Calling it now: You're all about to witness the arrival of Shakir

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm curious about your thoughts on the Michigan State tape. His contested catch percentage was much better there than it was at FSU. I don't think Coleman regressed so that leads me to believe it was a difference in QB that caused the substantial dip in contested catch percentage. I thought Jordan Travis had very poor ball placement and timing on a lot of those opportunities.

In any case I don't like Coleman because of what he's done. I like him because of what I think he will be after NFL coaching and seasoning. All the tools are there, he just needs to learn how to use that size and body control to dominate CBs at the next level.

Spot on, I came away with the same conclusions after watching Mich ST vs FL ST snaps.

Travis extended plays, and Coleman seems to do very well being "qb friendly" on those play types.  But Jordan was inconsistent with ball placement, and his timing was a typical college QB at many times (little anticipation/underthrew Coleman on some deep passes).

His contested catches were quite solid when the QB put it where it was intended (ie: back shoulder, away from defenders leverage, etc).  He even bailed out Travis quite a few times.  Travis might be a quality backup someday, but I think Colemans game will transition to Josh's playing style and benefit of much better ball placement.  We also finally have a WR capable of drawing Def Pass Interfernce penalties downfield, alot weren't called in college but NFL is much different.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But, there is a very strong theme Beane has made very clear...he wants players with an edge, players who bring more swagger and toughness to the table.  He isn't trying to build a track team out there, he is giving Allen options at various phases of the field, guys who can make that extra play or two that we have failed to make in the post season that has kept us from advancing.  

They said Jefferson was a big slot too.  They said Mike Evans wasn't fast enough to be on the outside.  And I know that you felt DeAndre Hopkins was the best WR in football for a long time, yet Coleman's pro day 40 was faster than any 40 Hopkins ran. 

So for me, I think he is going to excel at the contested catch in the NFL and benefit from off script throws by Allen too getting him balls in areas only he can get to.  And I do think he has the commitment, intelligence, and athleticism to excel and succeed in the NFL at getting separation and plenty of YAC as well.  

I think the strong theme Beane/Brady are going for is catch percentage.  Players with better hands.  And I think K Coleman fits that mold.  The future looks bright.

But the present 2023 season needs improvement, IMO, in the WR room IMO.  Just one more good WR that lines up outside.

I love that you bring up DHop because he is on my wish  list.  We could send enticing draft capital and find enough cash to handle the $13M salary and play cap games to extend another year.  DHop could be a great mentor to K Coleman.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the strong theme Beane/Brady are going for is catch percentage.  Players with better hands.  And I think K Coleman fits that mold.  The future looks bright.

But the present 2023 season needs improvement, IMO, in the WR room IMO.  Just one more good WR that lines up outside.

I love that you bring up DHop because he is on my wish  list.  We could send enticing draft capital and find enough cash to handle the $13M salary and play cap games to extend another year.  DHop could be a great mentor to K Coleman.

I wasn’t interested in using the draft capital and cap space on DHop, but now that we drafted Coleman, I’m much more open to it as I agree he would be an excellent mentor.