PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

Ewwwwwww. Aldi, I knew it. Trash 

Well, I didn’t want to brag, but I also have a Costco membership.  Gotta save money somewhere and that’s where ALDIs comes into play. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think the PSLs will sell fairly well.  I base that on a couple things.  One, the general level of insanity for the Bills among the fan base.  Two, I think there is more disposable income folks among fans than is generally thought to be so.  Every year we see how much Bills fans will travel to away games, thus they have the $$ to do so.  Plus I mentioned earlier when I visit the area restaurants, bars, other sporting events like the Bandits are full.  

I think you’ll see scenarios where folks may split the cost and go to X number of games and such.  

I have my doubts. Going by the comments on the article about the price of the PSLs I saw on Facebook, many are upset and a lot say they are priced out of season tickets now. 

As far as fans traveling, IMO it's similar to Sabres away games, in that a lot of former WNYers live in a lot of those cities. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have my doubts. Going by the comments on the article about the price of the PSLs I saw on Facebook, many are upset and a lot say they are priced out of season tickets now. 

I feel a lot of those people complaining are seeing the prices for club seats and thinking that will be the entire stadium prices.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Just Jack said:

I feel a lot of those people

complaining are seeing the prices for club seats and thinking that will be the entire stadium prices.  

Even at $6000 as the cheapest many said it's too much. 

34 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Well, I didn’t want to brag, but I also have a Costco membership.  Gotta save money somewhere and that’s where ALDIs comes into play. 

Costco??  Ha!  So you pay a PSL to shop for groceries??  Sucker!!  Hope my tax dollars didn’t pay to build that ***** store!

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

By entertainment venues do you mean *only* football (or soccer in Europe)?

Because I cant think of any other entertainment venue where you pay for the building, then pay to enter the building, then pay to sit in the seat.

- You dont do that at concerts (unless its at a FOOTBALL stadium).
- You dont do that at comedy shows (no PSL, and taxpayers didnt pay for the venue). 
- You dont do that at magician acts (no PSL, and taxpayers didnt pay for the venue).
- You dont do that at medieval times (no PSL, and taxpayers didnt pay for the venue).

- You don't do that at festivals (taxpayers *might* have paid for the venue, but no PSL).

It's only football (or soccer). 

What is successful about it? Do you mean that a few billionaire owners are successful at taking money? 

No I don’t just mean football.  As I have said, sports entertainment is different.

Who paid for State Farm Arena when I watched Elton John, Bill Burr, Jo Koy and other entertainers?  I had to pay for parking in the parking lot my taxes paid for.  I had to pay for the seat.  I had to pay the ticket fees.

You are a businessman and you’re telling me that financial growth doesn’t mean success?  This sport is bigger than all other US sports combined and it will continue to grow.  People are buying the product they are selling.  Its supply meets demand and demand is high.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who paid for State Farm Arena when I watched Elton John, Bill Burr, Jo Koy and other entertainers?  I had to pay for parking in the parking lot my taxes paid for.  I had to pay for the seat.  I had to pay the ticket fees.

Where did you pay for the right to buy the tickets in this example? To meet the qualifications of our situation, the example must include:

1) You, the taxpayer, paying for the venue.

2) You paying for the right to buy the ticket (PSL).

3) You paying for the ticket.

If any of these are missing, the comparison is not valid.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Where did you pay for the right to buy the tickets in this example? To meet the qualifications of our situation, the example must include:

Tax payer funded venues is an easy one.  Paying for the ticket is 100% of the time. If you count TM fees or Stub Hub fees or whatever as “the right to buy the seat” all of your boxes are checked. This isn’t rare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Comparisons do not need to be 100% the same to be valid lol.  That would mean you can’t compare anything because nothing is 100% alike.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Comparisons do not need to be 100% the same to be valid lol.  That would mean you can’t compare anything because nothing is 100% alike.

The PSL’s are the problem for most, so removing that comparable item necessarily removes the point of a comparison.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tax payer funded venues is an easy one.  Paying for the ticket is 100% of the time. If you count TM fees or Stub Hub fees or whatever as “the right to buy the seat” all of your boxes are checked.

Posters really need to read and understand the context of a post or discussion before responding.

1) PSL’s = / = Ticket Fees.

2) No-one is arguing that this is not rare circumstance in sports. We all know billionaire owners made PSL’s common in sports. This discussion originated from saying that it is not common in general BUSINESS. An analogy was made to taxpayers not paying for the Taco Bell building, then paying to enter the building they paid for, then paying for the tacos themselves. That is what spawned the post you responded to.

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The PSL’s are the problem for most, so removing that comparable item necessarily removes the point of a comparison.

Posters really need to read and understand the context of a post or discussion before responding.

1) PSL’s = / = Ticket Fees.

2) No-one is arguing that this is not rare circumstance in sports. We all know billionaire owners made PSL’s common in sports. This discussion originated from saying that it is not common in general BUSINESS. An analogy was made to taxpayers not paying for the Taco Bell building, then paying to enter the building they paid for, then paying for the tacos themselves. That is what spawned the post you responded to.

But it is the norm in entertainment. The tax payers fund the facility. The tickets cost what they cost. You pay a fee on top of that ticket price to be able to purchase the ticket.

Why compare a sporting event to a Taco Bell instead of a sporting event to a theater or concert venue? You can compare ice cream to frozen yogurt or you can compare ice cream to toilet paper. I’m not sure why you’re electing the ice cream to toilet paper as opposed to ice cream to frozen yogurt. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But it is the norm in entertainment. The tax payers fund the facility. The tickets cost what they cost. You pay a fee on top of that ticket price to be able to purchase the ticket.

Why compare a sporting event to a Taco Bell instead of a sporting event to a theater or concert venue? You can compare ice cream to frozen yogurt or you can compare ice cream to toilet paper. I’m not sure why you’re electing the ice cream to toilet paper as opposed to ice cream to frozen yogurt. 

Using toilet paper because their argument is sh!t. 🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But it is the norm in entertainment.

It’s not.

theater

Name the theaters that were:

1) Built using taxpayer money

2) AND Charges PSL’s for the right to purchase tickets.

3) AND Then charges for the ticket itself.

You may find some venues that meet #1. And of course #3. But show me the venues that meet all three. Then we can compare.

or concert venue?

Name the concert venues that were:

2) AND Charges PSL’s for the right to purchase tickets.

3) AND Then charges for the ticket itself.

You may find some venues that meet #1. And of course #3. But show me the venues that meet all three. Then we can compare.

The reason the Taco Bell argument arose is because a poster made a comment that this type of activity is normal in all business. Not just sports. The entire point was to compare what is done in sports to an unrelated business. Again, you have to follow the conversation to understand why posts are written.

Outside of a few extreme outliers, you’re not going to find many examples.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

when you have a PSL you own the right to a seat at any event held in that arena/stadium. Period. (Except for the SuperBowl which we won’t ever have to worry about anyway)

This is not necessarily true. I had PSLs at a stadium in another city and only had the rights to the seats for football. The Pegulas can make other events part of the PSL package - or not. It is 100% up to them.

Functionally it doesn’t make much sense to tie PSL holders to their seats anyway. One issue is that some seats won’t even be used for concerts as they’d be behind the stage. Also additional seats would be added for an event like that and other seats would be in much better or worse locations than for football. It’s easier to just allow PSL owners to buy the seats they want before the general public. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This is not necessarily true. I had PSLs at a stadium in another city and only had the rights to the seats for football. The Pegulas can make other events part of the PSL package - or not. It is 100% up to them.

Functionally it doesn’t make much sense to tie PSL holders to their seats anyway. One issue is that some seats won’t even be used for concerts as they’d be behind the stage. Also additional seats would be added for an event like that and other seats would be in much better or worse locations than for football. It’s easier to just allow PSL owners to buy the seats they want before the general public. 

This is correct.

PSL’s mainly give you first dibs at paying full price to garbage - Monster Truck Rallies, lower level concerts, etc.

For example, Atlanta Falcons PSL holders don’t get to use their PSL for Chick Fil A bowl game, or college playoff, or even bowl game. I don’t think Taylor Swift concerts count either.

You just get football tickets and the garbage that doesn’t sell out.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It’s not.

Name the theaters that were:

2) Charges PSL’s for the right to purchase tickets.

3) Then charges for the ticket itself.

Name the concert venues that were:

2) Charges PSL’s for the right to purchase tickets.

3) Then charges for the ticket itself.

The reason the Taco Bell argument arose is because a poster made a comment that this type of activity is normal in all business. Not just sports. Again, you have to follow the conversation to understand why posts are written.

Is this a serious question? Why do people double down and triple down when they’re wrong? Remember when you could just be wrong and move along?

At any rate, MANY concert facilities / theaters are owned by the tax payers. As an example, Shea’s is owned by the City of Buffalo. All charge for tickets. Any fees associated with those tickets are the equivalent of a PSL. They are a fee for the right to buy a ticket. ben carson t GIF

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why do people double down and triple down when their wrong? Remember when you could just be wrong and move along?

You should be asking yourself that question.

At any rate, MANY concert facilities / theaters are owned by the tax payers. As an example, Shea’s is owned by the City of Buffalo. All charge for tickets.

Dont move the goalposts. No-one said there aren’t any entertainment venues built by taxpayers. The question was non-sports entertainment venues that were: 

1) Built by taxpayers.

2) AND Have PSL’s.

3) AND You must purchase tickets on top of the PSL or lose it.

All three must apply for comparison.

I would have assumed you would be able to find at least a few outliers among the 20,000+ in existence.

But that really goes to show how it’s NOT the norm. Only in sports.

Any fees associated with those tickets are the equivalent of a PSL. They are a fee for the right to buy a ticket.

No.

Ticket fees = / = PSL’s.

PSL’s originate from the organization producing the product (Buffalo Bills, for example).

Ticket fees originate from a completely separate entity that uses stub fees as their business model and does not benefit the originating organization.

To say that ticket fees are PSL’s is to say that restaurant who put a “kitchen fee” on your tab are charging PSL’s for your food. It’s not optional and you aren’t getting your food (at least legally) without paying for the fee.

It also makes no sense considering that the Bills have announced that they will only be using online brokers (like Ticketmaster) going forward, so it would be a double PSL - ticket fee and *actual* PSL.

Its all around a really poor argument on your part. 

Edited by Einstein