Bills Mafia Book Club!

TheyCallMeAndy

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Fellow sci-fi geek here:

Here is a few things you might really like:

Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky

Live Free or Die - John Ringo

Broken Angels / Woken Furies - Richard K Morgan

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson ( part of the infamous Cap'n Crunch chapter :lol: )

Also, if you're a big fan of Kurt, his son Mark Vonnegut wrote a fascinating book called The Eden Express about his experience with manic depression and schizophrenia. 

Thanks! The Eden Express and Live Free or Die are now on my reading list. The review mentioned Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian, the novel on which the Matt Damon movie was based). I didn't read The Martian but I loved the movie, so when a friend mentioned PHM and I saw that it was the same author, I decided to read it. What a fantastic book! His novel Randomize was good too. I also enjoyed the Colony Mars series and The Belt series by Gerald Kilby, and I'm currently about halfway through fast-paced Earthburst Saga by Craig Falconer.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I remember years ago there was a similar book thread on here and someone recommended a book. I read it, and it was horrendous. So I don’t trust any of you. 😁

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

believe it or not, I read this, and it wasn’t that good! 

Sounds like we're the ones who shouldn't trust your recommendations. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not a voracious reader. If forced to name a favorite author, I'd go with Tom Wolfe: Bonfire of the Vanities, The Right Stuff, and others.

I also tend to like anything by P. J. O'Rourke: National Lampoon, and a bunch of other magazines and books.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a pretty big reader, tend to jump around across genres and physical vs Kindle books.

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "My Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

On the Kindle, currently reading "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green. Just started it, but feels like I'll enjoy it. Recently finished "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, "Hail Mary Project" by Andy Weir, and "The Troop" by Nick Cutter.

Like I said...jump around across genres.

Edited by DD4Bills

44 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

I'm a pretty big reader, tend to jump around across genres and physical vs Kindle books.

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "Me Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

On the Kindle, currently reading "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green. Just started it, but feels like I'll enjoy it. Recently finished "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, "Hail Mary Project" by Andy Weir, and "The Troop" by Nick Cutter.

Does the Kindle make it easier to read with your eyes??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

The book I am currently reading with great interest, The Matter with Things, is very long and erudite, but written in a manner that is engaging. It is a sequel of sorts to an earlier work, The Master and His Emissary, but vaster in scope. The main idea is that the left and right hemispheres of the brain process data and interpret reality very differently. The author, Iain McGilchrist, suggests many of our problems derive from the reductionist tendencies of the left-brain.

The work of fiction I am reading just now is The Strudlhof Steps by Heimito von Doderer. It is a brilliant work filled with humor and wry observations. He's a genius for discovering unusual metaphors.

For Muppy, you might find Christian Wiman's My Bright Abyss of interest. I dunno, but that's the theological work I dip into when I am not reading one of the above.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Last physical books finished were Geddy Lee's "My Effin Life" (highest possible recommendation!) and Stephen King's "Fairy Tale" (also very good).

I’ve been looking at Fairytale for a while, seems like the feedback is all positive. 

8 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’ve been looking at Fairytale for a while, seems like the feedback is all positive. 

I enjoyed it very much. My only complaint (and it’s nitpicking for sure) is that King doesn’t quite have a great grasp of current teenagers and it sometimes felt like main character could have been a kid from the ‘50s or ‘60s with the way he talked and acted. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks! The Eden Express and Live Free or Die are now on my reading list. The review mentioned Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian, the novel on which the Matt Damon movie was based). I didn't read The Martian but I loved the movie, so when a friend mentioned PHM and I saw that it was the same author, I decided to read it. What a fantastic book! His novel Randomize was good too. I also enjoyed the Colony Mars series and The Belt series by Gerald Kilby, and I'm currently about halfway through fast-paced Earthburst Saga by Craig Falconer.

If you still haven't read The Martian, you really should. I agree they did a fine job with the film but the book really is.......out of this world (sorry, couldn't resist).

Also, when I suggested Richard K Morgan, I maybe should have suggested Altered Carbon instead. It might be more to your liking as it is more of a SF noir mystery than the other two I suggested, which lean more toward the military/scifi genre. Just a genuinely great writer no matter which you prefer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The book I am currently reading with great interest, The Matter with Things, is very long and erudite, but written in a manner that is engaging. It is a sequel of sorts to an earlier work, The Master and His Emissary, but vaster in scope. The main idea is that the left and right hemispheres of the brain process data and interpret reality very differently. The author, Iain McGilchrist, suggests many of our problems derive from the reductionist tendencies of the left-brain.

The work of fiction I am reading just now is The Strudlhof Steps by Heimito von Doderer. It is a brilliant work filled with humor and wry observations. He's a genius for discovering unusual metaphors.

For Muppy, you might find Christian Wiman's My Bright Abyss of interest. I dunno, but that's the theological work I dip into when I am not reading one of the above.

Umm, I don’t think I saw those on the book table at Costco. That’s where most of my books come from. And they come with free snacks on every other aisle!  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

If you still haven't read The Martian, you really should. I agree they did a fine job with the film but the book really is.......out of this world (sorry, couldn't resist).

Also, when I suggested Richard K Morgan, I maybe should have suggested Altered Carbon instead. It might be more to your liking as it is more of a SF noir mystery than the other two I suggested, which lean more toward the military/scifi genre. Just a genuinely great writer no matter which you prefer.

I’ve been planning on reading the Martian for a while, glad to hear it’s a good one! 

When it is released on Audible, I will download Neil Peart's last book, Silver Surfers. He had a passion for '60s classic muscle cars. He had a collection of silver 60s cars, with one black 63 Mustang mixed in. He would drive them up and down the California coast. This book is about the passion he had for these cars.

• Like (+1) 1