Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

On 2/3/2024 at 6:43 PM, Einstein said:

A couple of these quotes have been sprinkled in various threads, but this probably deserves it’s own thread since the media will run with these.

I don’t know if he’s doing it on purpose, or if he doesn’t realize how it comes off, but his cryptic comments definitely stir things up.

This is a pretty stupid thread if you want to be taken seriously as a poster.  

Diggs has said literally nothing cryptic or controversial.  Why on earth do you think it deserves its own thread to talk about nothing?  He even literally said there was no news at all in this same interview.  DIggs also said he is gretting really tired of these same stupid questions he has already answered getting asked again, just like posters here recycling the same stupid non-story drama for no reason.  

Its early in the offseason, but this is already the worst thread of the offseason so far given there is literally no plausible information of any kind remotely suggesting he wants to be traded or that the Bills would ever consider trading him.

There is a big difference of starting a thread about "could we trade Diggs" and speculate on whether it would work or not, what it could be, etc and starting a thread forcing a false negative narrative around Diggs that just isn't there like you people get trying to do over and over.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Absolutely, you don’t think there would be arguments over whether his statement was genuine and/or true or not? 

Not really … because the story is the comments … I don’t think positive comments are as newsworthy 

Edited by Aussie Joe

53 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

“Are you going to be part of the Buffalo Bills next year ?”

“ I don’t know …”

How hard is it to say “yes ,,, and I’m looking forward to it “…

Really? So that's all he said then? He just said "I don't know" and walked away?

No, that's not what happened. You're removing the full quote and taking things out of context to fit a narrative. Let's put the whole quote out there, shall we?

"I don't know - like, I feel like, as far as with the money and all that type of stuff - I can't control none of that, you know what i'm saying? I kind of put my hat on, you know what i'm saying? Like I said, it's a long offseason in front of me. As far as what the future holds - I don't have any surprises for you right now, but for me, i'm still going to be me regardless"

He's quite literally just saying "that's not up to me". Which is the truth! He wasn't asked "do you want to be a Bill next season?". He was asked if he will be. And he answered with "that's not my call". He said "I don't have any surprises for you right now". Which I read as him saying, there's nothing changed as far as he's aware.

He answered the question and said that's not his decision. Yet everyone wants to take that as him saying he doesn't want to be here. He simply answered with "that's Beane's decision". Perhaps with some humility, understanding how the season ended for him, where the team is at financially, and how much money he makes. 

And let's say he did just say "I don't know" and that was that. Absolutely not what happened, but let's go with it as if it did. That could have been him saying "I don't know if they'll keep me". Even then, it would be a jump to take that as "he doesn't want to be here".

So much of the fervor of Diggs involves what he DIDN'T say. What fans feel he should have said. What naysayers want to believe he said by putting words in his mouth. Not everyone thinks and elaborates the same way. Diggs isn't the greatest with communicating, nor does he even really seem to care to be. Read what's said and react to what's said, verbatim. 

And this? This is just someone literally just saying "Those kind of decisions aren't up to me, I just put my hat on and go to work, and that's what i'm going to do". Absolutely NOTHING to see here, unless you're someone with an axe to grind.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, yes but then what's the point?

If Diggs' relationship with the team has totally broken down, or if some team offers a great trade package, or some combination of the two.

I'm not advocating to trade Diggs. Financially and from a roster perspective it makes more sense to keep him and if anything unload him next offseason. I'm just saying the people who are crowing that it's "impossible" to get rid of Diggs are wrong. Doing it pre-6/1 is likely impossible unless they are just giving up on the 2024 season. Doing it post-6/1 is certainly feasible though and there would be benefits as soon as next year.

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Really? So that's all he said then? He just said "I don't know" and walked away?

No, that's not what happened. You're removing the full quote and taking things out of context to fit a narrative. Let's put the whole quote out there, shall we?

"I don't know - like, I feel like, as far as with the money and all that type of stuff - I can't control none of that, you know what i'm saying? I kind of put my hat on, you know what i'm saying? Like I said, it's a long offseason in front of me. As far as what the future holds - I don't have any surprises for you right now, but for me, i'm still going to be me regardless"

He's quite literally just saying "that's not up to me". Which is the truth! He wasn't asked "do you want to be a Bill next season?". He was asked if he will be. And he answered with "that's not my call". He said "I don't have any surprises for you right now". Which I read as him saying, there's nothing changed as far as he's aware.

He answered the question and said that's not his decision. Yet everyone wants to take that as him saying he doesn't want to be here. He simply answered with that's Beane's decision. Perhaps with some humility, understanding how the season ended for him, where the team is at financially, and how much money he makes. 

So much of the fervor of Diggs involves what he DIDN'T say. What fans feel he should have said. What naysayers want to believe he said by putting words in his mouth. Not everyone thinks and elaborates the same way. Diggs isn't the greatest with communicating, nor does he even really seem to care to be. Read what's said and react to what's said, verbatim. 

And this? This is just someone literally just saying "Those kind of decisions aren't up to me, I just put my hat on and go to work, and that's what i'm going to do". Absolutely nothing to see here, unless you're someone with an axe to grind.

Why the need to have such serious musings at the Pro Bowl?

I mean … we all know that he isn’t the decision maker at the team and it’s not his call and he can’t see the future …. If he just says “yes and I’m looking forward to it” the  media has nothing to blow out of proportion …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why the need to have such serious musings at the Pro Bowl?

I mean … we all know that he isn’t decision maker at the team and it’s not his call and he can’t see the future …. If he says “yes and I’m looking forward to it” the  media has nothing to blow out of proportion …

Because he doesn't make that call.

Simple as that. He doesn't decide whether he's a Bill or not. Even if he said "I want out" - that's not up to him. Almost no one can definitively say they're safe from being cut or traded. He answered a question honestly. I'm sorry that he didn't answer it the way you wanted him to. But that doesn't mean the answer means anything different or more than what it very clearly is.

Just a player saying "those decisions aren't up to me, i'm just going to keep going about things and working the way that I do and not worry about things beyond my control". That's it. And it's a very standard Football answer said by many players. Not some crazy, out there answer.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If Diggs' relationship with the team has totally broken down, or if some team offers a great trade package, or some combination of the two.

I'm not advocating to trade Diggs. Financially and from a roster perspective it makes more sense to keep him and if anything unload him next offseason. I'm just saying the people who are crowing that it's "impossible" to get rid of Diggs are wrong. Doing it pre-6/1 is likely impossible unless they are just giving up on the 2024 season. Doing it post-6/1 is certainly feasible though and there would be benefits as soon as next year.

Ok. It's not "impossible". 

Just "cause for termination" level stupid for some GM.

Do you think the Vikings will trade us Justin Jefferson to get Diggs back? 

Seriously how hard is it to wait one year to actually see a return or some gain? We are almost certainly not seeing Diggs level production out of a rookie

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because he doesn't make that call!

Simple as that. He doesn't decide whether he's a Bill or not. Even if he said "I want out" - that's not up to him. Almost no one can definitively say they're safe from being cut or traded. He answered a question honestly. I'm sorry that he didn't answer it the way you wanted him to. But that doesn't mean the answer means anything different or more than what it very clearly is.

Hey … you don’t need to apologise on his behalf  ….

I just think if he provided a different  answer to this question  then we aren’t talking about it …at the end of the day if he wants to keep courting controversy with comments like this ( it’s not the first time) then good luck to him … Im not going to lose any sleep about it… 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

“Are you going to be part of the Buffalo Bills next year ?”

“ I don’t know …”

How hard is it to say “yes ,,, and I’m looking forward to it “…

Yeah, not hard at all.

And Diggs is a smart young man.

He knows what he is doing (even if some fans aren’t smart enough to see it).

The only question is WHY is he doing it? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hey … you don’t need to apologise on his behalf  ….

I just think if he provided a different  answer to this question  then we aren’t talking about it …at the end of the day if he wants to keep courting controversy with comments like this ( it’s not the first time) then good luck to him … Im not going to lose any sleep about it… 

No one should be talking about it. He gave a standard, nothing, Belichick level football answer that's said by many players every single year. 

Only people who want to manufacture it into a big deal because they have an axe to grind or are simply bored are talking about it.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, not hard at all.

I can't help but lose respect for posters who start threads and post snippets of an interview to skew the narrative rather than POST THE WHOLE INTERVIEW which actually CLEARLY illustrates a different tone and narrative than what this thread is forcibly trying to create.  

Honestly your thread just feels like a total LAMP thread forcing a narrative that isn't there.  Gotta be the worst thread of the offseason so far that is now putting FALSE impressions in other posters heads who are going to carry this FALSE sense of IMAGINARY controversy all off season and derail other threads over and over again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, not hard at all.

Why is he giving a standard football answer? Do you know how many players every year say "I don't worry about things beyond my control, I just go to work"? Which is EXACTLY what he said.

39 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"I don't know - like, I feel like, as far as with the money and all that type of stuff….”

Ask Josh Allen that same question and no version of “I don’t know” or money stuff comes out of his mouth.

Zero. Zip. Nada

It would simply be “Absolutely and I can’t wait”, or some version of that.

And no it wasn’t a standard, nothing, Belichick type answer. Do you know what Belichick said just 3 days before he was fired? He said he plans to be the coach the next year. Because THAT is the type of answer you’re supposed to give. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Just "cause for termination" level stupid for some GM.

Then we might as well say failing to even to attempt to upgrade the WR2 spot was "cause for termination level stupid." Failing to sign Hopkins, etc.

If the team can get a good trade package back and they are sick of Diggs' antics I wouldn't blame Beane if he decided to move on. But like I said I would personally prefer to keep him and hope he can get back to the player he was before 2023.

21 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

We are almost certainly not seeing Diggs level production out of a rookie

That depends. Are you talking about the Diggs from before 2023? Then no, almost certainly not. The Diggs we saw down the stretch? That isn't an unrealistic expectation for a 1st round rookie. Shakir out produced Diggs over the last 10 games... In fact Shakir's yards per target more than doubled Diggs'. If Shakir can do that, why not a much better prospect?

We just have to hope it was an injury. But that's all it is, a hope. Diggs participated in the Pro Bowl and there's been no reports that he got any kind of surgery or medical treatment after the season ended. His lasting impression of the season was a dropped catch in a critical moment that had nothing to do with any perceived injury.

So for me I'm already assuming we need a new #1 WR next year. I genuinely advocate for assuming the worst case scenario in these discussions, make roster decisions accordingly, and then if you get the best case scenario you're that much better off. The reason I want to keep Diggs is that I know he can be a good #2 even if it's just the player we got down the stretch. Still I would understand the decision to move on if it makes sense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Diggs is trying to set his market.  Can’t blame him but it doesn’t help the team that is paying his overblown salary. In my book seeeeee Ya.  Too old and not performing to have this crap attitude last year plus.     They lost several games trying to appease his ego and it put us behind.    

time to go. 

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ask Josh Allen that same question and no version of “I don’t know” or money stuff comes out of his mouth.

Zero. Zip. Nada

It would simply be “Absolutely and I can’t wait”, or some version of that.

And no it wasn’t a standard, nothing, Belichick type answer. Do you know what Belichick said just 3 days before he was fired? He said he plans to be the coach the next year. Because THAT is the type of answer you’re supposed to give. 

It absolutely is. Like I said, do you have any idea how many players say on a yearly basis "I just go to work and don't worry about things beyond my control"?

The answer you want to hear is better served if the question was "do you WANT to be a Buffalo Bill next season?". That's not the question that was asked and the answer he gave does not imply he doesn't want to be here. Unless you put on a tinfoil hat.

You're even putting words in Josh's mouth. We wouldn't know what he'd say if he were asked "will you be a Bill next season?" - because no one would have a reason to ever ask him that, like they do Diggs after that drop. I could easily see Josh saying "well that's not really up to me" as well. It's a STANDARD answer.

All you're doing with this post is fanning the flames of people who want him gone. And it's a poor excuse of a reason to.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

It absolutely is. Like I said, do you have any idea how many players say on a yearly basis "I just go to work and don't worry about things beyond my control"?

The answer you want to hear is better served if the question was "do you WANT to be a Buffalo Bill next season?". That's not the question that was asked and the answer he gave does not imply he doesn't want to be here. Unless you put on a tinfoil hat.

@Einsteinis just looking for attention.  He cherry picked a couple lines to make a fake controversy that isn't there and now he is trying to spin his reasons for it with answers dumber than this thread.  

Its threads like this that really bring down the quality of the board.  Its one thing to start a thread and discuss the possibility of a trade and a totally other pile of garbage to manipulate a false narrative to stir the pot for attention.  

Literally the worst thread of 2024 because its going to falsely skew others opinions who didn't take the time to listen to the WHOLE interview and just took this hot garbage thread at face value.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're even putting words in Josh's mouth. We wouldn't know what he'd say if he were asked "will you be a Bill next season?" - because no one would have a reason to ever ask him that, like they do Diggs after that drop. I could easily see Josh saying "well that's not really up to me" as well. It's a STANDARD answer.

All you're doing with this post is fanning the flames of people who want him gone. And it's a poor excuse of a reason to.

Who says that? Honestly?

Here’s Mike Evans, an actual pending free agent WR:

"I've been on record saying how much I love this place and how much I want to be here," Evans said on Sunday.

Wow. Why doesn’t he say, “I don’t know what the future holds?” Why doesn’t he say, “that’s not up to me, it’s up to the Bucs, I just go to work.”

instead, Evans says:

“I would love to be back, I love Tampa Bay,” he said. “Been here my whole career. The city has been great to me, the franchise has been unbelievable to me and my family. I love this place. So, we’ll see.”

It’s so craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy that Diggs’ comments are a story. Lol

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1