Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Our cap is ok given the moves we’ve now made.  Beane’s drafting in recent years will help lessen the blow.  Now he just needs to nail this upcoming one.

The Diggs, Von & Tre contracts are tough.. because all of them have big cap hits and none of them played as we expected them to last year:  Diggs as an elite WR1, Von as an elite pass rusher and Tre as a lockdown corner. 

Then you add in all the money & picks constantly spent on DL and a guy like Knox, who is just a weird situation now given the Kincaid pick.. and that’s how we got here.   Again, not in a bad position, but a slightly uncomfortable one with a day like Wednesday & another, likely, non-splashy FA period being necessary. 

How is Diggs elite?  He is a low end #1 at this point and every game against KC he disappeared.   That is not Elite by any measure.   We need to not touch his contract at all and if he can't step up this next year ( presuming we use the draft to improve the WR corp,Corp, he needs to be traded this next offseason.

Something else I noticed, Beane is signing players the team and coaches know to guarantee money that averages out to less than vet minimum per year: Edwards, Rapp, and Trubisky. Not a huge savings but shows a change in philosophy and that right now every penny counts. Think Beane is doing this so he can make a couple of quality signings in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

How is Diggs elite?  He is a low end #1 at this point and every game against KC he disappeared.   That is not Elite by any measure.   We need to not touch his contract at all and if he can't step up this next year ( presuming we use the draft to improve the WR corp,Corp, he needs to be traded this next offseason.

I said he’s part of the problem.

Those three big contracts.. none of them being what we paid them to be, which is elite at their position. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I said he’s part of the problem.

Those three big contracts.. none of them being what we paid them to be, which is elite at their position. 

That’s why I think the bills should pull a gb and draft 2 wr in the first 3 rounds if they are there, and move on from diggs next season if they r quality players.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Top 10 in receptions in the NFL the last 4 years running and on the top of that list twice.  Low end number one.  Gotcha.

6 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

That’s why I think the bills should pull a gb and draft 2 wr in the first 3 rounds if they are there, and move on from diggs next season if they r quality players.  

Agree, especially in a draft as loaded as this one at the position.

Assuming the extend Dawkins & Brown, the Offense is set for the short & long term.  Adding two quality rookie WR’s to go with Kincaid in his second year could lock in this Offense around Josh Allen for a long time. 

People can worry about the Defense if we double dip at WR, but the Safety and DT FA market could not be set up any better for what we need this off-season.   EDGE is a worry, but it’s not like anyone ever gets pressure during the Playoffs anyway.  Just get some big bodies to push the pocket back and let what might be a Top 2 LB tandem in the NFL get to work. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Assuming the extend Dawkins & Brown, the Offense is set for the short & long term.  Adding two quality rookie WR’s to go with Kincaid in his second year could lock in this Offense around Josh Allen for a long time. 

People can worry about the Defense if we double dip at WR, but the Safety and DT FA market could not be set up any better for what we need this off-season.   EDGE is a worry, but it’s not like anyone ever gets pressure during the Playoffs anyway.  Just get some big bodies to push the pocket back and let what might be a Top 2 LB tandem in the NFL get to work. 

My thoughts exactly on all counts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The Athletic had a writeup about how the Bills were stymied without a deep threat, which allowed defenses to roll up on Shakir, Diggs, and Kincaid. The only thing they could do is bid their time and look for one or two deep shots per game. You remember how that went: Allen overthrew Diggs in two games when he got open, and Diggs dropped the perfect ball in the playoffs. In short, not a sustainable offense. With a true deep threat keeping the safeties honest, Diggs could revive his superstar ways. According to the article, he was still displaying elite speed and moves. 

I'm working VERY hard to refrain from taking a shot at Gabe Davis. Must...concentrate...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We are going in the wrong direction lol.  We went from 12 to 14 million overnight.

Beane should be making some moves today.

Not sure what's taking him so long with an Allen restructure. He seems to want to find other ways of making it happen without doing that

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not sure what's taking him so long with an Allen restructure. He seems to want to find other ways of making it happen without doing that

Allen is in Paris. He would have to be present to sign an extension. Odd timing on Allen’s part and I hope it’s not a sign of trouble ahead. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Allen is in Paris. He would have to be present to sign an extension. Odd timing on Allen’s part and I hope it’s not a sign of trouble ahead. 

Not an extension. A restructure. The team doesn't need Allen's permission to do that. They can just simply convert his money to a signing bonus. He doesn't have to agree to it. That's why it's strange to me this hasn't been done yet

3 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

He doesn’t have to be present to sign lol.  Ever hear of fax machines ?

7 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

To play devils advocate, would you agree to a modification to your contract again without assurances the team is  going to give you better weapons?  

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

To play devils advocate, would you agree to a modification to your contract again without assurances the team is  going to give you better weapons?  

He would get the money more upfront. And it would save us cap space. Why would he care?

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I think you look to FA for defense.  Young guys on the come up.  Any 30 plus vet I would bring back our own for that role.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He would get the money more upfront. And it would save us cap space. Why would he care?

I’d advise people to find the Joe Marino episode about this where he says these big contracts have restructuring options built into it where the team cause restructure it at any time.  A lot of people think a restructure is a new contract when it’s not.  

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Wouldn’t a Josh Allen restructure put them close to 50 mill under the cap?

If so, they can bring in a big fish or two.

No it will save 23 million this year so they’d only be about 8ish under 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’d advise people to find the Joe Marino episode about this where he says these big contracts have restructuring options built into it where the team cause restructure it at any time.  A lot of people think a restructure is a new contract when it’s not.  

No it will save 23 million this year so they’d only be about 8ish under 

I never said a restructure is a new contract. I know it's not a new contract. They would just be converting his base salary into bonuses or incentives to make more cap space. But if they make it a signing bonus, he gets the money upfront and the team doesn't need his permission to do that. So, the fact that this hasn't been done yet is weird 

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

It will have to be 1st round and 4th round.  We don't have a 3rd thanks to this secret convoluted formula. And unfortunately Thomas & Mitchell may both be gone by 28.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I never said a restructure is a new contract. I know it's not a new contract. They would just be converting his base salary into bonuses or incentives to make more cap space. But if they make it a signing bonus, he gets the money upfront and the team doesn't need his permission to do that. So, the fact that this hasn't been done yet is weird 

I didn’t mean you just a lot of people in general sorry for the confusion.  You’d think it would have to be done right?  There’s some other ways to open up money but doing his is 23 million !

Edited by CaptnCoke11