Russ signs 1yr $1.2M deal with Pittsburgh

Process

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

This is due to his Denver contract containing offset language. Whatever he gets paid this season by another team gets deducted from what Denver has to pay him. 

Also the Steelers play at Denver this year. 

I understand that but Pittsburgh has zero skin in the game.  What happens if a QB they didn’t think would be there lasts until their pick?  Or let’s say Pickett looks decent in training camp.  Or Pittsburgh starts 0-2 with Wilson starting.  Feels like Wilson is trying too hard to show people he still wants to play.  Even $5m from Pittsburgh shows some commitment towards Wilson.  

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I understand that but Pittsburgh has zero skin in the game.  What happens if a QB they didn’t think would be there lasts until their pick?  Or let’s say Pickett looks decent in training camp.  Or Pittsburgh starts 0-2 with Wilson starting.  Feels like Wilson is trying too hard to show people he still wants to play.  Even $5m from Pittsburgh shows some commitment towards Wilson.  

It's a 1 year deal, and he gets the same money either way, so no commitment either way, and it frees up more money for players elsewhere in Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh's defense is always near the top of the league in % of the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Disagree. That $1.2 is no commitment. Neither would $5m. They’re bringing him in for competition, don’t think he nails it in either for the reason you stated; he wants to show people he’s willing to play. He’ll get that chance there. 

Pitt will be looking at these QBs if they fall to them, no doubt. Pickett isn’t the guy. The guy isn’t even on the roster. That team is just looking to win now and fix the position as they go. 

They have too much talent on both sides of the ball just to wait it out and hope something materializes that’s a long term fix. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That makes no sense. The exact same amount of money hits Wilson’s bank account whether the Steelers pay him $1.2M, $5M or $35M. Every dollar they save this year can go to Wilson next year if he balls out. Or not if he doesn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Its the nature of the contractual situation, 5M for Pitt benefits the Broncos cap by 5M, why would the Steelers or RUss want to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

starting to wonder which AFC North team will falter.

Am I the only one surprised that Cincy isn't trying to trade Jake Browning into a hot QB market? I think they could get some decent draft capital for him

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As I said in another thread, the only team in the entire NFL that made sense for Wilson from a potential starters perspective was the Steelers.  Between the defense and run game, they don't need the QB to carry the team, they just need them not to totally suck and they are a playoff team.  If the QB can be solid, they could challenge to win their division.  If the QB can be pretty good, they could be a threat in the AFC.  

But, I wasn't sold that the Steelers would be interested from a locker room fit stand point.  But at a million dollars, thats the bargain of a lifetime even for a backup QB so it makes sense as they really are free rolling on this because if he sucks they have nothing vested and can bench or even cut him. And for Wilson, gives him a chance to redeem his image on a one year prove it deal and try and secure his spot in Pitt long term or somewhere else next offseason.  

I think the locker room issue is pretty overblown. Wilson is a weird dude but so is Rodgers. Both guys have won Super Bowls and a lot of games in the NFL. Obviously, Wilson hasn't played as well lately, but the guys around him just want someone that will make them better. Wilson is a big improvement from Pickett, Trubisky and Rudolph, so I think it wont be a big deal 

57 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

But there is no need to do that. Paying Wilson more only helps Denver. The steelers are a good organization and Wilson will be the starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, stuvian said:

starting to wonder which AFC North team will falter.

Am I the only one surprised that Cincy isn't trying to trade Jake Browning into a hot QB market? I think they could get some decent draft capital for him

A good backup is worth far more than a 4th round pick

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Then you draft them and cut wilson - or more likely trade pickett.  

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

This is not a knock on Pittsburgh’s supporting cast it’s about Wilson deciding too quickly

He was in the most unique situation in NFL history. A free QB every team would’ve taken because like I said he is basically free (1 year $1.2 mil).

Why rush?

Just my opinion but I’d bet after the draft we’re going to see a team still lacking at the QB position and we will be like man Wilson should’ve waited and been the starter there. 

Again Pittsburgh could work out but wouldn’t that offer still be there after the draft? Steelers resign Rudolph? Maybe… but even if they do they’ll offer that same 1yr $1.2 mil contract because it’s a nothing contract that EVERY team in the NFL would give him 

There are plenty of teams that wouldn't give him that contract. Some because they don't want competition for the young guy they are grooming. Others just don't need the possible publicity problems. Nearly any team would think $1.5M is good value for Wilson but plenty might think Wilson isn't a good fit with their offense. We might think Wilson wouldn't be wholly committed in a backup role. Might not want him in the locker room.

More, Wilson doesn't want a situation where he's slotted in as a backup. After the draft and FA, more teams will have committed to another guy as starter.

Even more, Pittsburgh isn't going to spend any other significant resources on QB now. Because they have Wilson. The fact that they don't spend more resources on QB gives them a chance to be better this year if he works out. If Wilson had not signed there, Pittsburgh would very possibly have committed more resources to QB, perhaps even a first round QB, possibly even a trade-up. At that point even if they later signed Wilson the team would have less resources to put around him this year. And less inclination to bring Wilson in.

You could definitely be right that after the draft there'll be a team that at that time looks like it will need Wilson. No reason to think it would definitely be a better fit than the Steelers though. It might be better or it might be worse.

There's a very decent chance this will turn out to have been his best move, even in hindsight. It's also possible it will look bad. IMO this was a reasonable move for him. He also gets some certainty early and more time to learn the playbook and get to know what he's getting into.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think the locker room issue is pretty overblown. Wilson is a weird dude but so is Rodgers. Both guys have won Super Bowls and a lot of games in the NFL. Obviously, Wilson hasn't played as well lately, but the guys around him just want someone that will make them better. Wilson is a big improvement from Pickett, Trubisky and Rudolph, so I think it wont be a big deal 

But there is no need to do that. Paying Wilson more only helps Denver. The steelers are a good organization and Wilson will be the starter. 

I think he got a big fat slice of humble pie the last 2 seasons.  They aren't expecting him to be a top of the league pro-bowl starter.  They're looking instead to run the arthur smith offense, with a QB who i think we can all agree is better than tannehill, mariota, ridder, or heinicke.  For so little money they upgraded at QB, and can use cap space to upgrade the offensive line to improve their running game and pass protection.  

• Like (+1) 1

LOL, love it. A huge F U over to Denver, and Pittsburgh gets to just grab him for free basically. No risk and huge upside for both Pittsburgh and Russel Wilson.

Also, how many years can Russell Wilson carry this on? He has multiple years with guaranteed money doesn't he?

Edited by CheshireCT

It really doesn't matter,  Wilson has baggage accompanying him wherever he goes.  Steelers have been non existent on the offensive side of the ball since 2020.

It make sense to spend just 1.2 million on a 1 year contract and see what happens.  How many other teams were under .500 and have not been to a playoff game in  5 to 10 years passed on this opportunity.  The Steelers are willing to push the chips into the middle of the table and see what happens.

Good move since they are only committed to 1 yr and $1.2 mil on the books.

Hell Wilson beat us at home with a good game and that unreal throw to the endzone.  Give Pitt that type of opportunity on the "O side" of the ball and they are a completely different team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

There are plenty of teams that wouldn't give him that contract. Some because they don't want competition for the young guy they are grooming. Others just don't need the possible publicity problems.

More, Wilson doesn't want a situation where he's slotted in as a backup. After the draft and FA, more teams will have committed to another guy as starter.

More, Pittsburgh isn't going to spend any other significant resources on QB now. Because they had Wilson. The fact that they don't spend more resources on QB gives them a chance to be better this year if he works out. If Wilson had not signed there, Pittsburgh would very possibly have committed more resources to QB, perhaps even a first round QB, possibly even a trade-up. At that point even if they later signed Wilson the team would have less resources to put around him this year. And less inclination to bring Wilson in.

You could definitely be right that after the draft there'll be a team that at that time looks like it will need Wilson. No reason to think it would be a better fit than the Steelers though. It might be better or it might be worse.

There are a lot of teams that need upgrades at QB - 3 are picking 1-2-3 in the draft so i assume they'll all grab them unless one of the other need teams makes them a big offer.

Bears depends what happens with fields but i assume they trade fields and draft.

Commanders will draft. 

Patriots will probably draft as i don't think they see themselves as a team drafting in the top 5 very often.  There's the possibility of adding a serious playmaker, but that only works if you bring in a cousins or fields or something.  

So the biggest need teams - and the likely landing spots for cousins, wilson, mayfield and fields (and to a lesser extent - winston, darnold, minshew)

Falcons - Definitely need an upgrade

Steelers - Signed wilson

Bucs - Re-upped with Baker so they're out

Vikings - Without cousins can they make things work with one of the other options?

Giants - Jones has an injury guarantee that triggers for next year.  I feel like they have to do something here

Raiders - Definitely need an upgrade even in O'connell might have done some good things.  

Broncos - Don't think it matters who the QB is because they're going to be bad

Titans - Probably roll with levis but I don't see him being a star

I assume one of these teams ends up with McCarthy.  I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them jump into that top 3 too.  Patriots especially seem like they're that wildcard team that needs a QB, but also know they need a reset and would be content with a bad teams future picks assuming they don't move down too far.  

3 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

It really doesn't matter,  Wilson has baggage accompanying him wherever he goes.  Steelers have been non existent on the offensive side of the ball since 2020.

It make sense to spend just 1.2 million on a 1 year contract and see what happens.  How many other teams were under .500 and have not been to a playoff game in  5 to 10 years passed on this opportunity.  The Steelers are willing to push the chips into the middle of the table and see what happens.

Good move since they are only committed to 1 yr and $1.2 mil on the books.

Hell Wilson beat us at home with a good game and that unreal throw to the endzone.  Give Pitt that type of opportunity on the "O side" of the ball and they are a completely different team.

They were an OK rushing offense, if they can improve that - then wilson can thrive where he's at his best in play action.  

If they try to make him a rhythm passer like brees, they will fail.  

Kudus to the Steelers.  This is a completely one-sided deal.  Even if Pickett wins the job, there are always QB injuries and a desperate win now team would probably unload a 2nd rounder for that contract if a Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Purdue, Hurts goes down.  Heck they could probably flip him for a 3rd rounder on the 2nd day of the draft once the 1st round QB’s are taken.  

23 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

There are a lot of teams that need upgrades at QB - 3 are picking 1-2-3 in the draft so i assume they'll all grab them unless one of the other need teams makes them a big offer.

Bears depends what happens with fields but i assume they trade fields and draft.

Commanders will draft. 

Patriots will probably draft as i don't think they see themselves as a team drafting in the top 5 very often.  There's the possibility of adding a serious playmaker, but that only works if you bring in a cousins or fields or something.  

So the biggest need teams - and the likely landing spots for cousins, wilson, mayfield and fields (and to a lesser extent - winston, darnold, minshew)

Falcons - Definitely need an upgrade

Steelers - Signed wilson

Bucs - Re-upped with Baker so they're out

Vikings - Without cousins can they make things work with one of the other options?

Giants - Jones has an injury guarantee that triggers for next year.  I feel like they have to do something here

Raiders - Definitely need an upgrade even in O'connell might have done some good things.  

Broncos - Don't think it matters who the QB is because they're going to be bad

Titans - Probably roll with levis but I don't see him being a star

I assume one of these teams ends up with McCarthy.  I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them jump into that top 3 too.  Patriots especially seem like they're that wildcard team that needs a QB, but also know they need a reset and would be content with a bad teams future picks assuming they don't move down too far.  

So ....? Why are you replying to me? 

This doesn't have any direct logical link to what I said in my post. I think it's all reasonably on target as far as teams and needs. A few are arguable, but overall OK. But how does this all relate to what I said?

Most of those teams need a QB. Doesn't mean they'd want Wilson.

Yes, a lot of teams might have been in the Wilson market. After the draft and FA most of them would have committed to someone. Certainly no guarantee that a better opportunity than Pittsburgh would be out there. Probably most, maybe all would at least have looked at him. Plenty of them might have decided not to take him for the reasons I suggested.

You said every team. And that's wrong. I'm not at all sure how many would have been willing to commit.

And the team would have made many to most of their offseason personnel moves without knowing Wilson would be on the roster and therefore might easily have made moves that would hurt them in terms of having greatly reduced cap room and no draft picks left to make after knowing Wilson will be on board. Pittsburgh can make all their moves now knowing he's their QB and do a much better job of fitting a team around him.

Edited by Thurman#1

Great move for the Steelers. Russ showed flashes last season. If the Steelers line is better than Denvers - Russ can cook still. It will be interesting to watch what they do in the draft. For me, the Steelers just got much better.