Should O'Cyrus Torrence be benched?

HappyDays

It's a long season for these rookies. They just don't have the NFL body in their first season. 

It also does not help that he received no help. I'm not sure why they left him alone with Wilkins and doubled the other side. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory here. This is a genuine question.

Torrence has been the clear weak link on the Bills offense in recent weeks. He's getting beat inside off the snap at a frighteningly high rate. He's making mental mistakes that allow free rushers up the middle.

It's no blight on him as a draft pick if we bench him. It's known that OL players in particular take time to develop, and with his body type it would not be a surprise at all if he's hit the rookie wall playing 100% of the snaps this season. And there's still 4 (hopefully) games to go...

I just don't know if we can live with Torrence's mistakes in a playoff run that looks like it will be a true gauntlet. We have steady vets in David Edwards and Ryan Bates waiting in the wings. I think the coaching staff should seriously consider making a change now before it's too late.

I’m staying out of this…yes he should. Bates is better. But the young man has top 10 OG potential as Bates is only your average OG.

58 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

I think there's also a psychological point to this.  Benching him now would put some negative vibes into the o-line.  He knows that the fumble was on him and so does everybody else.  Let him overcome that with the help of his mates.

Sack was on him. 
Fumble was 100% Allen. 

No. He has struggled second half of the year that is true. But I think they have to let him work through it. And the one egrigous 3rd down free rusher play today looked like a protection call mistake to me rather than a mental mistake by O'Cyrus. Josh tried to set a blitz protection but the OL all played the down as if they were protecting 4 man rush, wasn't just Torrence, although the guy ends up coming through the right guard channel. Some communication went array there somewhere IMO. 

Not saying that was his only bad snap. He struggled generally. But on that one it is likely an Allen / Morse communication miscue. 

By far and large O'Cyrus has played well this season. He may be hitting a bit of a "rookie wall", but I believe that it is best to let him work through it. For as much as I have historically complained about the OL and the front office not investing enough into it, I will say that I have been happily surprised by just how effective (and healthy) they have been this year. Even Spencer Brown is rounding into shape finally -- and I thought he played a pretty good game last night. Even for that series or two when Dawkins was getting his hand attended to, Van Demark filled in seemingly without issue.

For the most part, Josh had plenty of time in the pocket last night. Other than the sack/strip/FR by Wilkins, where O'Cyrus was soundly beaten (by a top tier DT), Josh was only primarily pressured when Miami went all-out with the blitz.

I will say that the last few games, defenses have done a good job with stunts and bringing extra rushers up the middle, which DCs have discovered makes Josh more mortal. The entire interior of the line (beginning with Morse) needs to do a better job communicating and setting the necessary protections. And, Josh needs to do a better job recognizing when the pressure is coming too -- and better protect the ball. That is especially important with a high-pressure team like Pittsburgh coming to town.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Torrence has been the clear weak link on the Bills offense in recent weeks. He's getting beat inside off the snap at a frighteningly high rate. He's making mental mistakes that allow free rushers up the middle.

It's no blight on him as a draft pick if we bench him. It's known that OL players in particular take time to develop, and with his body type it would not be a surprise at all if he's hit the rookie wall playing 100% of the snaps this season. And there's still 4 (hopefully) games to go...

I just don't know if we can live with Torrence's mistakes in a playoff run that looks like it will be a true gauntlet. We have steady vets in David Edwards and Ryan Bates waiting in the wings. I think the coaching staff should seriously consider making a change now before it's too late.

Got any specifics …or just a lot of words? Benched for who? 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think he's been spending too much time with Josh and doesn't realize that he doesn't have to keep the game so interesting by making big mistakes here and there. 

But honestly, no.  I think most of his mistakes are mental/communication mistakes where he misses on an assignment.  For a rookie, that's to be expected and it happens with most people in his role.  He will keep getting better and is overall a big improvement over the depth behind him.  These are acceptable growing pains to me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.