can't get away from defenders.  Isn't that the polar opposite of what the majority of people here said we need.  Short answer, yes, yes it is.  Apparently the "experts" have contradicted themselves and so have those supporting this pick.  

That's all, nothin to argue about.  

How many commenting have actually gone and looked for detailed analyses of him. 

Otherwise, here an excellent piece about him; 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-florida-state-keon-coleman-polarizing-wide-receiver-prospect

Who knows what he'll do here, but he's not what everyone's claims we needed.  Franklin at least had a shot of being that player.  

I remember years ago, when we drafted Hardy early in round 2 and Stevie Johnson in round 7.   I boldly went public that Johnson would be the better WR and that Hardy woukld bust either way.  Man, you'd have thought that I had renounced all things Buffalo and WNY based on the responses.  

I don't see Coleman busting, but he's not going to make the kind of impact that we need. 

And since when do we have any creative mind on our staff?  We have none.  If that isn't obvious by now.  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes another great example.  I wouldn’t say we are desperate though, Coleman is 100% a boundary WR.  I’m not 100% even sure we do take another WR, but I think we probably will.

I think Tez Walker is a guy to watch as we met with him a lot.  I can see us moving up to get him potentially as a deep ball guy.  Or who knows, maybe the Franklin meltdown crowd will get their guy.

Watch Matt Harmon’s video on Coleman. Guys with his separation that have succeeded have been big slots (Kupp, St. Brown, Boyd). Now maybe he beats math but if we believe that he is 100% boundary he would be an absolute outlier. The need is still desperate imo.

Tez and Franklin are options. I like Baker and Washington a lot. Cowing (another slot) is a guy that I’m high on. There are good receivers left.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait you’re saying higher drafted players have higher success rates?  Lol, you really needed to type 3 paragraphs to break that news?

You seemed to be contradicting that by listing hall of famers taken in later rounds, but apologies if I misunderstood.

We can select WR’s now, but the likelihood of them being a contributor has rapidly diminished and that appears to be what the poster you were refuting was alluding to.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

There is nothing ballsy about being stupid. 

Where was your genius when we drafted Bernard?  How about Milano?  Were you on here challenging those picks too?  

The narcissistic point of view that you think you know more and have even 1% the info and knowledge on these players as Beane and his staff do is hilarious.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Well...there is no guarantee they are right either.

Plenty of round 4 WRs end up as really good players that would have been taken in the first round of there was a "do over" 4 years later.

I guess we would have to revisit it in 4 years to know, just like we would any pick really.

Amon Ra St. Brown - 4th rounder

I'm going to be honest and this is NOT a knock on anyone in particular here. The big reason I wasn't thrilled about Coleman was because a ton of people here were so down on him. Hoping that we don't get him and so on. After watching what I can and listening to podcasts, I think I'm cool with him. Go Bills!!

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The combine results were indicative of a lack of preparation which demonstrates a poor work ethic. 

Wasn't he recoevering from the flu?  

Also, when does the combine outweigh what is seen on film?  Sometimes these bean counters out-think themselves.  

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

This place is insufferable during the draft with clowns like you and these hot takes 

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

I remember Bean said that beating press was a strength for Coleman and that was one of the reasons they drafted him.

We will have to wait and see.  But anyone watching the loss to KC this past offseason, none of our top two starting WR's were getting open at all.  We did not complete a single pass over 15 yards the entire game.  That fact alone is why I wanted true pure speed threat like "Worthy" or "Mitchell".  If the teams do not respect your WR speed and the threat to go over the top, their DB's will crush you with under man coverage like cover 3, this is what happened to us in that game.  

KC's db's eliminated every deep threat option.  It was not a good look for Buffalo in that game, for the first time all season It was obvious that our WR's were completely outclassed by a opposing teams DB's.

image.png.8a8530ac1c62ff61920562a7d7f456bf.png

image.png.6f34c790ffcacc2c536da3483c396799.png