Bills add Miami Hurricanes DB coach Jahmile Addae to coach secondary

Gregg

Just my opinion….  I think Butler was upset he didn’t get the DC spot so he walked away.  The Bills probably didn’t expect that and had to fill the secondary spot quickly.  Not sure how they found Addae but McD wouldn’t have picked him without a good reason.  I’m sure Butler will land on his feet (hopefully in the NFC).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This happened quietly, no? Butler has since 2018 overseen a defensive backs room that has seemingly overachieved each year (in collaboration with other excellent DB coaches on staff, of course). How did I miss this?

Yeah Butler was long seen as the heir apparent at DC.   I assume he wasn't going to stay around after he got passed over.  

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Does this increase or decrease the chances James Williams is a Bill next year?

I'd say decrease.

Williams was a massive underachiever.   Some of the stuff you get away with in college just won't fly in the pro's.   The least surprising thing I saw in the Senior Bowl was Williams face masking a RB to the ground.   Dumb as a box of rocks.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Logic said:

I like that the coaching staff is being infused with youth (Brady, Babich) and outside additions (Curry, Addae).

I won't pretend to really know enough about any of them to wax poetic about their chances of being good coaches or valuable additions to the staff, but any time our coaching staff wants to inject youthful energy and fresh opinions, I'm always in favor.

Same. I have no idea how it will go, but the team is definitely seeing its more senior members poached away. I would much rather see a college coach alternate between the pros and college before giving him a shot at a coordinator position.

1 hour ago, Bigvinny said:

John Butler is pissed

I suppose that could be aimed at McD but I assume that's in response to Matt Fairburn saying there was friction between Butler and Elam on the SHOUT podcast.    Seems more like a "I'm a great DB coach" post than a "why wasn't I made DC" post.

1 hour ago, Bigvinny said:

John Butler is pissed

Wow. Don’t usually see this public messaging from a coaches. He has every right to be pissed if he didn’t leave on his own accord after being passed up for the DC job and they just walked from him. He’s a good coach. 

Losing Butler is unfortunate, but had to happen when he did not get the top job.  McDermott has been grooming three different coaches for the DC role and chose Babich.  The others are bound to be disappointed.  I take his expressed butt hurt with a grain of salt considering, although I am sure Tyler Dunne will in touch very soon.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, wppete said:

With this move there is a Good chance Bills have a good look at Miami - S - Kareem Kinchens. Hope he makes it to us in the second round. 

He was an excellent player for the Canes but not sure he will test well or pass the medicals everywhere.   Seemed like he was held together with chewing gum and popsicle sticks last season.   Always getting hurt and having to come off the field for a few plays.   He's a gamer but not sure he's coming into the league ready for 10 years of punishment either.   More instinctive than physically gifted.

I wouldn't use a second round pick on him.    He may become Micah Hyde 2.0 someday because he has those elite instincts............but so may some 5th or 6th rounder in THIS Bills defense.

Very deep DB class.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahh, not so sure Butler is a good coach. 

He was DB coach at PSU, hired partly on the recommendation of Bill OBriens strength coach. 

Then promoted to DC because OB was too lazy to do a search. 

Failed miserably as a DC and would throw players under the bus. 

Then went to Texans with OB but fired as his unit performed poorly. 

Then hired by his high school buddy McDermott. 

Seems to me the guys floats by on his buddies coattails. 

And before someone chimes in that he did a great job coaching up Tre, Hyde, and Poyer—they were all on team for at least one season  before Butler started. 

The only DB to develop under Butler was Taron Johnson. 

Fair points in his previous stops. I don’t know a ton about that. All I know is when he was here, I never worried about any CB development with him, Frazier, and McD. Now we’re down to one of them (which may be the best of the three in this area), but I think it’s a loss. Oversaw Tre White in his all-pro season and his work with the likes of Levi Wallace, Dane Jackson, Christian Benford, Taron Johnson and some other less heralded corners makes for a pretty strong resume during his time here. 

11 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Same. I have no idea how it will go, but the team is definitely seeing its more senior members poached away. I would much rather see a college coach alternate between the pros and college before giving him a shot at a coordinator position.

Agreed.

Overall, it seems likely that the Bills are going to be undergoing a big youth movement this season. It already started to happen on offense the past couple seasons, and now it's about to happen on defense. There's no choice. The salary cap is going to FORCE them to go young.

As such, it only makes sense to infuse youth and fresh ideas into the coaching staff, as well. 

One could say "well, I'd rather have long time, veteran position coaches to teach all of these young guys", but that's not the approach the Bills' staff seems to be going with. They seem to be saying "we're gonna bring in young, energetic coaches to connect with and teach the young players we're bringing in".

I'm excited about what I perceive to be a turning of the page on defense. I think that with the departure of Frazier last year and the impending departures of Hyde, Poyer, and maybe Tre White, a pretty big "era" of Bills defense is about to end, and a new one is about to begin. The old ways weren't working when the Bills got to the playoffs, so bring in the new. Let's see what a new generation of coaches and players can do.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Just my opinion….  I think Butler was upset he didn’t get the DC spot so he walked away.  The Bills probably didn’t expect that and had to fill the secondary spot quickly.  Not sure how they found Addae but McD wouldn’t have picked him without a good reason.  I’m sure Butler will land on his feet (hopefully in the NFC).

From looking at his Social media posts, I agree. He got butthurt he didn't get promoted. But, in all fairness he had two all pro safeties and at a time an all pro cornerback to work with, so its not hard to put up great stats when you coach that.  I will be interested to hear from McDermott on what made him pick Addae.

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Overall, it seems likely that the Bills are going to be undergoing a big youth movement this season. It already started to happen on offense the past couple seasons, and now it's about to happen on defense. There's no choice. The salary cap is going to FORCE them to go young.

As such, it only makes sense to infuse youth and fresh ideas into the coaching staff, as well. 

One could say "well, I'd rather have long time, veteran position coaches to teach all of these young guys", but that's not the approach the Bills' staff seems to be going with. They seem to be saying "we're gonna bring in young, energetic coaches to connect with and teach the young players we're bringing in".

I'm excited about what I perceive to be a turning of the page on defense. I think that with the departure of Frazier last year and the impending departures of Hyde, Poyer, and maybe Tre White, a pretty big "era" of Bills defense is about to end, and a new one is about to begin. The old ways weren't working when the Bills got to the playoffs, so bring in the new. Let's see what a new generation of coaches and players can do.

I like it. Some cans gripe about "same old same old" but this is a change from the SOP at OBD.  As for as promoting from within on the OC and DC, both worked hard and deserve it.  We will see if they are allowed to put their twist on things but seeing who we hired at QB coach, it seems that Brady is being allowed to implement HIS system, not a version of Dabol's.  I like what I see concept wise from what Brady did at LSU and it would work in the NFL IF he is allowed to do it and we get him a couple more pieces to work with this offseason. It also throws a monkey in the wrench so to speak with DC's we normally go up against because the film on our Offense for the last 6 years can be tossed out the window which is a great thing.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

"Dear John, do tell more"

rop-business-of-sports-tyler-dunne-pl-fx

I don't think whining like this on Social media is going to do wonders for him in getting a new gig. I could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Agree that the team is about to get a whole lot younger on D. Maybe the vets and journeymen hold off late round rookies for a season, but our cap space in 2025 isn't an immediate money pot for profligate spending

I thoroughly expect that by 2025, Milano will be a grizzled veteran as one of the longest consecutive members of the defense and that makes me feel old.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Wow. Don’t usually see this public messaging from a coaches. He has every right to be pissed if he didn’t leave on his own accord after being passed up for the DC job and they just walked from him. He’s a good coach. 

McDermott and Butler basically grew up together in Philadelphia. I'm sure McD offered Butler a position on Babich's staff but Butler then felt like it was a demotion that he didn't deserve considering how well the secondary performed during his time here.

Probably some real emotions there considering the background/context.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Agree that the team is about to get a whole lot younger on D. Maybe the vets and journeymen hold off late round rookies for a season, but our cap space in 2025 isn't an immediate money pot for profligate spending

I thoroughly expect that by 2025, Milano will be a grizzled veteran as one of the longest consecutive members of the defense and that makes me feel old.

Est Cap space right now is just over 25 mill in 2025 I believe, so we can move some extensions forward to help with this years cap. Its something like 117 mill in 2026, but with only maybe half a team under contract

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Est Cap space right now is just over 25 mill in 2025 I believe, so we can move some extensions forward to help with this years cap. Its something like 117 mill in 2026, but with only maybe half a team under contract

My worry on 2025 is that three no-brainer moves (in my mind) this offseason will be extensions of Dawkins, Taron Johnson and Douglas. They will probably be backloaded. That's going to start digging into 2025 already. Some of our expected big ticket departures (Von, Knox) will have good sized dead money chunks so I don't think the Bills will be heavy bidders until '26

• Like (+1) 1

My take is that the Bills had no choice but to promote Babich, or they would have lost him to one of the other teams that was interviewing him.  He also has an impressive track record with the LB's that suggests he's a rising star in the coaching ranks and was worthy of the promotion.  That left them in a bad spot with Butler, who was also worthy/deserving of the promotion.  Rather than face the indignity of working for a guy who got the promotion that he wanted/felt he deserved, Butler elected to move on and the Bills had to replace him and hired Addae.  I admit to knowing nothing about Addae other than what I've read in this thread, but obviously, I hope he succeeds.  As others have said, Butler will land on his feet and I wish him success - in the NFC.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Peter said:

As a Miami Hurricane season ticket holder, I would love to see Kam Kitchens in a Bills uniform. He has great instincts. I am going to say a name that he reminds me of when he was in college. I am not saying he will be as good as the person I am about to name, but I do remember saying back when that other player played for the Hurricanes how he had a knack for the football.

Hint: The former player also was a former coach for the Bills.

Name:

Ed Reed

According to the Miami Herald, 247sports ranked Addae as the number 2 recruiter. 

Herald Article on Addae

I wouldn't say Ed Reed, I love Kam, but Ed was Ed, the guy. Kam is good, I'd probably put him closer to Jairus Byrd, will be feast or famine but will always be around the ball.

Addae was not, his best pull was Damari Brown last year, this the best DB was a Mario kid not Addae (I believe) in Zaquan Patterson. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say decrease.

Williams was a massive underachiever.   Some of the stuff you get away with in college just won't fly in the pro's.   The least surprising thing I saw in the Senior Bowl was Williams face masking a RB to the ground.   Dumb as a box of rocks.

Add in he's transitioning to LB too

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say decrease.

I haven’t watched a ton of him, but he seems like a physical freak athlete. I could see him testing well at the combine and his stock rising as a chess piece for some team. 

I wonder if McD and co are going to shy away from the physical freaks with poor technique after Elam.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.