The WR#2 Market (Spotrac Breakdown and Comparison)

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Depth with reliable hands. I have to imagine he catches 1 of those Sherfield drops. 🤷‍♂️

Depending how cheap we can get him.

he might have.   not the one that became dislodged when he hit the ground.   unless he can run faster than sherfield, which i doubt.   

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I share the opinion that I have seen in many places on this board: that WR #2 is a major weakness going into the offseason. I am also part of the group that believes that the Bills should spend draft resources to address the problem for one reason: WR #2 gets stupid money in free agency. Stupid money.

But there is always a case to be made for best pick available. Having something in the pipeline in case we roll box cars in the draft, or we take a guy with high upside but we want to ease in. So, here is a quick list at notable receivers that Spotrac has considered notable for the free agent class. I have exluded known slot receivers (We have Shakir and he's doing just fine)

For comparisons sake, let's start with a known quality. Gabe Davis. I believe that Gabe Davis was a very solid #3/4 option, but was badly inconsistent as a #2. According to Spotrac, he is expected to make an average of $13.6 M per year. That would be pricey for the Bills in 2024 and we would want an upgrade.

So...here is the class

Most likely out of our price range

Mike Evans

OBJ

Tyler Boyd

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman Jr.

Calvin Ridley

I put these out here not because I think they are fits, but because this is what the top end of the market will be getting. Now, if any one of those is not snapped up on Day 1 you absolutely make a call, but he is a more likely list of what will be waiting around on Day 2

Curtis Samuel

Nelson Aghalor

Josh Reynolds

Randall Cobb

Darnell Mooney

So, any interest or are we all in on the draft?

No thanks to the ones in bold.  Every time I watched Evans this year he was dropping balls and such. Last thing this team needs is a one year, aging, inconsistent #@--rather have Davis back.

Higgins seems to be a media darling but had an off year. Injury riddled year, maybe, but no thanks.

Two in the draft and the best free agent available, a guy with a very high percentage catch rate--which of these has that?

Randall Cobb! Yikes on that.

31 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

No thanks to the ones in bold.  Every time I watched Evans this year he was dropping balls and such. Last thing this team needs is a one year, aging, inconsistent #@--rather have Davis back.

Higgins seems to be a media darling but had an off year. Injury riddled year, maybe, but no thanks.

Two in the draft and the best free agent available, a guy with a very high percentage catch rate--which of these has that?

Randall Cobb! Yikes on that.

It was more to illustrate the price range. 1st round WR plz

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'd take a shot on DJ Chark and draft a wr fourth round and after. Do folks realize we've spent two 1st's on pass catchers already?

Now if they move on from Diggs it's a different story. But with Kincaid and Shakir emerging, someone like Chark who is just an outside guy is missing from the offense. I'd rather get an interior lineman with some versatility at 28 than a wr. It's probably going to be a dl though, maybe that safety from Iowa.

No to the last bit, the Bills have their center and versatile backup on the roster already. There's better places to spend that asset.

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

Double up in the Draft for me.

Diggs is still here and Shakir will be in Year 3 / Kincaid Year 2.

We can afford to go young at WR behind them.

Not much appetite for tier 2/3 WR's in Free Agency. 

Triple dip WR no question this year. Do what KC did with CBs the year we drafted Kaiir & Benford except at WR. And higher picks than they spent. Two by the end of day 2 for sure. Malpractice not to IMHO of course 

We won't be too active in the low end FA WR market this year, especially after the not great signing of Sherfield. We're stuck with Diggs for contract reasons. I expect us to draft two WR before round 5 and ideally both can help next year

Draft 2.  Don’t care where.  

And Trade candidates using draft picks or roster players I’d explore:

DK Metcalf 

One of the Packers kids - Watson
McClaurin or Dotson 

Jameson Williams 

Hollywood Brown 

Courtland Sutton 

Drake London 

Players I’d package to get a WR along the lines of the guys above that might make sense:

Elam OR….Benford.  This team just develops CBs.  If we can draft one to replace Benford and it gets us Drake London - yes I’m doing that.  Also, I’m a bit concerned Benford is injury prone. Would much rather ship Elam - but I’m not sure he has any value.  

Rousseau.  We signing him?  Entering year 4.  What do we got here?  Washington needs DEs.  Maybe we can get Dotson - who I love and would be a better version of Smoke.  

James Cook.  Yep.  Peak value might be right now.  What if Washington wants to pair him with Robinson or the Packers to pair with Aaron Jones.  2 more seasons then he’s gone via free agency anyway.  Don’t get too attached.  

Just spit balling ideas not saying I would or want to trade those guys.  I just think they’re realistic trade pieces for a football trade or maybe a package to move up in the draft and get more picks.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Draft 2.  Don’t care where.  

And Trade candidates using draft picks or roster players I’d explore:

DK Metcalf 

One of the Packers kids - Watson
McClaurin or Dotson 

Jameson Williams 

Hollywood Brown 

Courtland Sutton 

Drake London 

Players I’d package to get a WR along the lines of the guys above that might make sense:

Elam OR….Benford.  This team just develops CBs.  If we can draft one to replace Benford and it gets us Drake London - yes I’m doing that.  Also, I’m a bit concerned Benford is injury prone. Would much rather ship Elam - but I’m not sure he has any value.  

Rousseau.  We signing him?  Entering year 4.  What do we got here?  Washington needs DEs.  Maybe we can get Dotson - who I love and would be a better version of Smoke.  

James Cook.  Yep.  Peak value might be right now.  What if Washington wants to pair him with Robinson or the Packers to pair with Aaron Jones.  2 more seasons then he’s gone via free agency anyway.  Don’t get too attached.  

Just spit balling ideas not saying I would or want to trade those guys.  I just think they’re realistic trade pieces for a football trade or maybe a package to move up in the draft and get more picks.  

I’d add Brandon Aiyuk to the trade list. He is set to play on the 14 million 5th year option. Nots sure they will move him, but you can’t pay everyone and they are going to have to allocate some money to the defense. 

Ridley would be great, but is out of our price range.   I think that Mooney would be a nice under the radar low cost pickup.   He showed flashes with Chicago and could be good with a QB like Allen.  I would love to see a couple of draft picks thrown into the mix as well.

As far as what we have now, we have Diggs next year for better or worse.  Hopefully he can rebound or if he has lost a step still be a decent #2 option.  Shakir has promise and there is a place for him on the team, but there is no guarantee that this continues is he is elevated to #1 or #2.  Remember how great Gabe Davis  looked until he was given a larger role?

Everyone else is expendable to me.   We should move on from Davis, Sherfield and Harty.  Shorter has potential, but should be seen as a sure thing.

However you slice it, WR is the one position on a suddenly deep overall team that needs a lot of help in the off season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.