The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Season Finale Edition

Chaos

Bills fought hard tonight. It wasn't enough.   The Bills under Sean McDermott remind me of of Rory MacAvoy (Kevin Costner) in Tin Cup.  "I qualified for the US Open playing the back nine with only a seven iron"  And every other team is Davis Simms (Don Johnson) who responds with "why".   The Bills seem to make things so much harder than they need to be. "We won six in a row just to stumble into the playoffs".  Why does the team with so much talent put itself in that postion.  

The Good:

• Bills made it to the divisional round of the playoffs
  • Josh Allen played a great game.  It was not quite perfect, but it was  a game winning performance.  

The Bad:

• Bills did not make it out of the divional round of the playoffs
  • Defensive performance. Chiefs offense is excellent. The Bills had injuries on defense.  But it did not acquit itself well.  Chiefs scored on every drive until late in the game. 
  • Team has been investing in defensive linemen with draft picks and free agent cap for years. Tonight we had 10 healthy linemen.  They provided no pressure, and were gashed by the run.  The ROI on this investment is almost -100%

The Ugly:

• Special teams. Failed fake punts. Bad punts, missed FGs.  Just awful. 
  • Each recent Bills seasons seems to end with an emphasis on the adversity and drama the team faced.  Not really sure other teams end up quite this way (Eagles seem to be similar this year)

The Future: 

• Once again the Bills focus on how much adversity they faced is the real problem indicates that the only choice will be to "run it back' and hope next time ends better. 
Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

My two cents:

1. Bills have yet to put together the regular season they are capable of. They need to stop screwing around and get the 1 seed one of these years. 

these last two seasons the one seed would have meant a home match up against the Jaguars or or Texans. Nothing is guaranteed but I sure as heck like our odds of advancing to at least the conference title game against either of those two teams .

2. Josh Allen is still a baller. In many ways this year he was confusingly bad and predictably extraordinary. And even with the bad that popped up more times than normal the Bills still finished as the 2 seed in the conference. I find it funny when talking heads say the Bills have “missed their window”. I’m like, is Josh Allen leaving?

For all the talk of JA’s turnover’s he just had another 7 TD 0 turnover postseason. 

Josh Allen is fine. 

3. The future: Shakir and Kincaid look like good building blocks. The o-line was good enough and proved they could be healthy. All should be back unless Morse retires. 

Cook is a talent and we will just have to learn to live with his below average hands. Bye, bye Davis. 

Bernard and Milano next season healthy for a full year. 👀 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Something I was thinking about earlier this week.

2 seasons ago the Bills training staff was lauded for being superior as the Bills hardly had any injury issues all year.

The past two seasons have been vastly different.

So should the Bills training staff be under fire for the injury issues or are injuries just a crap shoot and the praise the staff received a couple years ago was unjustified as it’s all luck anyway?

1 minute ago, Beast said:

2 seasons ago the Bills training staff was lauded for being superior as the Bills hardly had any injury issues all year.

So should the Bills training staff be under fire for the injury issues or are injuries just a crap shoot and the praise the staff received a couple years ago was unjustified as it’s all luck anyway?

I would say it’s a crapshoot. I’m not a believer of “training” yourself out of random injuries that occur. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Unfortunately, "just a crap shoot" is my operating hypothesis until someone proves otherwise.

Even this year, the offense was remarkably healthy all season. The only important injuries were to Knox and Gabe Davis. The O line was intact all season, which is pretty incredible. So if the training staff was doing something wrong it was somehow only to the defense?

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Unfortunately, "just a crap shoot" is my operating hypothesis until someone proves otherwise.

Even this year, the offense was remarkably healthy all season. The only important injuries were to Knox and Gabe Davis. The O line was intact all season, which is pretty incredible. So if the training staff was doing something wrong it was somehow only to the defense?

I mean, I don’t disagree with you but, like I said, the training staff was getting kudos for the lack of injuries a couple years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

Chiefs offense is not really excellent this year.  The Bills were weak in an area you cannot afford to be weak against this team in however, which was up the middle.  Especially weak when it's your 3rd string LB playing with a torn labrum and 5th string LB who is a PS callup that was on his couch last Wednesday planning a trip in an RV to Key West with the fam.

Douglas was terrible this gam...by far his worst as a Bill and was clearly hampered by his knee injury.  Should have been benched for Elam in the 2nd half.  Benford out hurt as well. Jackson missed several tackles in the hole that led to big runs.

Basically a D being held together by duct tape at this point needed the D Line to play exceptional and they sucked mostly.

• Like (+1) 2

Our overall ST & coach is a joke. Besides Hartys one return they didn't do squat all season. Tonight I watched our 10 player rotational DL merry go round do absolutely nothing. Even Ed & DQ seemed invisible Tonight.  More drops from wrs is becoming a weekly issue.  Along with another dropped TD by Cook. If I'm Josh I gotta be beyond frustrated. Brady is better than Dorsey but someone needs to introduce him to something called play- action?  And finally  McDermott.  All these investments on defense only to let State Farm shred you again.  How bout we hire better defensive conditioning people so our players aren't dropping like flies. Even if Bass makes that kick we're still losing that game.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

My two cents:

1. Bills have yet to put together the regular season they are capable of. They need to stop screwing around and get the 1 seed one of these years. 

these last two seasons the one seed would have meant a home match up against the Jaguars or or Texans. Nothing is guaranteed but I sure as heck like our odds of advancing to at least the conference title game against either of those two teams .

2. Josh Allen is still a baller. In many ways this year he was confusingly bad and predictably extraordinary. And even with the bad that popped up more times than normal the Bills still finished as the 2 seed in the conference. I find it funny when talking heads say the Bills have “missed their window”. I’m like, is Josh Allen leaving?

For all the talk of JA’s turnover’s he just had another 7 TD 0 turnover postseason. 

Josh Allen is fine. 

3. The future: Shakir and Kincaid look like good building blocks. The o-line was good enough and proved they could be healthy. All should be back unless Morse retires. 

Cook is a talent and we will just have to learn to live with his below average hands. Bye, bye Davis. 

Bernard and Milano next season healthy for a full year. 👀 

The problem was never Josh Allen.  It's the incompetent coaching and lack of execution by his fellow players. Josh leaves his soul on the field most days. I can't say that about his boys. And as long as Mahomes,  Burrow and Lamar play in the AFC, his chances of going to a SB are not great.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

McD is the DC and stocks thexroster with loser special teams players.

Until he is gone we are wasting the best QB in franchise history 

Oh yeah this moron passed on Mahomes too.

I dont care if he is a nice man and the culture is great. 

The team isn't winning SuperBowls. 

The time is now to make a change. Harbaugh and Belichick are both available.  Either guy wins a SuperBowl with this roster this year and next and the one after.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I'm not sure what else they can do...it's not like the players are getting injuries like pulls, etc that are caused by poor training staff things.  In general, the Bills aren't that injured in terms of Man Games Lost, it just seems to happen in waves to them where the same position keeps taking hits one after another in games, week after week leaving them playing their 4th/5th string options at times for chunks of the season.

Injuries are just luck a lot of times.  The Bills just seem to not have much of it at all the last two years at least when it comes to starters. In 2019 and 2020 they had relatively few injuries.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.