Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

And now back to the topic at hand.  

I’m a little surprised we didn’t see any additional cap moves by the Bills yesterday.  I guess Beane needed a break after Wednesday to reshape his hatchet.  

The NHL trade deadline is today.  How will Beane upstage Adams again today? 

Not much left to do other than restructure Josh and potentially Von’s $7m roster bonus.  And Beane clearly likes to wait to do those things until he needs them to sign someone.  Don’t have to be cap compliant  until Wednesday and tampering period starts Monday.  Beane has become a master of manipulating agents, players and fans that he has no cap space but he usually finds it for the players he wants.  

10 hours ago, Yantha said:

The Patriots "window" was EIGHTEEN YEARS....

There is no such thing as a window.  You either have a staff that can continually put the right players on the field or you do not.

No window.

I agree that if you have a QB, the window is always open. 

But that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a window.  In other sports GMs sometimes operate on a "window" theory, trying to accumulate a lot of young talent and winning a championship before it's time to renew the contracts of several players at significantly higher contracts.   The Mariners had a window, for example, when they had Griffey Jr, A-Rod, and Randy Johnson.   They weren't going to be able to keep them all, and they saw the window closing.  Unfortunately, they didn't get through it before it closed. 

In the NFL, the workings of the draft and the cap make discussions of windows less likely.  The Dolphins and the Bengals have mini-windows, because they've both been playing with two number 1 receivers, which they could afford because one was on a rookie contract and because their QBs were on rookie contracts.   Those windows are now closing, and the we'll have to see if those franchises have GMs and coaches who can in a more normal situation - high QB contract and only one number 1 receiver.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree that if you have a QB, the window is always open. 

But that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a window.  In other sports GMs sometimes operate on a "window" theory, trying to accumulate a lot of young talent and winning a championship before it's time to renew the contracts of several players at significantly higher contracts.   The Mariners had a window, for example, when they had Griffey Jr, A-Rod, and Randy Johnson.   They weren't going to be able to keep them all, and they saw the window closing.  Unfortunately, they didn't get through it before it closed. 

In the NFL, the workings of the draft and the cap make discussions of windows less likely.  The Dolphins and the Bengals have mini-windows, because they've both been playing with two number 1 receivers, which they could afford because one was on a rookie contract and because their QBs were on rookie contracts.   Those windows are now closing, and the we'll have to see if those franchises have GMs and coaches who can in a more normal situation - high QB contract and only one number 1 receiver.  

The question that Miami has to consider, is Tua worth a mid to high contract? Depending on what that franchise feels he's worth, the Fins could be cash-strapped for quite a few years, with zero results to show for it. When the bill comes due in Miami, that team is going to be hurting. I see people laughing at the Bills right now on social media because of the cap purge Beane has been doing all week, however, i think the Fins are going to really feel it within a few years.....i think their window is closing fast.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not much left to do other than restructure Josh and potentially Von’s $7m roster bonus.  And Beane clearly likes to wait to do those things until he needs them to sign someone.  Don’t have to be cap compliant  until Wednesday and tampering period starts Monday.  Beane has become a master of manipulating agents, players and fans that he has no cap space but he usually finds it for the players he wants.  

In hindsight the majority of Beane's moves so far except the Miller pay cut, were the easy decisions.  Except Douglas, who nearly everyone expected to return, Beane cut away the 7 largest cap hit players who had dead money below their cap hits including White, Harty, Hines, Morse, Bates, White and Poyer.  All 7 were on my potential cap casualties groups.    The only remaining guys in those groups are Gilliam, Martin and Hamlin.  None of which really generates much in the way of cap savings.  

The hard part is now as we still need about 30 to 40 million in cap savings to complete the roster and sign our draft picks.  Granted the majority can come from restructuring Josh's deal (23 million).  Another 16 million is possible through Diggs, but I'd rather see cap savings through extensions of key players like Dawkins, Oliver and T Johnson and some careful restructuring of Knox and Milano.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some changes to Diggs' deal as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Clarification: In England, teams are relegated because they finish in the bottom three in their league. Likewise teams move up a league if they finish in the Top 3 of the league below. It’s not because of money. With only one true professional football league in America that can’t happen. The closest thing we have here is baseball which has multiple tiers of professional leagues. 

I said crappy teams have to go to the minor leagues.  How was that wrong?  

I realize there is a difference between a crappy team and salary cap non-compliance, I was just using crappy English soccer teams as an example.

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

In hindsight the majority of Beane's moves so far except the Miller pay cut, were the easy decisions.  Except Douglas, who nearly everyone expected to return, Beane cut away the 7 largest cap hit player who has dead money below their cap hits including White, Harty, Hines, Morse, Bates, White and Poyer.  All 7 were on my potential cap casualties groups.    The only remaining guys in those groups are Gilliam, Martin and Hamlin.  None of which really generates much in the way of cap savings.  

The hard part is now as we still need about 30 to 40 million in cap savings to complete the roster and sign our draft picks.  Granted the majority can come from restructuring Josh's deal (23 million).  Another 16 million is possible through Diggs, but I'd rather see cap savings through extensions of key players like Dawkins, Oliver and T Johnson and some careful restructuring of Knox and Milano.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some changes to Diggs' deal as well.

Josh restructure most likely handles any free agents we sign before the draft unless we get involved in the Chris Jones sweepstakes.  He’s the only big ticket free agent I could see Beane going after.  Tre’s $10m cap space most likely handles the $3m it will take to sign the draft picks plus any post draft free agents.  

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

People need to understand that Von needed to have some motive to agree to this.  This incentive allows him to earn more than his previous contract and also gives the Bills a whole lot of CAP savings this year.  If he gets all those sacks, we're on the hook next year and, frankly, Von is likely still on the team.

As others have pointed out, the incentive may have been that the Bills told him they would cut him, and his agent told him that his options in free agency would be limited, given the uncertainty about his recovery.  

36 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I imagine we see Josh restructuring today, which gets us under the cap with some room to spare. Should be in good shape for the 11th. 

Allen needs to insist that Beane uses a portion of money saved from Allen restructuring on bringing in a top WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Sweats said:

The question that Miami has to consider, is Tua worth a mid to high contract? 

I don't know what Miami is thinking, but I don't think of it that way.   Yes, for any other position, the question is whether the player is worth the money.  That is, if you're talking about a linebacker, is he the best LB in the league, and what does the best LB cost?  Or is he the 10th best, and what's 10th best worth?  If he's depth and he's the 50th best LB, what is that worth.  

But for QB, I think the question is different.  I think to a great extent, if you don't have a true franchise QB, you don't have anything.   That is, I'm not interested in paying 10th best money to the 10th best QB, because the 10th best QB isn't a franchise QB.   If I have the 10th best QB, I'm still looking for my QB.   It's the position Washington was in and Minnesota now is in with Cousins.   

So, from my point of view, Miami's question is whether they believe Tua is their franchise QB.   If he is, then sign him up at whatever cost.   If he isn't, signing him to a mid- to high- contract is a mistake, because they'll be stuck with that contract when they decide to move on from him in a year or two or three.  

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Allen needs to insist that Beane uses a portion of money saved from Allen restructuring on bringing in a top WR.  

"Insist" may be too strong a word, but I would be amazed if Beane and McDermott haven't talked about WR with Allen.  They certainly would like his input about what kind of receiver Allen sees as helping.  And to some extent I'm sure Allen is saying to them, "Just figure out who we need to win."   It's not like Allen's priority is a 5000-yard season or 50 TD passes.  He wants to win the Super Bowl, and if they can win the Super Bowl running 35 QB sneaks a game, Allen will sign up for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know what Miami is thinking, but I don't think of it that way.   Yes, for any other position, the question is whether the player is worth the money.  That is, if you're talking about a linebacker, is he the best LB in the league, and what does the best LB cost?  Or is he the 10th best, and what's 10th best worth?  If he's depth and he's the 50th best LB, what is that worth.  

But for QB, I think the question is different.  I think to a great extent, if you don't have a true franchise QB, you don't have anything.   That is, I'm not interested in paying 10th best money to the 10th best QB, because the 10th best QB isn't a franchise QB.   If I have the 10th best QB, I'm still looking for my QB.   It's the position Washington was in and Minnesota now is in with Cousins.   

So, from my point of view, Miami's question is whether they believe Tua is their franchise QB.   If he is, then sign him up at whatever cost.   If he isn't, signing him to a mid- to high- contract is a mistake, because they'll be stuck with that contract when they decide to move on from him in a year or two or three.  

I also think I might be more willing to sign Tua long term if I was Miami, but in the NFC.

The level of QB play is far inferior and just have to avoid going to Lambeau during the Playoffs so your warm weather QB doesn’t freeze. 

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I also think I might be more willing to sign Tua long term if I was Miami, but in the NFC.

The level of QB play is far inferior and just have to avoid going to Lambeau during the Playoffs so your warm weather QB doesn’t freeze. 

That's a good point.  I said a few days ago that so far as I'm concerned, Tua and Brock Purdy are the same guys.   Smart guys who can run your offense, accurate throwers on the short and mid-range balls, QBs who can eat up opponents so long as the offense is running on schedule:  Drop, one read, or two, and throw.    The problem with them is that when you need your QB to make a play, rather than just run the offense, the six or ten plays when you're off schedule and you need help, Tua and Purdy are not your guy.  Those guys, as you say, are all in the AFC.   Interestingly, even Rodgers, if he has anything left, is in the AFC.  NFC has Dak, who makes those plays but not consistently enough, and I don't know who else. 

The only problem with this NFC theory is that the chances are that within a couple of seasons, some team or teams in the NFC will have gotten their guy in the draft, and once there are two or three in the NFC, Purdy no longer will look like a franchise guy, because he isn't going to be making the plays.  So, even if I were in the NFC, I'm not sure I'd put big and long money into Tua.  

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I imagine we see Josh restructuring today, which gets us under the cap with some room to spare. Should be in good shape for the 11th. 

If Beane buys Josh a new pair of pants, does that count against the Cap?  Asking for a friend in Paris.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Allen Extension

Dawkins Extension

Taron Extension

Diggs Rework 😂

Please?     Then we can go after Chris Jones 

I'm seeing a lot of people mention Chris Jones and that he should be a target for the Bills. I'm not sold that he's worth the enormous contract he's going to get.

The biggest positive is that he wouldn't be on the Chiefs, but I'd rather be a spender on the offense. 

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm seeing a lot of people mention Chris Jones and that he should be a target for the Bills. I'm not sold that he's worth the enormous contract he's going to get.

The biggest positive is that he wouldn't be on the Chiefs, but I'd rather be a spender on the offense. 

Chris Jones is the main reason KC won the SB this year.   

If there is a single player in the league right now that we should consider investing huge $ in, it's him. 

I don't actually expect him to reach Monday unsigned. 

take him out of their defense, they become an above average unit 

He is an absolute dominant monster at key moments in games.

He can be moved all over the DL.  

You can draft young talent on offense.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Chris Jones is the main reason KC won the SB this year.   

If there is a single player in the league right now that we should consider investing huge $ in, it's him. 

I don't actually expect him to reach Monday unsigned. 

take him out of their defense, they become an above average unit 

He is an absolute dominant monster at key moments in games.

You can draft young talent on offense.

Really appreciate the response, and the way you laid it out makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's 29.   I'd expect he will sign for 5 years around 150 million.   

Figure he's an All-Pro for 3 more seasons.  

That'd be a lot for the Bills to spend considering the Von Contract, but Chris Jones, Oliver, Rousseau and a healthy Von (just trying to be optimistic here) would be a sight to see.