Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Omg

versatility in the best thing you can have in your WR corps, if you don't have a JJ or Ja'Marr Chase, and the Bills are now extremely versatile and can offer options at every part of the field. 

This offense will be flat the best in the Allen era

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

We were 10000% short of leaders.  We lost a ton of them.

Yeah, I'm seeing that as a theme.  This guy: 3 year team captain, scholar-athlete award in the ACC.  Safety Bishop, they said he's a leader, you hear him getting the DBs into position.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

When you're saying Shorter has to be an option on offense - that's the issue. And I think you're over-egging the pudding about the targets. Kincaid and Shakir are very good but still learning, as is Cook. Coleman is unproven. Samuel is decent. None of them are elite, at least yet. The Bills have gone backwards, and will be expecting even more from Josh to be successful as it stands.

Shorter is going to be the 5th or 6th WR in the room. 

I never said elite. They're all pretty good. Take a look at how the Packers built their WR room. Versatility.  

we don't ened elite WRs when  you have 17, you need a plethora of good ones

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. Anyone thinking that the 95th pick in the draft is supposed to be a year 1 starter is taking crazy pills. The 1st and 2nd round are for starters, the 3rd round and beyond are for depth and developmental players. At least that's how it works for good teams, which the Bills are. The only way the 95th pick in a shallow draft is starting for you is if you're a bad team, which the Bills aren't.

2. DT3T was a need. Leadership was a need. Dewayne Carter appears to tick both boxes.

3. I would've preferred an offensive player. I liked Troy Franklin. Obviously, I know nothing. Or at least I should say that NFL teams clearly knowing something that I don't. There's obviously a reason that a guy many of us would have been okay with in the 2nd round is still on the board at the start of the 4th. So yeah, in a vacuum, it's irritating when your team doesn't take a guy you like that seems like a screaming value when he's still on the board late in the 3rd round, but...WR is a fairly premium position, so there must be a REASON that Franklin is still on the board.

4. Clearly WR is a deep position this year, and I'm hoping that the Bills take one in the 4th round. Either that or that they trade for a veteran. Coleman-Samuel-Shakir-Hollins is not a very inspiring depth chart in my opinion. One more legit dude needed.

Overall for day two: I didn't like the Coleman pick (I understand it, but I don't love the player), I quite liked the Bishop pick, and the Carter pick makes sense to me as a logical selection at a needed position. More help is needed on offense, and I hope they find some either with their remaining picks or via free agency. Not my favorite draft class ever, but I'm not out on a ledge or anything.

While I think more of our existing weapons plus Coleman than you do and don't agree on your more negative view of it, this is a good post, fair take, and honest opinion that is well written.  

So much better than whiney tantrums around here flooding the board.  So respect to your post sir

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, joey greco said:

nobody ever said he's a hall of famer, that's just a bull#### strawman and you know it.  this team is bereft of threatening outside recievers, and our best player happens to be our big armed qb, so maybe that would be a position of need. neh?   maybe it's not this one particular pick, but the overall draft that has people upset, neh?  maybe it's drafting players projected to be backups while having a glaring need for a starter at another spot is a problem?  maybe not spending more lottery tickets to enable your franchise player rather than enabling depth on the other side of the ball strikes reasonable people the wrong way?  No, no, the all-knowing alphadawg, millionaire superbowl winning gm posing as a prole on a message board knows better and has the right to talk down to everyone else.  beane has never been wrong and you're all stupid for stating the obvious.

Where is another rookie WR going to play. Who are they benching. Allen supposedly asked for Keon Coleman who is going to be a starter here. I think we can all assume Shakir is going to have a much bigger role, Kincaid is going to be the primary weapon in year 2, they signed Curtis Samuel to a 8 million a year so he's playing. Cook has to get his share of receptions and you know that Knox will factor into the passing game at times.

I think they will draft another guy who can play outside on Day 3 for sure in case of injury and has ST's capability as well but that guy isn't going to be getting a ton of run unless its injury related.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Where is another rookie WR going to play. Who are they benching. Allen supposedly asked for Keon Coleman who is going to be a starter here. I think we can all assume Shakir is going to have a much bigger role, Kincaid is going to be the primary weapon in year 2, they signed Curtis Samuel to a 8 million a year so he's playing. Cook has to get his share of receptions and you know that Knox will factor into the passing game at times.

I think they will draft another guy who can play outside on Day 3 for sure in case of injury and has ST's capability as well but that guy isn't going to be getting a ton of run unless its injury related.

Shhhhhh...there is no room for making sense in the world of tantrums

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You do realize that we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL over the past 4 seasons, our QB is a perennial MVP candidate and averages 5100 yards and 44 TD's over that span right?  

People act like Allen has had no help at all.  Beane traded up for Kincaid last year, we have a young WR in Shakir who just led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target who plays like a mini Deebo, we have a duel threat RB, and signed a quality veteran in Samuel.  Now we just added top prospect in the draft at WR too.  Plus we still have Knox and him combined with Kincaid gives us one of the best TE rooms in the NFL.  

This notion Allen has no weapons is just a gross exaggeration.  

Im telling you now...Allen very well could have his best season of his career this season.  Shakir and Coleman bring some much needed toughness to the offense.  Where was Diggs when the season got late and games got more physical?  Allens INT rate was double throwing to Diggs and Davis than it was throwing to everyone else. 

Allen is going to spread the ball around and now has a guy who can go up and get balls too, which we sorely needed.  We went from drop city to a team made up of guys with great hands and intelligence.  

How many TDs did Allen run last year versus throw? That alone shows he didn't have the help he needed last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Herc11 said:

How many TDs did Allen run last year versus throw? That alone shows he didn't have the help he needed last year.

No, that alone says he is a dual threat weapon that has always been part of his game.  

6 minutes ago, joey greco said:

nobody ever said he's a hall of famer, that's just a bull#### strawman and you know it.  this team is bereft of threatening outside recievers, and our best player happens to be our big armed qb, so maybe that would be a position of need. neh?   maybe it's not this one particular pick, but the overall draft that has people upset, neh?  maybe it's drafting players projected to be backups while having a glaring need for a starter at another spot is a problem?  maybe not spending more lottery tickets to enable your franchise player rather than enabling depth on the other side of the ball strikes reasonable people the wrong way?  No, no, the all-knowing alphadawg, millionaire superbowl winning gm posing as a prole on a message board knows better and has the right to talk down to everyone else.  beane has never been wrong and you're all stupid for stating the obvious.

Whats the glaring need for a starter that we passed up?  Franklin?  He wasn't starting lmao.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

versatility in the best thing you can have in your WR corps, if you don't have a JJ or Ja'Marr Chase, and the Bills are now extremely versatile and can offer options at every part of the field. 

This offense will be flat the best in the Allen era

Let's not forget Kincaid....if he develops from year one to year two the way I would expect from him, he could be the centerpiece of the Offense sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

When you're saying Shorter has to be an option on offense - that's the issue. And I think you're over-egging the pudding about the targets. Kincaid and Shakir are very good but still learning, as is Cook. Coleman is unproven. Samuel is decent. None of them are elite, at least yet. The Bills have gone backwards, and will be expecting even more from Josh to be successful as it stands.

Shakir being very good is a stretch...he had a couple of nice games last year. 

He looks like a guy that can be very good but he has a lot to prove 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

No, that alone says he is a dual threat weapon that has always been part of his game.  

I don't disagree. But come on, doing it yourself that many times shows you don't have the red zone targets you need.

Just now, Special K said:

Let's not forget Kincaid....if he develops from year one to year two the way I would expect from him, he could be the centerpiece of the Offense sooner rather than later.

Don't think he's that kind of athlete at TE but I certainly hope so!

50 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I like him. Wanted Franklin much more.

Annoying. 

That was my take but he’s still around and we have a bunch of draft capital still. 

Just now, Herc11 said:

I don't disagree. But come on, doing it yourself that many times shows you don't have the red zone targets you need.

So why are you upset we just drafted one of the best red zone targets in the draft?  No disrespect, but I don't get what you are unhappy with then.  

17 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You could say in rd 3 getting a quality starter at any position are not good. 

Well.....it depends upon what you mean by that

Overall the odds are something like 20-30% (higher at the top of the round, lower at the bottom

But they're not that much higher in the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd

Beane's 3rd round picks:

Harrison Phillips - struggled with us possibly due to injuries, 34 starts in 2 seasons for Vikes

Devin Singletary - 4 year starter for us, 898 yds on 10 starts for Houston last season.  Solid.

Zach Moss - didn't start for us but 11 starts and 22 games for the Ponies, 794 yds last year

Spencer Brown - 41 starts including all 17 last season, Solid

Terrel Bernard - looked like a terror last season after rough rookie outings

Dorian Williams - to be determined, see Bernard, Terrel

I would say Beane's record in the 3rd round is pretty durn good - every one of the guys we have more than a year of data on can play ball.    Not stars of stars, but can play.  3 of the 6 we have adequate data on have been starters for us, 2 more hit their stride for other teams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I'm seeing that as a theme.  This guy: 3 year team captain, scholar-athlete award in the ACC.  Safety Bishop, they said he's a leader, you hear him getting the DBs into position.  

If we’re expecting some 3rd rd rookie to come in and be a team leader and captain in his rookie year; we have more problems than I thought.