McDermott is feeling the pressure

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo we only look at luck when it's convenient to the point we're trying to make, ie we've been unlucky to not have beaten the Chiefs in the postseason yet 

I'd argue we were much closer to missing the playoffs last year w a healthy Allen than we were to playing in a Super Bowl- that kind of good fortune gets overlooked

Being DVOA darlings and missing the playoffs would have been pretty unlikely, no?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I was down on him after we fell to 6-6 w the loss to the Eagles.  But he did one hell of a job not losing the team, keeping them focused and winning 6 straight games w a ton of injuries. Especially on defense. If we were healthy we would have likely gone to the Super Bowl.  Mike Tomlin has won one SB. As has John Harbaugh.  I put McDermott right there w them, if not better.

THIS!

No one looks at his positives.  We were dead to rites.  We swarmed back and took the East.  The defense was decimated.

We have a GREAT freaking coach people.  Rally and support.  

• Like (+1) 2

What scares me is that while we've certainly had our fare share of bad luck with injuries, Allen has been remarkably durable. I keep waiting for the (seemingly) inevitable injury that is coming...  As bad as our injuries have been we haven't had QB1 go down (like the Bengals last year). With his style of football it seems a matter of when not if. If it happens, we might miss the days when all we did was win the division and lose in the divisional round under McDermott and Allen.

I have no idea ask Jerry Jones he seems to be running two NFL franchises now the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills business affairs. I have 2 to 1 odds that Josh Allen at some point will be traded to the Dallas Cowboys when the Pegula’s are ready to move the Bills out of Buffalo that will be the first warning signs they are leaving Buffalo. It won’t be any where in Texas either because Jerry Jones won’t allow another NFL franchise in Texas carry on in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Marvin Lewis got fired. Period. 

And, similar to Andy Reid in Philly....Marvin Lewis did NOT get fired while the Bengals were notching 5 consecutive winning seasons and going to playoffs every year.

Marvin Lewis was fired after 3 consecutive losing seasons with no playoffs, 6-9-1, 7-9, 6-10

Strange how that works

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

And, similar to Andy Reid in Philly....Marvin Lewis did NOT get fired while the Bengals were notching 5 consecutive winning seasons and going to playoffs every year.

Marvin Lewis was fired after 3 consecutive losing seasons with no playoffs, 6-9-1, 7-9, 6-10

Strange how that works

John Fox in Denver

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Marvin Lewis got fired. Period. 

wait what?  Marvin Lewis hasn't been as successful as McD.  To even draw that comparison is strange. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Strange how that works

So your saying it was a wise decision to hang on too Marvin Lewis for those losing seasons?

4 hours ago, AZSanta said:

The Pats had Mac Jones at QB. He would have never got past Belichik if Brady was still there. Mahommes and Burrow have better coaches and will continue to own the Bills when its crunch time. Sorry to say it but its the reality of our situation. 

Belichick wanted Brady gone...so after 2019, he was. They drafted Jones in 2021 after realizing that Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham, and Brian Hoyer weren't gonna get it done 7-9 that season. 

Like I said, I had my doubts that Buffalo could get past the Patriots, and when they did 47-17 in that playoff game IN New England with Mac Jones at QB. I then realized that Belichick was no longer the defensive genius he once was and was no longer a threat for the division title.

Things change... and who knows how long Andy Reid and the Chiefs will be that SB-winning team as nothing lasts forever. That division now has two real threats at HC in Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton. Buffalo has beaten the Chiefs in KC more than any other team and now needs to have a defense that stays healthy all season. 

Have some faith man! Buffalo has a very, very good HC that has had his team screwed by defensive injuries the last two seasons. Von Miller getting hurt really killed the team's pass rush at the end of the last two years. A youth movement was needed.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

So your saying it was a wise decision to hang on too Marvin Lewis for those losing seasons?

Not at all.  I'm not giving my opinion either way on when it was wise to move on from Andy Reid in Philly or from Marvin Lewis in Cincy.

I'm simply pointing out that those using either Reid or Lewis as examples of a coach who brought his team to the playoffs year after year but was fired anyway are off-base: neither was fired while his team had a winning record and was going to playoffs annually.

They were fired after that stopped.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

John Fox in Denver

Yes!  John Fox is one of the few actual examples I can think of, of a coach who was winning and bringing his team to the playoffs, was fired anyway, and his replacement won a Superbowl his first year.

Tony Dungy with the Colts might be another - though the Colts under Caldwell lost the SB next season.

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not at all.  I'm not giving my opinion either way on when it was wise to move on from Andy Reid in Philly or from Marvin Lewis in Cincy.

I'm simply pointing out that those using either Reid or Lewis as examples of a coach who brought his team to the playoffs year after year but was fired anyway are off-base: neither was fired while his team had a winning record and was going to playoffs annually.

They were fired after that stopped.

Yes!  John Fox is one of the few actual examples I can think of, of a coach who was winning and bringing his team to the playoffs, was fired anyway, and his replacement won a Superbowl his first year.

Tony Dungy w Bucs

Just now, Beck Water said:

Oh, Holy Cow.  Colts, AND Bucs - Wow.

The point being- there are two very good examples of teams letting successful coaches who couldn't win Super Bowls go and winning the Super Bowl the VERY NEXT YEAR...I might argue we are more likely to win the Super Bowl after firing McDermott than become worse😂😂

I briefly lost faith part way through last season but McD has been a steadying presence his entire Bills tenure. We have a culture of accountability and winning that starts with him. 

McD definitely has his faults. He's too conservative. He meddles with the offense, putting guys in bad positions (e.g. forcing a pass blocking line to run more than they're suited) because he wants complimentary football. Reid owns him. 

With all that said, until we have a roster so unequivocally talented as to only be held back by their coach, McD still has value here. Besides, I get the impression that McBeane are an item, and that combo has proven capable across multilple seasons now. The grass isn't always greener, and we had a lot of years of some *****-brown grass in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The point being- there are two very good examples of teams letting successful coaches who couldn't win Super Bowls go and winning the Super Bowl the VERY NEXT YEAR...I might argue we are more likely to win the Super Bowl after firing McDermott than become worse😂😂

You might argue if you like, but given all the examples of teams that were winning and seeing playoffs, parted with their HC, and did NOT do better with their next head coach (including Dungy with the Colts - Caldwell went to a Superbowl, but lost) - I predict your argument will be a bit tenuous.