The 1970's

10 hours ago, muppy said:

I remember being legal to drink alcohol at age 18 in 1976 that was a benchmark.

You remember at that time, licenses were just ink jet printed on thick paper (not even as stout as business cards…LOL), and not laminated.

Sssssoooo, clever, thirsty young rebels could very carefully use a pencil eraser to change the DOB on your license, and wallah, no waiting til age 18!

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

You remember at that time, licenses were just ink jet printed on thick paper (not even as stout as business cards…LOL), and not laminated.

Sssssoooo, clever, thirsty young rebels could very carefully use a pencil eraser to change the DOB on your license, and wallah, no waiting til age 18!

Quite a few people born in 1956 found that a pin could alter the block lettering 6 into a 5, at least on NY state driver licenses. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND who can forget the ubiquitous Sabres Sabrejak in BFLo!

m_635d61391741be1b8b290e98.jpeg

https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintage-70s-Large-NHL-Hockey-Buffalo-Sabres-Sabrejak-Satin-Bomber-Button-Jacket-635d608cb3df3c3b2a7135fe

And Jim Schoenfeld's record album!

https://www.amazon.com/Schony-Jim-Schoenfeld/dp/B00411CRXM

😆

AND Josh is "Hollywood?"

ShoutOut: @Mike in Horseheads 😉

On the album he had a beautiful smile. One time the local sports reporter wanted to interview him as he was coming off the ice at practice. He said

'wait a minute, I have to put my teeth in." He maybe had only 4-5 left. That was before helmets or face shields.

Remember the game against Boston in his rookie season (71?) when he fought  Orr. Vandais and Cashman  in the same game and won all 3! Then you had to get in 3 fights in a game to get ejected. The one with Cashman, they broke through the Zamboni entrance and were fighting in the tunnel under the stands!

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 4

A lot of boys had a crush on Marcia at that time. Same goes for Christina Applegate during her MWC days. Probably can add Leah Remini during her KOQ days as well. Marcia was a little before my time, but I definitely had a crush on Christina. 

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

You didn't have to get a Sherriffs ID Card when you turned 18? I still have mine from '78

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m a huge record collector and one thing I look for is oddball albums, such as those by sports figures.  I’ve been looking for Schoeny vinyl, so far I’m still looking.  Recently I acquire Shaquille ONeil - I’m so Awesome lol

That's vinyl on Amazon.  Acceptable $19. Good condition/collectible $33.

3 hours ago, wnyguy said:

You didn't have to get a Sherriffs ID Card when you turned 18? I still have mine from '78

The Sheriff's Cards were laminated with a nice color picture in 1975. When I turned 18, went downtown (no suburban auto bureaus then) to register to vote at the Board Elections, to the jail to get my sheriff's card, and to the selective Service to register and get a draft card.

Friend who was 3 months older got one. When I went in March '75 , they told me they were going to change it to registering to twice a year and then they changed it to once a year an a few months later abolished Selective Service, Brought registering at 18 back years later.

To get your Sheriff's Card you went to the lobby of the county jail downtown.  Turn one way and ir was the visitor's waiting  room to see your relative inside. Turn the other way and it was to get photographed for the card. I heard of peoplee going to bars down south and they thought you were a cop or an employee of the Department. They said they were tretated nice in those bars.😀

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, muppy said:

I remember being legal to drink alcohol at age 18 in 1976 that was a benchmark.

I remember being the coat check girl at a Genesee county bar called "The Primitive Scene" and last call was "suffragette City" David Bowie

wamm bam thank u Ma'am 🙂

I met Gary Lewis from the Playboys at that place.  He totally hit on me like I was some cheap hussy I was aloof and thought what a DORK lol

The Rich stadium summer concerts were legend. I attended almost all of those.

Going to my first Bills game which was the first time MNF played in Rich stadium with my mother. (1973)

Legal drinking age was 18 and even if you were obviously smashed while driving, cops usually didn't give out DWIs. 

Saw the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium July 4th, 1978. Journey, the Atlanta Rhythm Section and April Wine opened. 

7 hours ago, teef said:

i bet everyone in this tread is threatened by my youth.  

Our wisdom would not allow that.  😋

I never had a fake ID, we just went places where people didn’t ask. Most of my friends were a year or even two older, so I just mixed in with them and I was good in a lot of bars when I was about 16. Yes, that may explain some things. 

Speaking of fake ID’s, a little PSA here: My son bought one for $25 when he was a freshman in college. It’s no joke these days, he was arrested for identity theft outside the store. I’m not sure what all the details are from a legal standpoint, but it was NOT a little thing. 

EDIT: But the paper licenses were a joke. Anybody roughly like you is such a silly thought now. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

Legal drinking age was 18 and even if you were obviously smashed while driving, cops usually didn't give out DWIs. 

Saw the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium July 4th, 1978. Journey, the Atlanta Rhythm Section and April Wine opened. 

I turned 18 in High School back then. I had to wait a year to start Kindergarten because of when my birthday fell. I could leave school on a Friday and head to the bar. Not that big of a deal because there was this dive bar in my area that would serve me when I was 17.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I turned 18 in High School back then. I had to wait a year to start Kindergarten because of when my birthday fell. I could leave school on a Friday and head to the bar. Not that big of a deal because there was this dive bar in my area that would serve me when I was 17.

Hey, as long as that wasn’t Jack Daniels in your thermos, I think you’re good. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

It just occurred to me, you could sneak out during your lunch period on a Tuesday, as well. 

Be honest…….

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/8/2024 at 7:21 AM, teef said:

i bet everyone in this tread is threatened by my youth.  

hey not me. I'm not threatened at all. I need  strong young whippersnapper to do my lawn and climb ladders.

and if you play your cards REALLY right I'll let you apply to be my boy toy

🤭

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Our wisdom would not allow that.  😋

I never had a fake ID, we just went places where people didn’t ask. Most of my friends were a year or even two older, so I just mixed in with them and I was good in a lot of bars when I was about 16. Yes, that may explain some things. 

Speaking of fake ID’s, a little PSA here: My son bought one for $25 when he was a freshman in college. It’s no joke these days, he was arrested for identity theft outside the store. I’m not sure what all the details are from a legal standpoint, but it was NOT a little thing. 

EDIT: But the paper licenses were a joke. Anybody roughly like you is such a silly thought now. 

Bars in Utica I went to in the 70s before I was 18, Rascals, the Rockaway Tavern,  Johnny's Hideout, never checked for ID. A lot of the people there were  underage. 

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals etc ...

Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Outlaws

Saturday Night Live - Aykroyd, Belushi, Murray, Radner, Chase etc ...

High School smoking lounges for students

Atari

The Exorcist, The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars

Thai stick, Hash

Michelob, Stroh's, Lowenbrau

• Thank you (+1) 1