Calling it now: You're all about to witness the arrival of Shakir

Here you go @Alphadawg7. Today's Locked on Bills episode was entirely about Shakir.

He notes that out of every WR who ever measured 29" or shorter arms, the only ones to have meaningful careers were Hunter Renfrow, Isaiah McKenzie, and Braxton Berrios. Shakir would be the first to ever make it as even a 50% outside WR with that arm length.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here you go @Alphadawg7. Today's Locked on Bills episode was entirely about Shakir.

He notes that out of every WR who ever measured 29" or shorter arms, the only ones to have meaningful careers were Hunter Renfrow, Isaiah McKenzie, and Braxton Berrios. Shakir would be the first to ever make it as even a 50% outside WR with that arm length.

So McKenzie was a gadget/man slot WR - could not play outside.  5'8 180.  Berrios 5'8 185 - I think pretty much a slot?

But didn't Hunter Renfrow play outside a fair bit?  I don't watch the Raiders much so honestly asking - but he averaged >10 Y/R his first 3 years and had a >1000 yd season his 3rd year, which is a little unusual for a guy who is strictly a slot.  A lot of his yards in his good years were YAC (same is true for Shakir tho)  He's a little bit larger, 5'10", which was John Brown's height (if we're speaking of guys who made a career despite not being a physical prototype for their role).

Shakir is taller than either, almost 6', with a higher recorded vertical (38").  So he's a bit of a different beast as a WR than McKenzie or Berrios.  I'm not saying it totally makes up for the lack of arm length, but the point is he's not the same physical prototype of player as those other two.  

I agree with your point that we now need not 1, but 2, WR with the potential to play outside more than half the time.   It would be very un-Beane-like to go into the draft with such a large and obvious double hole.

So Renfrow is actually a guy who interests me out of the relatively slim pickin's on the FA market currently.  I'm not sure if Renfrow is that guy, but I don't think playing last year for a LV team in disarray, with 3 QB throwing to him and 2 OCs, did him any favors.

What do you think about DJ Chark?  He managed to put up numbers in Jax with Gardner Minshew and Nick Foles throwing to him.  

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Thanks for sharing.  One key difference is Shakir is built quite a bit different than those other ones. I think he can be the outlier, I really do in terms of overall career.

I don’t think he should be a primary boundary WR though or even there 50%.  I said he can move around but will still eat primarily from the slot.  I just think he can do more from the slot than a typical “slot” only guy and be a dangerous weapon there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Now thats a fun group.  I'd totally go to Dave & Busters with those guys.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

But didn't Hunter Renfrow play outside a fair bit?  I don't watch the Raiders much so honestly asking - but he averaged >10 Y/R his first 3 years and had a >1000 yd season his 3rd year, which is a little unusual for a guy who is strictly a slot.  A lot of his yards in his good years were YAC (same is true for Shakir tho)  He's a little bit larger, 5'10", which was John Brown's height (if we're speaking of guys who made a career despite not being a physical prototype for their role).

Renfrow played about 30% outside his first two years. But his productivity almost all came from the slot. I can't put my hand on the numbers right now but I am sure as a rookie there was a stat that was basically if Renfrow is lined up wide the Raiders are running the ball. It was like a tell.

I received flak recently for stating Khalil surpassed Davis last season as our #2 WR. Well, Davis is long gone and I stand by my proclamation. He’s not just good, he’s exceptional. 
Joe Marino says so as well.

• Agree 4

53 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I received flak recently for stating Khalil surpassed Davis last season as our #2 WR. Well, Davis is long gone and I stand by my proclamation. He’s not just good, he’s exceptional. 

He's a flat out stud. His ceiling is much higher than people think!

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The short arms are concerning, but his 'catch radius' is 48th percentile amongst WRs who tested (versus Hunter Renfrow's 25th percentile, for example). 

I'm not saying this is the be all, end all but I thought it worth mentioning. He maybe an outlier due to his athleticism: 

Catch Radius – first discussed by Scott Smith in a piece titled “The Catch Radius Project: In Search of Better TD Production”, the metric incorporates a player’s ability to cover ground as well as his ability to get vertical in order to score a player’s capacity to reaching the football in a 3-dimensional space. Catch Radius affects a player’s ability to succeed in the red zone, particularly on fade routes and 50-50 balls. The equation squares a player’s 40-time, 20-yard shuttle, and 3-cone and multiplies it by the square of a player’s height, arm length, and vertical jump. The values of all six data inputs are normalized to have equal weight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The improvement in his 2nd year really impressed me - outstanding.  He trains with Eric Moulds in the off-season and maybe the Bills ought to encourage some other guys to go there.  

Here's a clip of him training and an OBD interview with Moulds.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The improvement in his 2nd year really impressed me - outstanding.  He trains with Eric Moulds in the off-season and maybe the Bills ought to encourage some other guys to go there.  

gawd if Allen had Moulds on his team... oooh weee.

I'd love Lee Evans and Eric Moulds on his roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He has also wowed guys like Jordan Palmer and Kyle Allen when they have seen him train or trained with him.  

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Slots get YAC opportunities. And water is wet.

I think you missed the point...at least the point I took away from it...and that is maybe what the new look offense will are going to bigger opportunities with YAC between guys like Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid being more heavily involved than force feeding Diggs and the plodding of Davis.

And YAC was one of the things specifically mentioned today in the pressers about traits they are looking for.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you missed the point...at least the point I took away from it...and that is maybe what the new look offense will are going to bigger opportunities with YAC between guys like Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid being more heavily involved than force feeding Diggs and the plodding of Davis.

And YAC was one of the things specifically mentioned today in the pressers about traits they are looking for.

They will have to be more heavily involved by definition because they are the only ones that you listed that are on the roster.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They will have to be more heavily involved by definition because they are the only ones that you listed that are on the roster.

Or there is the fact that Josh, McD, and Beane made those two a focal point of being heavily involved along with Kincaid this year.  Just like how Shakir and Kincaid were even when Diggs and Davis were here once Brady took over.  

So yeah, you’re wrong about it being by default

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or there is the fact that Josh, McD, and Beane made those two a focal point of being heavily involved along with Kincaid this year.  Just like how Shakir and Kincaid were even when Diggs and Davis were here once Brady took over.  

So yeah, you’re wrong about it being by default

Who was out-targeted when Brady was named OC, Diggs or Shakir?

thanks for playing.

Just now, FireChans said:

Who was out-targeted when Brady was named OC, Diggs or Shakir?

thanks for playing.

Who led the team in receiving once Brady took over and had the only 100 yards games (twice)?  Diggs or Shakir?

Thanks for playing.