McDermott is feeling the pressure

3 minutes ago, Cash said:

Haven’t had a chance to read the whole thread. Has anyone pointed out that back-to-back defending champ Andy Reid was also just quoted as saying “it’s hard to win in the NFL”? Is it time to just get over Dick Jauron saying a true statement that no one wants to hear during a mediocre stretch of football, or should the Chiefs be looking to move on from Reid?

Well, when a HOF multiple SB winning HC says it, then it sounds believable, acceptable and meaningful.

When McClappy says it, he sounds like a whiny little *****, with zero answers and trying to show some self-justification to the media and why he should keep his job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

26 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Did the O play perfect against the Texans?.......no, but they still had the team up by 16 points at the half.

Watch the game again and you'll see the monumental collapse of the D in the 2nd half. It was totally and utterly disgusting. All the D had to do was hold on to the lead......just stop something, which they couldn't.......which is what Bills fans expect every time the D takes the field.

But you don't win playoff games on the road with 16 points, especially not when you turn it over. The entire team was very good first half and bad second half. 

11 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

Today's Bills are the 70s Raiders. Pretty darn good, just not good enough to win the whole shebang. 

The Raiders beat the Vikings in the Super Bowl in 1977. Anyway, McDermott isn't get fired anytime soon. Now Don Granato that might be a different story.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But you don't win playoff games on the road with 16 points, especially not when you turn it over. The entire team was very good first half and bad second half. 

The O didn't play well in the 2nd half that's true, however, even with mistakes they played well enough to win. The D had another one of its monumental collapses.

Like come on, it's not like the Texans were a powerhouse. Our D was ranked in the top 5 that year and held Houston to zero points in the first half. Then the 2nd half comes along with zero adjustments (which McD never does) and we're a sieve and giving up 19 straight points to lose the game.

How anyone could ever defend this clown is beyond me.

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

I think it's going to a long five months with many bored wanna be NFL experts with to much time!

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

With respect, I'm not sure the message is so much "heartfelt support" for McD, as 

1) impatience with the OP for his campaign

2) finding the McDermott/Jauron comparison inapt

You make sense. McDermott is better than Jauron ever was, no doubt.

I will however say this: Jauron, McDermott and yes Levy focused primarily on defensive backs. In 2006, we entered the draft with the #8 pick in rounds 1 and 2, and the nos. 5 and 8 in round 3. We came out of this great situation with S Donte Whitner, DT Josh McCargo, and S Ashton Youboty and to achieve this, Levy/Jauron traded away one of the 3rd rounders in a trade up for the inept McCargo. In the 4th round, these two Ivy League Grads drafted the famous Ko Simpson. You know, the one who asked his arresting police officers "Do you know who I am?" 

In 2017, we all know how McDermott traded away the Mahomes pick and drafted a cornerback. At the time, our QB room consisted of Tyrod Taylor, Cardale Jones, and EJ Manuel. McD however did not fully neglect the QB position, whereas he did draft Nathan Peterman in round 5. 😯

I think that it is very safe to say that history tells us that McDermott tends to focus more on defense than he does on offense. Despite all this. I do however agree that McDermott is superior to Jauron. I guess that it becomes a question of how much better.  Even Jauron, however painfully awful he was, didn't have Josh Allen, and McDermott does. I hope that his GREAT talent gets us a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're wrong.  

Your evidence that he's feeling the pressure is based on you evaluation of his performance in a press conference.  He's ALWAYS been bad in press conferences.  He's uncomfortable, he doesn't like it, and he isn't good at figuring out how to give useful answers to questions without saying too much.  

It's ridiculous, meaning it's fair to subject you to ridicule, for you to compare McDermott to Dick Jauron.  McDermott has built a perennial top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl, and Jauron went 7-9 three years in a row before the team fell apart.  There is NO meaningful comparison.  

You're free to not like McDermott, but you're not going to convince anyone who knows football.  The 49ers aren't firing Shanahan and the Bills aren't replacing McDermott.  

The voice of reason!

The idiotic challenge on the 9-yard pass on first down in the Denver game tore it for me.  Even if the challenge was successful, which it wasn't, gambling away that time out on a play that wasn't critical enough to challenge in the first place was the stupidest thing McDummy has done since 13 seconds.  We needed that timeout at the end, but we didn't have it.  He's reached his ceiling here, and I'm done with him.  I'll be more than happy to be wrong, but we never hoist the Lombardi as long as he is still the head coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sweats said:

The O didn't play well in the 2nd half that's true, however, even with mistakes they played well enough to win. The D had another one of its monumental collapses.

Like come on, it's not like the Texans were a powerhouse. Our D was ranked in the top 5 that year and held Houston to zero points in the first half. Then the 2nd half comes along with zero adjustments (which McD never does) and we're a sieve and giving up 19 straight points to lose the game.

How anyone could ever defend this clown is beyond me.

The O collapsed in that game. 24 yards, 18 yards, 22 yards and a turnover, 6 yards, 14 yards. 

Those were our offensive drives from 13-0 until 16-19. The offense blew it just as much as the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Did the O play perfect against the Texans?.......no, but they still had the team up by 16 points at the half.

Watch the game again and you'll see the monumental collapse of the D in the 2nd half. It was totally and utterly disgusting. All the D had to do was hold on to the lead......just stop something, which they couldn't.......which is what Bills fans expect every time the D takes the field.

The defense also had them up 16 at half. Because it’s a team game lol

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The defense also had them up 16 at half. Because it’s a team game lol

They were 13 up at half. Went 16 up when the defense forced a turnover already in FG range which the offense got the bare minimum out of.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Well, when a HOF multiple SB winning HC says it, then it sounds believable, acceptable and meaningful.

When McClappy says it, he sounds like a whiny little *****, with zero answers and trying to show some self-justification to the media and why he should keep his job.

Does anyone really care what comes out of someone's mouth at a press conference. You will never hear me say that McD has to go until we go a few years without making the playoffs.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They were 13 up at half. Went 16 up when the defense forced a turnover already in FG range which the offense got the bare minimum out of.

Folks remember that game much differently now that Watson fell off. 

Back then, Watson was arguably a top 6 QB in the NFL. We were not going to shut them out for 4 Q’s when the offense stopped sustaining drives for an entire half. 

Also, classic McDermott calling the “Milano and DE get free rushes at Watson but hit him at the exact same time to offset each other’s momentum and allow him to stay upright to make the play” playcall. I guess he’s gotta make the tackle himself too.

Edited by FireChans
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I woke up this morning and still can’t fathom saying we’re looking for Josh to become the face of the franchise 

it might be stranger than the 9/11 speech 

Do you think McD is calling out his leadership?

Otherwise, seems like a very strange thing to say.

Bills fans need to step back, and get some perspective of what it takes to win in the NFL.

Super Bowl is the goal.  

But a Super Bowl cannot be the ONLY measure of success.

It's OK to be frustrated, upset and even angry that our team hasn't reached the ultimate goal.  It's OK not to be satisfied with just winning Division Championships and Wild Card games.  I would imagine that every Buffalo Bills fan will not be happy until we take home a Lombardi Trophy.  But that doesn't mean we need to constantly tear-down the leaders of this organization (whether it be Brandon Beane, Sean McDermott or Josh Allen) and classify them as failures for coming up short.

The NFL postseason is a SINGLE-GAME elimination series.  Once you get into the middle rounds of the playoffs, those teams are usually very evenly matched.  60 minute games are often decided by a play or two, one fateful decision or even a coinflip in overtime.  There could be a dozen reasons for why a game turned out the way it did.  But once a team/coach/player ends up on the losing end 2-3 times... a narrative starts to emerge that they CAN'T do it, and the fans or media start turning on them.  History should tell us this is completely untrue.

• Bill Belichick was a head coach for 6 mostly losing seasons before winning his first Super Bowl.  Now he has more than anybody.
  • Andy Reid coached 21 years before getting a title.  Constantly falling short in the Conference Championship

Then you have coaches like Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Doug Pederson and Sean McVay who all managed a single Super Bowl win early, but now continually fall short year after year.  Did these legends somehow lose the magic aura?  Or is winning a Super Bowl something that is just really really hard and requires a significant amount of luck?

It's pretty obvious the Kansas City Chiefs are the measuring stick in the NFL.  Here are the facts:

Over the last four seasons, the Bills have a 3-4 record against them.  The last four contests were all decided by less than a touchdown. 

Brandon Beane has built a team capable of beating the Chiefs.  Sean McDermott has coached his team to victory over Andy Reid multiple times now.  And Josh Allen has proven the ability to defeat Mahomes.  The fact that our wins keep coming in the regular season and theirs keep coming in the postseason is just stupid dumb luck.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I woke up this morning and still can’t fathom saying we’re looking for Josh to become the face of the franchise 

it might be stranger than the 9/11 speech 

I think it is just a bit of a speech thing McDermott does. He follows it up with "like he has been". I don't think he was intending to suggest at all that Josh hasn't already been the face of the franchise. He just sometimes in his determination to say nothing answers questions about the future by stating things from the present. I have noticed it previously too.

• Like (+1) 1