Diggs traded to Texans for picks

4 hours ago, Mango said:

They were always voidable. All Houston did was move the very small amount of bonus money he had left on his contract to 2024.

Otherwise he was cutable almost any time with next to zero cap ramification.

The Houston restructure is a giant nothing burger.

Yes and no, it benefits Diggs not Houston from what I can tell by guaranteeing he can be a UFA.  I guess they could tag him.   Houston could have had the option to continue with Diggs or take a small dead cap, now its a one year deal.  To trade a potential high second next year on a rental seems a bit odd even with the 5 and  6 going back.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yes and no, it benefits Diggs not Houston from what I can tell by guaranteeing he can be a UFA.  I guess they could tag him.   Houston could have had the option to continue with Diggs or take a small dead cap, now its a one year deal.  To trade a potential high second next year on a rental seems a bit odd even with the 5 and  6 going back.

Diggs gets more money this year and gets to choose where he plays next year. Seems like a good deal for him and pretty straightforward. 

13 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Who is his agent holy moly.  Got Diggs and his impossible to trade contract traded to his preferred destination, got him more guaranteed $$ for 2024, and got him the opportunity to get himself a new deal in 2025.

That is superb representation right there.

Wow.

You got the reward right. The risk is a bad injury this year. Stef loses a lot of money that way.

48 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. And Diggs has some ***** numbers after week 6 last year 

The only number that matters is the score at the end. There are 53 guys that contribute to that. Since you asked here is the oh so important 2023 receiving stats. 
Diggs  107rec  1183yds  8td

Davis    45rec   746yds  7td

Kincaid  73rec   673yds  2td

Shakir    39rec   611yds   2td

Cook      44rec   445yds  4td

Pick and choose games all you want. The fact is the Bills are weaker on the fire power end of things without Diggs. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, eme123 said:

The only number that matters is the score at the end. There are 53 guys that contribute to that. Since you asked here is the oh so important 2023 receiving stats. 

Pick and choose games all you want. The fact is the Bills are weaker on the fire power end of things without Diggs. 

Now do that with weeks 1-6 removed

Go on. I know you can

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, eball said:

Boom goes the dynamite.

FWIW I was watching "Tim Graham and Friends" podcast last night, and he recounted talking to Devin McCourty (now an analyst with NBC) prior to the Miami game.

McCourty, of course, watched 3 years of film with the goal of stopping Diggs 2 (or more) times a season.

According to Graham, McCourty said "it looks like they're trying to prove they can win without him" (Diggs)

32 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Diggs gets more money this year and gets to choose where he plays next year. Seems like a good deal for him and pretty straightforward. 

I think it is clear Diggs was orchestrating all of this behind the scenes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

Diggs is just another big mouth T.O cry baby, that will play on 5 teams before it’s done.. and got completely shut down every year against sneed.. I say see you brother 🫡 

He’s worse because he lets his bro do his talking for him 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

I think it is clear Diggs was orchestrating all of this behind the scenes.

Obviously. This isn’t something that just popped up either. The contract was part of the whole deal. This isn’t unusual in the NFL today. Look at the Jeudy trade from Denver to Cleveland. So many people asked why the Browns extended him so soon after trading for him. Isn’t it obvious that it was part of the package deal to acquire him? This is how it works now when the player has leverage. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

FWIW I was watching "Tim Graham and Friends" podcast last night, and he recounted talking to Devin McCourty (now an analyst with NBC) prior to the Miami game.

McCourty, of course, watched 3 years of film with the goal of stopping Diggs 2 (or more) times a season.

According to Graham, McCourty said "it looks like they're trying to prove they can win without him" (Diggs)

Yes, I read that article also.  It is patently clear that the Bills were planning to move on from Diggs...Beane just had to wait for the right deal to come along.

6 hours ago, DrMaxPower said:

Not sure why you keep trotting out this 'Diggs' numbers were down because he was in the slot' narrative.

Slot is easier. They put him there because he couldn't get off a jam to save his life.

That's the point of contention.  It's also not what I observed.  It also doesn't fit the particulars of team offensive play under Brady.  It's a chicken/egg thing.

Well get more clarity on that this season.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

Diggs is just another big mouth T.O cry baby, that will play on 5 teams before it’s done.. and got completely shut down every year against sneed.. I say see you brother 🫡 

Except, T.O.  was one of the best WR's ever.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, eme123 said:

You have a point that the score at the end is the only thing that matters.

From that POV, at the point in the season where Dorsey got fired after the Week 10 loss to Denver, the Bills were 5-5

At the end of the season, they were 11-6.

That means the score at the end says they went 6-1 after Brady took over.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You have a point that the score at the end is the only thing that matters.

From that POV, at the point in the season where Dorsey got fired after the Week 10 loss to Denver, the Bills were 5-5

At the end of the season, they were 11-6.

That means the score at the end says they went 6-1 after Brady took over.

Yes, that's how narratives work. 

At the same time, it's not Brady's work that put up two defensive TDs in those games in weak scoring games to prevent that from being 4-3.  Playing the Chargers and their 24th ranked with another relatively weak offensive showing, with them playing without their best the players, Herbert, Allen, and Bosa, in yet another squeaker won in the last seconds, prevented that from sliding to 3-4.

That's additional information that someone analyzing the situation would consider valuable.  Most want the most simplistic views possible.  

There's plenty of data and info it there to be able to reasonably come to the conclusion that Brady's in over his head and under McD's thumb in that way.  

No need to argue it.  I'll play the fool for now.  Just saying that there's plenty of info at anyone's disposal to put together a more accurate assessment.  People at large prefer the emotional approach however.  Which is fine.  Again, nothing we say here changes anything.  Some simply see beyond the superficial.  

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Obviously. This isn’t something that just popped up either. The contract was part of the whole deal. This isn’t unusual in the NFL today. Look at the Jeudy trade from Denver to Cleveland. So many people asked why the Browns extended him so soon after trading for him. Isn’t it obvious that it was part of the package deal to acquire him? This is how it works now when the player has leverage. 

It's very much not uncommon for a traded player to re-work his contract just after a trade, sure.  Sometimes it's for the benefit of the trade partner, sometimes it's to reconcile the traded player to the trade, like the Bills did with McCoy. 

Diggs re-work was 100% in Diggs' interest, of course.  I'm just wondering exactly what leverage Diggs had, to accomplish that?

There's an enormous divide between some on-line pundits (Steven A Smith, McAfee, some of the Speak crew) who perceive Diggs as going to Denver to be a #1 WR

And tape gurus like Cosell who say "he's not a #1 WR at this point in his career".

The contract re-work says that Houston votes with the former.

So then we have tid-bits like Josh Norman saying "Diggs is taking himself out" - was it Diggs choice that he had lower snap counts towards the end of the season (of course pay no attention to stuff like "Sherfield had more", the only game that was true was vs. Dallas where the Bills only passed 15 times and the game plan was clearly to run over Dallas)

Or Devin McCourty saying "it looks like the Bills are trying to win without him" (meaning from his perception, the Bills game plan was 'taking Diggs out')

Is Cosell mis-perceiving a game plan that moved away from Diggs, for Diggs skills declining?  That seems possible, but unlikely to me.

56 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The only issue is his going to a new team, a new offense, a new QB, new guys to compete with for targets. Ideally he comes in and is the alpha dog he's been most of his career and has another top 5 season to allow him to find a bigger deal or sign wherever he wants next year. Yet what happens if the pasture isn't green on this side or he gets hurt? He's betting on himself which I'd say usually a good thing based on his history yet way his season ended last season and all new things coming up in 2024 he might end up making a mistake. As the saying goes, only time will tell. 

After a couple days to sit on this, maybe the trade makes more sense than our initial reaction.

Something that really burned me yesterday was a conversation between Kay Adams and Desean Jackson.  The former receiver suggested that Diggs wanted out of Buffalo, because he believed we "couldn't beat Kansas City."  That prompted me to look-up Diggs stats in each of the postseason games we've been eliminated in:

- 2020 (Chiefs):  6 rec, 77 yards, 0 touchdowns

- 2021 (Chiefs):  3 rec, 7 yards, 0 touchdowns

- 2022 (Bengals):  4 rec, 35 yards, 0 touchdowns

- 2023 (Chiefs):  3 rec, 21 yards, 0 touchdowns

This included a HUGE drop in the 4th Quarter against the Chiefs, which almost certainly would have been a 70 yard touchdown.

Bottom line.  I loved Diggs being here.  But the guy totally disappeared in our biggest games, and was a non-factor the second half of last season.  The pick we get is based on the Vikings record (not the Texans).  They have no quarterback right now, and will likely be among the league's worst teams this year.  It may be closer to a late 1st Rounder than we are considering.  

At least we need to give Beane the rest of the offseason to see what he does at the position.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

It's very much not uncommon for a traded player to re-work his contract just after a trade, sure.  Sometimes it's for the benefit of the trade partner, sometimes it's to reconcile the traded player to the trade, like the Bills did with McCoy. 

Diggs re-work was 100% in Diggs' interest, of course.  I'm just wondering exactly what leverage Diggs had, to accomplish that?

There's an enormous divide between some on-line pundits (Steven A Smith, McAfee, some of the Speak crew) who perceive Diggs as going to Denver to be a #1 WR

And tape gurus like Cosell who say "he's not a #1 WR at this point in his career".

The contract re-work says that Houston votes with the former.

So then we have tid-bits like Josh Norman saying "Diggs is taking himself out" - was it Diggs choice that he had lower snap counts towards the end of the season (of course pay no attention to stuff like "Sherfield had more", the only game that was true was vs. Dallas where the Bills only passed 15 times and the game plan was clearly to run over Dallas)

Or Devin McCourty saying "it looks like the Bills are trying to win without him" (meaning from his perception, the Bills game plan was 'taking Diggs out')

Is Cosell mis-perceiving a game plan that moved away from Diggs, for Diggs skills declining?  That seems possible, but unlikely to me.

Diggs’ leverage was choosing the Texans. That’s particularly important with a player who has forced his way out of two teams when he had several seasons left on each of his contracts. 

51 minutes ago, eme123 said:

The Bills are going to get blown out this Sunday.

• Haha (+1) 3