The 60's Music... or Crazy Purple Things

37 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I always get a laugh over stations and listeners who think recent Winwood tracks are his crowning achievement, and haven't a clue regarding early work with the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, and Blind Faith.

Same with J. Geils Band.  The old tracks are the best.  Take 'Centerfold' and throw that on the music trash heap.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I always get a laugh over stations and listeners who think recent Winwood tracks are his crowning achievement, and haven't a clue regarding early work with the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, and Blind Faith.

Same with J. Geils Band.  The old tracks are the best.  Take 'Centerfold' and throw that on the music trash heap.

On the other hand, there are certainly some artists who are not proud of the "sins of their youth". Example: David Bowie (1967)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I find it interesting that a thread about "The 60s Music" doesn't mention Bob Dylan whose folk songs became anthems for the civil rights and anti-war movements  or the Beatles who had a profound influence on American music, including sparking the "British Invasion" of the US music. 

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I find it interesting that a thread about "The 60s Music" doesn't mention Bob Dylan whose folk songs became anthems for the civil rights and anti-war movements  or the Beatles who had a profound influence on American music, including sparking the "British Invasion" of the US music. 

The problem with the Beatles is that they wrote so many excellent songs in different styles that it is impossible to select one representing the full spectrum of their music. Perhaps the closest to a consensus, at least among professional critics, "A Day In The Life".

My personal favorites (probably not shared by many), "Hey Bulldog"...

...and "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" (this one mostly because of the lyrics).

16 hours ago, SoTier said:

Perhaps they go without mentioning because everyone knows how influential these artists were. 

On 3/18/2024 at 1:52 AM, Pete said:

1967-1972 and 1989-1994 are the two greatest musical periods in history IMO

I did college radio from about '89-'93, so definitely agree on that!   Frickin awesome period for music as the 80's were getting blown out of the water.  I'd go in off-shift just to listen through zillions of albums in total bliss.  

I'm a bit earlier on the 60's- maybe '64-'68 for the excitement phase, with '67 just hitting a beautiful pinnacle.   Definitely still great stuff heading into the early 70's, but the rawness and thrill was starting to get more bloated and distorted to me. 

Not trying to get down on any period- there's been great stuff in every decade... including the 80''s and the 50's.  

Speaking of bloated, yet thrilling:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Perhaps they go without mentioning because everyone knows how influential these artists were. 

@SoTier the "without mentioning" may mean there are turns for everyone to contribute.  And that band just hasn't come up yet.

If you want to see a music thread explode check out the "songs with a persons name" thread. 

the funny crazy purple things have not really been addressed yet @BringMetheHeadofLeonLett I found a couple that qualify for this thread. Check out purple kitty yo. He clearly belongs here.

cat.jpeg

then I saw pumpkins ion a bad acid trip this one clearly belongs here LOL

smaller.jpeg

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1