Tyler Bass Contract

Process

We just gave Bass a big extension this offseason. At the time it seemed like a no brainer. He was so good before this season. Such a shame.

How screwed are we with the dead cap on his deal for 2024?

Not saying we shouldn't give him another shot. Just wondering if cutting him is even a realistic option if it comes to that. 

3 misses in 2 playoff games, after a rough regular season, is hard to accept. 

Screenshot_20240122-014141.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

We just gave Bass a big extension this offseason. At the time it seemed like a no brainer. He was so good before this season. Such a shame.

How screwed are we with the dead cap on his deal for 2024?

Not saying we shouldn't give him another shot. Just wondering if cutting him is even a realistic option if it comes to that. 

3 misses in 2 playoff games, after a rough regular season, is hard to accept. 

Screenshot_20240122-014141.png

He isn't going anywhere.  You don't create holes to fill AND take huge dead cap hits when you already have to work the cap since you are $40 million over it next year to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yeah it sucks .. but what are you going to do ? 

Just now, Big Turk said:

He isn't going anywhere.  You don't create holes to fill AND take huge dead cap hits when you already have to work the cap since you are $40 million over it next year to begin with.

He is gone 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Beane's surely got a number of different things lined up to get us out from under our cap situation.

Kicker is a relatively cheap position. Especially if we Draft a guy. You can't keep rolling out a Kicker as unreliable as he's been down the stretch just because of the money. It's not like other positions where you can say "well, we're stuck with him, but that doesn't mean we have to start him". 

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah it sucks .. but what are you going to do ? 

He is gone 

Sorry, this isn't Madden franchise mode. I know you think it's realistic when you do whatever you want in the game and think real life works the same way, but sorry to say you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Beane's surely got a number of different things lined up to get us out from under our cap situation.

Kicker is a relatively cheap position. Especially if we Draft a guy. You can't keep rolling out a Kicker as unreliable as he's been down the stretch just because of the money. It's not like other positions where you can say "well, we're stuck with him, but that doesn't mean we have to start him". 

With that dead cap number Bass will be back

Hope is he bounces back like alot of kickers have in the past.

But this year was bad and it would be nice to feel better about the position going into next year.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Sorry, this isn't Madden franchise mode. I know you think it's realistic when you do whatever you want in the game and think real life works the same way, but sorry to say you are sadly mistaken.

So is your argument that his dead cap is too high… not his kicking ability? 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Considering in general, kicker consistency is the widest variable in the NFL from one year to the next outside of outliers like Justin Tucker, you most likely would be chasing your tail. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

So is your argument that his dead cap is too high… not his kicking ability? 

Kicking consistency from one year to the next outside of a very select few like Justin Tucker is the widest variable in the NFL in terms of statistics.  To the point the argument was made that kickoff distance/touchbacks are a more important determinating factor when they did the study than FG percentage since it's up and down and effected by a lot of other variables.  

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Kicking consistency from one year to the next outside of a very select few like Justin Tucker is the widest variable in the NFL in terms of statistics.  To the point the argument was made that kickoff distance/touchbacks are a more important determinating factor when they did the study than FG percentage since it's up and down and effected by a lot of other variables.  

Sorry … can’t agree .. I think he gets cut … happy to revisit and accept my Medicine… but I think he is gone 

Edited by Aussie Joe

I feel like kickers either have it, or they don’t. A miss like that can linger in Bass’s mind. His first year was concerning after beating out Hauschka because he had the yips early, couldn’t make anything after a stellar preseason. He was able to get right in that Jets game where he made 7/10 or whatever it was, but I can’t fully trust him from this point on. I think he knows the team likely feels the same.

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Sorry … can’t agree .. I think he gets cut … happy to revisit and accept my Medicine… but I think he is gone 

You don't need to agree, you simply are being emotional and not basing it off facts.  Bass is squarely in the middle of "good" kickers over the last 3 years and is 3rd in XP percentage over that time.  The "clutch" kicker Butker is a few percentage points better than him, which is statistcailly meaningless really with how few attempts they get each year. You don't create a huge dead cap space to get a marginal, if any, upgrade.  That makes zero sense and only someone who is basing their decision on emption rather than logic would do that. Bass was also 9/9 before that kick in those situations.  You don't get rid of a guy who misses his first kick after making the other 9.

Guess 2am counts for Overreaction Monday.

image.thumb.png.9fb4cba348dea9e59c3c08039f1c41cf.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.