Ravens vs Texans

aristocrat

15 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Ridiculous to say Lamar isn’t worthy of MVP. He gets results because he’s such a threat to run or pass. Style doesn’t matter, substance does. He led his team to the best record.

They’re backups in part because they’re not as good at discipline and tackling.

The entire offense is solid. Great OL. His RBs are always dependable. He's not the MVP.

33 minutes ago, BlackWing said:

Look, I agree Lamar gets a bit too much praise, and I can see plenty of arguments for him not winning MVP, but to flat out say he has no business even being in the discussion is silly.

Mahomes is a better choice for MVP. In fact take away Allen in this and Mahomes is who id pick if I had to choose a QB

23 minutes ago, boyst said:

@miketysonslisp  @PastaJoe@BlackWing

Why am I wrong? 

I didn't see a single read beyond the 2nd read for him. He eyed his target, checked down, or forced to his primary each pass. 

I doubt you can see or have knowledge of what his 1st / 2nd reads are without the all 22 and if you say so i'll call it BS. He has become an expert at navigating /extending and hitting open wrs. And he had very minimal "forced" throws today. I saw mostly safe /steady /high % throws which is what you'd want this late in the playoffs against a good team. If he can run or throw and not make any mistakes they win. Not only do they win they blow playoff caliber teams out. He is a great game controling qb to go hand in hand with that D. Where we have to constantly rely on JA's heroics they have to rely on Lamar hitting a few plays here and there & otherwise just making safe steady plays however he can and he's excelled at it this yr. Hou had 2 opportunities now to stop Baltimore and this offense scored more this time around than last.  We will have our hands full trying to beat them. Sorry I dont have the irrational hate for lamar this board has. The guy is very similar to our guy- they both can flat out ball. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, miketysonslisp said:

I doubt you can see or have knowledge of what his 1st / 2nd reads are without the all 22 and if you say so i'll call it BS. He has become an expert at navigating /extending and hitting open wrs. And he had very minimal "forced" throws today. I saw mostly safe /steady /high % throws which is what you'd want this late in the playoffs against a good team. If he can run or throw and not make any mistakes they win. Not only do they win they blow playoff caliber teams out. He is a great game controling qb to go hand in hand with that D. Where we have to constantly rely on JA's heroics they have to rely on Lamar hitting a few plays here and there & otherwise just making safe steady plays however he can and he's excelled at it this yr. Hou had 2 opportunities now to stop Baltimore and this offense scored more this time around than last.  We will have our hands full trying to beat them. Sorry I dont have the irrational hate for lamar this board has. The guy is very similar to our guy- they both can flat out ball. 

Soooo what you're saying is he is a game manager who can also run?

He's not an MVP QB.

46 minutes ago, boyst said:

The entire offense is solid. Great OL. His RBs are always dependable. He's not the MVP.

You can say the same about Allen. Diggs is better than any Raven WR. Cook is better than any Raven RB.

I’d give the MVP to McCaffrey over any QB.

16 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

You can say the same about Allen. Diggs is better than any Raven WR. Cook is better than any Raven RB.

I’d give the MVP to McCaffrey over any QB.

McCaffrey or Trent Williams. 

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They had a better shot than it seemed, but they didn't capitalize on it. In the first half they were moving the ball if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot and actually got points then maybe they leave the half with a lead of one or 2 scores. That happens and it could have been a very different game, not sure how well the Ravens chase a lead.

Their big plays even first half were from CJ creating something from nothing. Their offense had basically no designed plays that worked.

It gave the illusion of being close. But that game was a blowout from the start.

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It was 10-10 at half. 

Yes, but Houston's only touchdown was a punt return and the only success they were having defensively was blitzing. 

That wasn't a sustainable way of competing in the game. As I say.... it gave the illusion of being closer than it was.

That is what Baltimore is.  Super defense that shuts you down, and they ask Lamar to go and get a few scores.  I don’t think Lamar is a great quarterback but there is no question he is a great football player.

It is going to be very difficult for either the Bills or the Chiefs to beat them in Baltimore because of that crowd and that defense.

The blueprint is that you must shut down the running game…and your offense can’t make any mistakes.

I just hope we have chance to give it a shot.

1 minute ago, eball said:

That is what Baltimore is.  Super defense that shuts you down, and they ask Lamar to go and get a few scores.  I don’t think Lamar is a great quarterback but there is no question he is a great football player.

It is going to be very difficult for either the Bills or the Chiefs to beat them in Baltimore because of that crowd and that defense.

The blueprint is that you must shut down the running game…and your offense can’t make any mistakes.

I just hope we have chance to give it a shot.

Yep. Shut down the conventional run game - the backs - and muddy the reads for Lamar in the middle of the field. That is the gameplan that beats the Ravens. Put Lamar in as many dropback passing 3rd and longs as possible. He will get out 3 or 4 times and scramble for firsts. Doesn't matter. Stay patient. If you get him in 3rd and 8 six times a game you will likely get him off the field four of those times. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, julian said:

It’s not silly though, his stats say he has no business but if the award just goes to the best player on the best team, then Lamar is the MVP.

Lamar is clearly one of the best football players in the league.

Top player yes, QB maybe top 10.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Shut down the conventional run game - the backs - and muddy the reads for Lamar in the middle of the field. That is the gameplan that beats the Ravens. Put Lamar in as many dropback passing 3rd and longs as possible. He will get out 3 or 4 times and scramble for firsts. Doesn't matter. Stay patient. If you get him in 3rd and 8 six times a game you will likely get him off the field four of those times. 

You need to stop the run, and you NEED to keep LJ in the pocket.  If he gets out a runs it’s as bad as the backs pounding it.  

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

You need to stop the run, and you NEED to keep LJ in the pocket.  If he gets out a runs it’s as bad as the backs pounding it.  

You need to stop the designed runs. You don't need to be overly concerned about the scrambles. Teams who sell out on the scrambles find that Baltimore just execute their offense all over them.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with this but this is true with most any QB. It's hard to do on them. Other teams have been trying to stop it all season. Lamar has seen this so much they have the plays to beat this. McD has to really figure out how they've evolved and try to attack them. This is not the same team we've handled before and Lamar is a better, more seasoned player. He could've choked yesterday as is the norm and he didn't. Look at how he adjusted at the half

He played mistake free, winning football, and controlled the game with his legs. No matter what people say about his passing not being elite- it's good enough and with his legs he is the one who paces the games and controls the clock. It's not going to be easy going into Baltimore and stopping him. I'm praying we don't have any more injuries after shellacking the Swifties and we ideally need to add a few defenders coming off injuries heading into Baltimore. Oh and Baltimore also has a day or 2 of more rest than us. It's going to be a dogfight and we will need the kind of game Lamar played against the Texans- by Allen. Mistake free, winning football. Heroics won't win that game IMO and if we get into that situation that D will feast. Their linebackers are elite and their secondary with Hamilton is opportunistic. In fact every level of their Defense is good to great and I don't think we will have many opportunities if they are executing their game plan...

20 minutes ago, miketysonslisp said:

Agree with this but this is true with most any QB. It's hard to do on them. Other teams have been trying to stop it all season. Lamar has seen this so much they have the plays to beat this. McD has to really figure out how they've evolved and try to attack them. This is not the same team we've handled before and Lamar is a better, more seasoned player. He could've choked yesterday as is the norm and he didn't. Look at how he adjusted at the half

He played mistake free, winning football, and controlled the game with his legs. No matter what people say about his passing not being elite- it's good enough and with his legs he is the one who paces the games and controls the clock. It's not going to be easy going into Baltimore and stopping him. I'm praying we don't have any more injuries after shellacking the Swifties and we ideally need to add a few defenders coming off injuries heading into Baltimore. Oh and Baltimore also has a day or 2 of more rest than us. It's going to be a dogfight and we will need the kind of game Lamar played against the Texans- by Allen. Mistake free, winning football. Heroics won't win that game IMO and if we get into that situation that D will feast. Their linebackers are elite and their secondary with Hamilton is opportunistic. In fact every level of their Defense is good to great and I don't think we will have many opportunities if they are executing their game plan...

Don't get me wrong mine was not a Lamar criticism. I think he is very good. And stopping the Ravens isn't easy. They are a complete team. But the book on playing him is one of the more person specific game plans vs any QB in the NFL. Not easy to execute but pretty consistent with what it has always been.

And it is not to blitz the hell out of him as Houston did yesterday. That was never going to be sustainable.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And it is not to blitz the hell out of him as Houston did yesterday. That was never going to be sustainable.

I understood their gameplan though. You're a huge underdog coming into a game with talent mismatches all over the field. In a game like that you almost have to do the exact opposite of what your opponent expects just to muddy the game somewhat and hope that by making it a closer game than it should be, you give yourself a chance to pull it out at the end. And to some extent it worked. 10-10 at halftime is as good as Houston could have hoped for.

But of course that defensive gameplan depended on Houston's offense to do something, anything. Instead they barely managed to complete 1st downs on any given drive. So it was only a matter of time before Baltimore's talent pulled ahead.

Ultimately Houston's OL was just nowhere near good enough to even keep it a close game. There is no amount of gameplanning or QB play that can overcome such a fundamental problem.

Edited by HappyDays

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I understood their gameplan though. You're a huge underdog coming into a game with talent mismatches all over the field. In a game like that you almost have to do the exact opposite of what your opponent expects just to muddy the game somewhat and hope that by making it a closer game than it should be, you give yourself a chance to pull it out at the end. And to some extent it worked. 10-10 at halftime is as good as Houston could have hoped for.

But of course that defensive gameplan depended on Houston's offense to do something, anything. Instead they barely managed to complete 1st downs on any given drive. So it was only a matter of time before Baltimore's talent pulled ahead.

Ultimately Houston's OL was just nowhere near good enough to even keep it a close game. There is no amount of gameplanning or QB play that can overcome such a fundamental problem.

Yea they lost on talent not gameplan. I agree with that. But I still didn't love the blitz crazy defensive plan. I hate getting to your biggest game and then not doing the things that got you there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.