Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

13 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I’m in this camp too. We tried the “true #1” thing. It didn’t work. Allen was forcing it to Diggs until Brady came in and spread it around/focused on the run. It can’t be understated how important it will be for Josh not to have that pressure on him. 

The old pats* teams killed you with a variety of interchangeable pass catchers, not necessarily WRs. I’m excited to see how the new offense is going to look. What we were doing wasn’t going to get it done. 

True but that’ doesnt mean we need to ignore better talent to go along with this offensive philosophy 

I wonder if any receiver would be good enough for the majority of you here... it seems like we have a good story with him popping up everywhere and already he's not nearly good enough and he hasn't even played a single down yet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wonder if any receiver would be good enough for the majority of you here... it seems like we have a good story with him popping up everywhere and already he's not nearly good enough and he hasn't even played a single down yet. 

I would have been much more OK with Coleman if we had drafted another WR even in Round 4

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would have been much more OK with Coleman if we had drafted another WR even in Round 4

I am seeing this sentiment a lot. I guess my question is why? Like why would trading up in the 4th for a guy like Baker or Walker or Franklin have made that much of a difference in your mind? I think it made sense to stack receivers, but it has no impact on how I feel about Coleman. Not trying to be a jerk, just like genuinely curious. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I am seeing this sentiment a lot. I guess my question is why? Like why would trading up in the 4th for a guy like Baker or Walker or Franklin have made that much of a difference in your mind? I think it made sense to stack receivers, but it has no impact on how I feel about Coleman. Not trying to be a jerk, just like genuinely curious. 

It would demonstrate to me that Beane is more serious about WR, which has become a premium position.   It would also increase the odds that we get a player at the position who hits 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It would demonstrate to me that Beane is more serious about WR, which has become a premium position.   It would also increase the odds that we get a player at the position who hits 

So kind of mitigating some of the risk with the Coleman pick by having a backup plan that could hit. It's a fair point and makes sense. 

Speculating here, but my guess is that they like the young guys they have at the bottom of the roster more than what was available at that point in the draft. I don't know what Shorter is, but when I look at Baker I see a smaller Shorter. Maybe they feel a KJ Hamler does a lot of the things Franklin does, albeit he is smaller and has a bad injury history. I would have loved Tez Walker somewhere. But if you are going to trade assets to move up for a guy, he better make the roster IMO. But to your point, that should not stop them from adding to the competition.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So kind of mitigating some of the risk with the Coleman pick by having a backup plan that could hit. It's a fair point and makes sense. 

Speculating here, but my guess is that they like the young guys they have at the bottom of the roster more than what was available at that point in the draft. I don't know what Shorter is, but when I look at Baker I see a smaller Shorter. Maybe they feel a KJ Hamler does a lot of the things Franklin does, albeit he is smaller and has a bad injury history. I would have loved Tez Walker somewhere. But if you are going to trade assets to move up for a guy, he better make the roster IMO. But to your point, that should not stop them from adding to the competition.

I'm holding out a small glimmer of hope that Beane knows/sees things regarding Shorter and Hamler.   Hamler apparently has trained his body real hard this off-season and spent time with Josh.  He has 4.3 speed.   It was intriguing that Keon specifically mentioned Hamler.  Maybe he met him while on his visit here. Beane has also mentioned Shavers a few times, who was a fantastic STer in college.  Maybe they see something in him? 

Unless something changes, there is a clear top 3 WR.  Then a battle for 4-6  and likely 7 for ST's 

Coleman 
Samuel

Shakir

Hollis

Hamler
Shorter

Shavers / Quintez / Isabella / Xavier Johnson / other UDFA's 

I will also note....if this staff fails to get Coleman ready and start him, that is unacceptable.

Force feed him the ball and speed up the learning process on the field. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm holding out a small glimmer of hope that Beane knows/sees things regarding Shorter and Hamler.   Hamler apparently has trained his body real hard this off-season and spent time with Josh.  He has 4.3 speed.   It was intriguing that Keon specifically mentioned Hamler.  Maybe he met him while on his visit here. Beane has also mentioned Shavers a few times, who was a fantastic STer in college.  Maybe they see something in him? 

Unless something changes, there is a clear top 3 WR.  Then a battle for 4-6  and likely 7 for ST's 

Coleman 
Samuel

Shakir

Hollis

Hamler
Shorter

I will also note....if this staff fails to get Coleman ready and start him, that is unacceptable.

I think it's a lot tougher of a call to make, if he sees potential in the depth WRs we still have it's awfully hard to make a pick for WR you're worried won't even make the roster and get picked up somewhere else. Especially when you have other needs that need addressed and are in position to pick players that could have an immediate impact at those areas.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

Hamler's youtube highlights from his time in Denver were intriguing. He can really get behind the defense consistently. Just needs to keep healthy.

Talent evaluators I trust have always liked Hamler and expected a breakout. Though the odds clearly have diminished and expectations should be kept in check, would be great if it finally happened here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think it's a lot tougher of a call to make, if he sees potential in the depth WRs we still have it's awfully hard to make a pick for WR you're worried won't even make the roster and get picked up somewhere else. Especially when you have other needs that need addressed and are in position to pick players that could have an immediate impact at those areas.

That’s a great point 

3 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

All I can see is 4.61 40 time and the Devin Singletary of wide receivers. No breakaways. No outrunning anybody. Running to contact to avoid being exposed.

There are many ways besides pure speed to get separation in the NFL 

37 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Coleman 
Samuel

Shakir

Hollis

Hamler
Shorter

KJ Hamler smoke is real. Multiple shout-outs this summer, excited to see him in the preseason. Could he lock down slot depth and KR?

On 4/26/2024 at 7:50 PM, Bockeye said:

Yeah 4.61 is slow as hell and no way he’s gonna succeed. You’re all the same peeps that immediately started crying and labeled Josh a bust. 

Larry Fitzgerald- 4.63

Anquan Boldin- 4.71

Chad Johnson - 4.57

Deandre Hopkins - 4.57

Cooper Kupp - 4.62

and there’s a bunch more…

Just a reminder...

• Like (+1) 2