Multiple people shot at KC parade.

fasteddie

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Gun don’t know if they are illegal or not. They are inanimate. 

So why ban guns if, as you just posted... Guns are not the problem?!?!?! 🤣

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m a little bit late to the party here do we know if the weapons used were assault weapons?

Any gun used to assault is by definition an assault weapon. If you're referring to how big, black, and shiny the gun then that's not the definition of an assault rifle.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, boyst said:

Take the number of death by gun. Remove suicide. The rate drops significantly. Take the amount of crime commited with legally obtained guns. You can break it down even further but it's an ugly wormhole to show all of the problems with the simple "gun culture" argument. 

81% of murders in the US involve a firearm.   55% of suicides in the US involve a firearm.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

Of course it's a not a black & white issue.   But easy access to guns = more mass shootings and more murders.

BTW, it's the anniversary of the Stoneman Douglas HS shooting in Parkland, FL where my daughter went to HS, and lost friends who were killed. She called me from college, very upset to see what happened today in KC. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice response. Classy 

Right. Like your response to my post, which had NOTHING TO DO with the KC incident and where you try to put words in my mouth, was the epitome of a classy post. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

So why ban guns if, as you just posted... Guns are not the problem?!?!?! 🤣

Any gun used to assault is by definition an assault weapon. If you're referring to how big, black, and shiny the gun then that's not the definition of an assault rifle.

More guns, more death. That’s the point you refuse to comprehend.

Here’s a peer reviewed study that backs up the correlation.

Hepburn, Lisa M., and David Hemenway, “Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature,” Aggression and Violent Behavior 9, no. 4 (2004): 417-440.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Right. Like your response to my post, which had NOTHING TO DO with the KC incident and where you try to put words in my mouth, was the epitome of a classy post. 

I’m simply asking people to settle down and at least respect the seriousness of the situation for let’s say 24 hours before you and others start debating the Second Amendment. Does that not sound reasonable? Feel free to respond with the F Bomb….again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

You can't fix crazy - just saw some old guy backed into a lady in a Wal-mart parking lot, got out to apologize, and the lady shot him in the face. Now facing murder charges. Deeper background checks and assault weapon bans may help but if the bad guys can't buy guns legally, they'll get them on the black market. Guns have been around for centuries but mass shootings have been on the rise for awhile. Why ?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That amendment was created back whenever people were carrying around muskets

I’m not interested in debating the 2nd Amendment. As I’ve said to another poster who took my words out of context hoping to further his own narrative, my reference relates my specific response to what someone said about what we accept about gun culture in America. The majority of us accept the 2nd Amendment while at the same time favoring sensible gun law legislation. Again, I cite Scalia’s opinion in Heller as what the majority of Americans favor as the polls have shown again and again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

More guns, more death. That’s the point you refuse to comprehend.

Here’s a peer reviewed study that backs up the correlation.

Hepburn, Lisa M., and David Hemenway, “Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature,” Aggression and Violent Behavior 9, no. 4 (2004): 417-440.

Take those numbers. Dig deeper. When you take death by firearms then remove suicide the number drops dramatically. Someone above claimed more die by guns than car accidents. Which, including suicide looks possible by all metrics. Remove suicide by gun you're cutting out over half of those killed by gun.  Then break it down to who owns guns legally and committed a homicide vs illegal firearms possession commiting homicides.

You can go even further. But, when you get to some of the basics of these metrics you'll find about 2% of all reported deaths by gun are from legally owned and not criminally involved, to put it mildly.

• Like (+1) 4

Almost 250 years since citizens took up arms against Britain in the Revolutionary war.  

Just over a year since Ukrainian citizens took up arms against a Russian invasion. 

About 5 months since Israeli citizens took up arms against Hamas terrrorists. 

About 91 years ago, Hitler began disarming the population, which quickly targeted the Jews.

Cars kill millions of people a year, shall we take those away or are they needed and serve a useful purpose?

Edited by Bockeye
  • Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m simply asking people to settle down and at least respect the seriousness of the situation for let’s say 24 hours before you and others start debating the Second Amendment. Does that not sound reasonable? Feel free to respond with the F Bomb….again. 

I never came close to debating the 2nd Amendment in my response to the poster about accepting gun culture in America. You misinterpreted that all on your own.

And if you’re really interested in all of us settling down, perhaps you could have just stated that in your initial response. But because you weren’t settled down when you read and misinterpreted my post, you chose to come out swinging with condescending crap about what I’ve determined about what happened in KC instead. 

Have a nice evening.

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m not interested in debating the 2nd Amendment. As I’ve said to another poster who took my words out of context hoping to further his own narrative, my reference relates my specific response to what someone said about what we accept about gun culture in America. The majority of us accept the 2nd Amendment while at the same time favoring sensible gun law legislation. Again, I cite Scalia’s opinion in Heller as what the majority of Americans favor as the polls have shown again and again. 

Dude! I have no agenda. Simmer down. 

6 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Guns have been around for centuries but mass shootings have been on the rise for awhile. Why ?

Part of the reason why, is that it's contagious.  The more mass shootings that happen and the more they're publicized, makes it more likely to put the idea in the head of the next maniac.    If  there was no incidence or news of mass shootings in the USA for the next 10 years, the chances of one happening in year 11 would be a lot less than it happening next week, while news is fresh.  Ex.  Columbine helped lead to many more school shootings. 

Also firearm technology has improved over the years, which is a factor in making the incidents more deadly

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

Majority of Americans accept their gun culture. Nothing more needs to be said.

This is not an argument to what you're saying. I just think the majority of Americans aren't going out and shooting people. There's perspective to be had. It's a hot topic I get it but we cant attack people on either side of the argument because of the small

Percentage of idiots that exist on both sides. (Not saying you are)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

They’re all there to celebrate the same thing. How can gun violence be involved? I just don’t get it 

people across all neighborhoods, demographics and disagreeing camps coming together in a crowd. 

$5 says it’s not a random fight but two guys with ugly history and not enough sense to skip acting on it in a crowd.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

really?  I find that kind of hard to believe.

It’s true, shocking, but true…

26 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

You can't fix crazy - just saw some old guy backed into a lady in a Wal-mart parking lot, got out to apologize, and the lady shot him in the face. Now facing murder charges. Deeper background checks and assault weapon bans may help but if the bad guys can't buy guns legally, they'll get them on the black market. Guns have been around for centuries but mass shootings have been on the rise for awhile. Why ?

Unchecked Mental illness and a disregard for the sanctity of human life. We can discuss that in another forum…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m a little bit late to the party here do we know if the weapons used were assault weapons?

Just read a story on this at a KC tv stations website, and it had no definitive info on the weapon used, but I highly doubt that a AR15 was used due to the simple fact that NINE children were shot and none of them died. I would guess that it was at the other end of the gun chain, like a .22 caliber. Just guessing though...

People used to sleep with their doors unblocked and buy guns through the mail without any background search.  Now we live in a society where they have to lock up hand lotion at CVS and babies get shot with stray bullets, sleeping in their cribs.  What "progress" we've made.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You know out of all of this, I want y'all to know I truly appreciate you all and wish nothing but happiness and safe keeping. Even if we all can get snarky and disagree on Bills topics we are all humans and valuable and deserving of love and respect. I appreciate you all. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Almost 250 years since citizens took up arms against Britain in the Revolutionary war.  

Just over a year since Ukrainian citizens took up arms against a Russian invasion. 

About 5 months since Israeli citizens took up arms against Hamas terrrorists. 

About 91 years ago, Hitler began disarming the population, which quickly targeted the Jews.

Cars kill millions of people a year, shall we take those away or are they needed and serve a useful purpose?

As someone who is not American, why is the only option on the table "take away ALL THE GUNS"?  Most people just want some sensible gun legislation that at least TRIES to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them while allowing those who abide by the law the right to carry them as per the 2nd amendment. 

There were gun laws before, most have been repealed.  I just don't get it.

Edited by Heels20X6
punctuation