Jim Harbaugh getting 80M over 5 years from Chargers

Gregg

17 hours ago, balln said:

Correct. Can’t stand him. He’s a sociopath. And he’s getting weirder and weirder.

The recent Michigan success - so what ? He can out recruit and get alumni to shell out money . I know I know. His resume is amazing. 

You may not follow college football that closely, but Michigan's recruiting was somewhere in the range of 14th-16th compared to the teams at the top like Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State and Michigan lags behind those programs in NIL money.  For that team to win the national championship (beating Ohio State and Alabama along the way) speaks volumes about Harbaugh's ability to develop players and coach a team.  And while the sign-stealing scandal may reflect poor sportsmanship, it certainly offered Michigan no competitive advantage against Purdue and Ohio State (who already had Michigan's signs and shared them with each other), and Penn State, Alabama, and Washington, all of whom Michigan played and beat long after the scandal hit the media.  

Throw in Harbaugh's previous success at U of San Diego, Stanford, and in the NFL with the 49ers, it adds to the fact that the guy is a great football coach.

I completely agree with you that he's an odd duck and says some pretty crazy things in press conferences.

The influence he can have on a team for millions less than a 2nd tier WR#1, with no salary cap implications, makes the deal a bargain.  The Chargers will be a contender very soon, which, as stated above, helps the Bills in that it makes the Chiefs' season more difficult, but hurts the Bills in that there will be another very good AFC team they'll have to deal with.

19 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

People in Hollywood, sports, music and politicians could all give 1 million dollars and put a dent into our national US debt

You know the people that pay them are the folks with the real money, right?

19 hours ago, balln said:

He wants to leave the ncaa investigations and punishments bc he’s a cheater

I always laugh when people use "cheating", like it's some derogatory term, especially in college sports and baseball where it's so interwoven with the fabric of the sport that it's actually part of the game.

20 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

People in Hollywood, sports, music and politicians could all give 1 million dollars and put a dent into our national US debt

He will be paying 37% Federal Tax and 12% California State - so he will be paying around $7 million per year in income taxes

Our National Debt is around $34 Trillion or equal to $1 million for EACH man, woman, and child - so $1 million from each of the categories you suggest is barely a drop in the bucket

• Agree 1

Harbaugh hasn't coached a game for LA yet and he talked about winning multiple championships in his presser.  If he even wins 1 championship before Buffalo I will have a meltdown, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

Will be worth every penny when they win the Super Bowl before we do. If we were serious about winning McDermott would have been gone and Harbaugh would have been hired. Now we will be lucky to lose in the divisional round and a wildcard exit is more likely

Just now, uticaclub said:

Will be worth every penny when they win the Super Bowl before we do. If we were serious about winning McDermott would have been gone and Harbaugh would have been hired. Now we will be lucky to lose in the divisional round and a wildcard exit is more likely

At least KC won't be an automatic shoo-in to win the division every year. But the Chargers becoming really good makes the AFC harder overall which blows for the Bills.

While I understand that Harbaugh is a very solid head coach, he doesn't have access to different pool of players than anyone else, he doesn't have a different salary cap to work with.  He's not recruiting 5 star guys and everyone else is recruiting 3 & 4 star players. 

If he can get Herbert to play better and be more of a clutch performer, that will turn into some extra W's on the field. That will be the big difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:49 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I think we are going to need a coaches salary cap. This is getting ridiculous 

Coach is 2nd in important behind QB. IMO the top tier coaches should be paid even more. Harbaugh is a proven commodity and he’s going to turn Herbert into a star and get that defense going. An enemy of my enemy is a friend. 

• Agree 1

At the NFL level, it’s critical to have a HC who has credibility with the players, who the players believe knows what he’s doing, and can give them an edge.  Harbaugh instantly gives the Chargers that, after three years of Staley. It was also important for this franchise to make a splash hire in a market where they are an afterthought, at best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.