Unpopular playoff opinion-next year

BillsFooteball

20 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

I don’t care about the division this year. In a perfect world to me bills beat the patriots. We have 2 probable games go our way chiefs beating bengals and Seahawks beating Steelers. Playoffs are clinched! 

Following week I would be in full support of treating Miami as a bye week. Rest up,

The bolded above is where you and those that see merit in your idea are mistaken. There's lots of downside to your suggestion:

1. Having a bye (not playing) is not the same thing as resting your starters.
  2. With the size of game day rosters, you are now playing starters alongside non-starters. In football where units choreograph their assignments, this can lead to lots of blown assignments and injuries.
  3. Football is not a "halfway" sport. Resting starters sends a mixed message to the team. Not going all-out to win is very problematic.

IF Miami beats Baltimore there might be some benefit to resting the starters.

But if week 18 is for the 2nd seed there's no decision to be made.

2 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

You often get an easier game as a 5th seed than as a third seed though you lose home field. Of course 5th seed is unlikely this year.

If the Bengals, Colts and Texans win in Week 17 then we will stil have to go to Miami and win the final game (assuming we beat the Patriots at home in Week 17) as there are really only two WC sports and there will be four teams. 

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

About the bolded: selling season tickets, especially for important/playoff games...you have to assume the buyers willing to pay premiums (your stated goal) are opposing fans. Especially if you're in the lower bowl. And even more-so if you're on the visiting side or at least close to the field. 

On one hand, I support anyone of working class means who can turn a little profit (or at least mitigate costs) off this corporate sports entertainment club membership. It's 100% your right.

But on the other hand, I facking hate queuing through the gate surrounded by loud Canadians/out-of-towners sporting opponent gear, and then seeing the closest seats around the field (especially visiting side) teeming with visiting fans. That's some LA and Miami mercenary shizz. 

Basically, you do you. But also, shame on you. Both things can be true. 

Well. I’ve tried to sell every single ticket I’ve sold this year to fans on this site. Nobody has bought them. I had a few bites by people and nobody followed through. I have made that clear, I will sell the tickets for a profit, and if not, I will go if I am able to or give them away to someone I know personally. I hope no opponents fans are buying them. But at the same time, I’m not looking to lose money. Fact is I’ve had season tickets since 2006, I’ve missed more games this season than I have in the last 17 seasons put together. I think my track record is pretty good. 

Wouldn't it be a fun assignment to ban the word "if" from the board in the upcoming weeks...

Leaving aside the resting the starters part from this thread, what I totally agree with is the underlying vibe of this message, that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves too much and qualifying for the play-offs is by far the most important thing, seen as we were all but dead and burried after the Eagles disaster... The board has been full of pipe dreams of where we could end up by winning out, but frankly, after the many blows this season what I absolutely want to avoid is losing at Miami and be eliminated from the play-offs alltogether.  And that scernario is still possible. Last nights win by the Ravens means that they may well have locked up the #1 with a win over Miami next week, leaving the door open for the Steelers who play their final game at Baltimore.

It's a sad consequence of our losses this year, but it may come down to that, downward trending poor teams getting crappy easy wins in their last few games: Jaguars (home Carolina, @ Tennessee) is another example.  As great as it would be to play for the division title in Miami, knowing that a loss there might be season ending would make it a mega bum squeezer.  So my main prayer is to be guaranteed a play-off spot by next week.

Interesting premise, but no team looks ahead to the following season’s opponents in deciding how they will approach the rest of the current season when they have Super Bowl aspirations.  Plus, with how things transpired this weekend the #2 overall seed is still in play, which means playing #7 in the first round who will likely be either the Steelers, Bengals, Colts, Jags, or Texans (I think).

Now, if Miami upsets Baltimore I may reassess…

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just the way the schedule was constructed back in 2002 when they went to four team divisions.  We could very well host them three years in a row now if we happen to finish in the same place in the division this year and next (2024, 2025).  We're for sure scheduled to play them at home in 2026.  Season opener in new stadium?

Thanks, but I think this means that the Bills and Chiefs will both need to finish at the same position in their respective divisions, in order to play each other in the future years. So if the Dolphins beat out the Bills for #1 in the AFCE and the Chiefs get #1 in the AFCW, then the Dolphins (and not the Bills) host the Chiefs in 2024.   Right? 

Not to worry, though.  The Ravens will have a fish fry next week, the Bills will beat NE in Orchard Park, and the Bills will wrap up the #2 seed in the AFC with a win in Miami.

6 hours ago, Belgium_Bill said:

Wouldn't it be a fun assignment to ban the word "if" from the board in the upcoming weeks...

Leaving aside the resting the starters part from this thread, what I totally agree with is the underlying vibe of this message, that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves too much and qualifying for the play-offs is by far the most important thing, seen as we were all but dead and burried after the Eagles disaster... The board has been full of pipe dreams of where we could end up by winning out, but frankly, after the many blows this season what I absolutely want to avoid is losing at Miami and be eliminated from the play-offs alltogether.  And that scernario is still possible. Last nights win by the Ravens means that they may well have locked up the #1 with a win over Miami next week, leaving the door open for the Steelers who play their final game at Baltimore.

It's a sad consequence of our losses this year, but it may come down to that, downward trending poor teams getting crappy easy wins in their last few games: Jaguars (home Carolina, @ Tennessee) is another example.  As great as it would be to play for the division title in Miami, knowing that a loss there might be season ending would make it a mega bum squeezer.  So my main prayer is to be guaranteed a play-off spot by next week.

Yeah that's right.  

We could have a Bills agony countdown.

13 seconds against the Chiefs

12 men on the field against the Broncos

11 men on the left side of the field vs the Titans in the Music City Miracle heist

-- feel free to fill in the rest

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thanks, but I think this means that the Bills and Chiefs will both need to finish at the same position in their respective divisions, in order to play each other in the future years. So if the Dolphins beat out the Bills for #1 in the AFCE and the Chiefs get #1 in the AFCW, then the Dolphins (and not the Bills) host the Chiefs in 2024.   Right? 

Correct.  You used to see it all the time when Brady and Manning dominated their divisions.  The Colts had three straight games at the Pats from '04 to '06.  Then the Pats had three straight games at the Colts from '07 to '09.  Then the Pats at the Colts from '10 to '12.  LOL.

On 12/25/2023 at 7:51 PM, chongli said:

I want the number 2 seed. Then we host the number 7 seed in the WC and KC (Miami?) probably in the divisionals.

Yes, you play for home field and the #2 seed. If that is out the window I would not be in favor of resting healthy players. Just don’t see any advantage in doing anything but playing to win. # 2 would be a massive coup given where the Bills were at 3 weeks ago. 

15 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Just want to point out if the bills get the 2 seed they could play the Steelers at home followed by the jags at home or something similar

Would think Steelers then BrownsKCPhins ? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, BillsFooteball said:

First off Merry Christmas bills fans! 
I wanted to throw out a scenario that I’m hopeful for but don’t believe will be popular take and would love to get some feedback. 

First most important I just want bills to get in playoffs. This year more than ever has taken a toll on me. Jets, patriots, broncos, and eagles losses particular were heartbreaking. Give me even one of those wins and we likely are not even having this conversation. I would be all about the 1 seed. For now though  Bills making the playoffs and having an opportunity to go on a run is priority #1. 

Now where we may  disagree:

I don’t care about the division this year. In a perfect world to me bills beat the patriots. We have 2 probable games go our way chiefs beating bengals and Seahawks beating Steelers. Playoffs are clinched! 

Following week I would be in full support of treating Miami as a bye week. Rest up,

get healthy and let’s go on a run. No risk of any other significant injury. Bills are as good as anyone in AFC this year. They aren’t getting a 1 seed. I don’t care if it’s wildcard or afc championship to make Super Bowl they will likely have to go KC and Baltimore and win which they can do. 

Lastly looking wayyyy ahead to next year. I know anything can happen and it’s sometime when you play a team not who you play. But Miami wins division this year. Next year for the uncommon opponents they get the chiefs, ravens  and lions. Bills get broncos, browns and Vikings. Trust me I’m 1000% overly focused and all in this year but to me that’s significant in another competitive year. 

After the results on Christmas (ravens over niners and raiders over chiefs) and last night (browns over jets) I want to circle back on my initial post. Yes, the 2 seed is very attainable and assuming a bills win and dolphins loss this week, that’s exactly what would be on the line week 18. Likely talking difference of 2 seed vs 6 seed. 

Now to go along and be consistent with my original post. Let’s take away what I noted about next season, to me that was just an extra “bonus” but no player and most fans aren’t thinking of that. I reiterate #1 care and priority is I just want the bills to get in playoffs. This can be the year! However, purpose of this is to take initial post,  recent results and priority that bills just get in.

Say bills win this week and during the bills game we are obviously all cheering on ravens to beat Miami and following week play for the division right? Ok all get your wish ravens win. Division on line next week! Now as we eat/drink and prepare for new year, the next slate of games hit. Steelers beat Seahawks and bengals beat the chiefs. Well then…ok division on line next week but my thought would be so would bills playoffs hopes. Despite what  the playoff simulator which I obsess over see below breakdown.

True to form this season of course this is how it turns out.  So final week of season now both bills and Miami have everything to play for. Exciting like a playoff game

except it’s not,  so can we get please get

some help just in case? Steelers/bengals loss would do it! You then have ravens who have 0 to play for since #1 seed would be locked up vs Steelers who have a playoff spot on the line.  Also have browns who have 0 to play for since 5th seed is locked up vs bengals who have playoff spot on the line. I know couple other factors as well (afc south teams) but little more worrisome now since starters will be resting/anyone listed as limited   participant during week,  will be out. 

Now flip it to Miami wins this week. Final week of season both ravens and browns have everything to play for (as does Miami) a shot 

at #1 seed. This would tremendously help chances for bills to get in playoffs in case they were to lose. It’s over explained but bottom line nothing to play for vs 1 seed in games bills need to go way if by chance they lose.
Heres to hoping bills,’chiefs, and Seahawks win this week and they clinch so everything I said was just over concerned blabbering nonsense 🍻 

On 12/25/2023 at 9:36 AM, Process said:

If dolphins and browns win and we clinch playoffs, I think they should rest guys. 

If 5 seed is in play you have to go for it. Getting to play the afcs is too valuable.

Who has the tiebreaker if the Browns & Bills tie in a wild card scenario? 

On 12/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, Big Blitz said:

If we don’t win the division the playoff run could be:

at KC

at Miami

at Baltimore 

That’s not optimal.  

Getting a home game and assuming Baltimore is the 1 seed would look something like this:

vs likely 6 seed - I’d guess that’s Cleveland; Miami would be the 5 and play AFC South winner; Miami would then be at Baltimore RD 2

at KC; maybe home if the 7 beats KC 

AFCCG could be at Baltimore or home vs Miami

Who the 7 seed will be I have no idea but they usually don’t beat the 2 seed.  

If Miami drops their last 2, I think they'd fall to #6 (assuming they & Cle finish 11-6).

Cleveland may rest guys next week, no matter what. Seems like half their team is on IR or just plain banged up.

4 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

After the results on Christmas (ravens over niners and raiders over chiefs) and last night (browns over jets) I want to circle back on my initial post. Yes, the 2 seed is very attainable and assuming a bills win and dolphins loss this week, that’s exactly what would be on the line week 18. Likely talking difference of 2 seed vs 6 seed. 

Now to go along and be consistent with my original post. Let’s take away what I noted about next season, to me that was just an extra “bonus” but no player and most fans aren’t thinking of that. I reiterate #1 care and priority is I just want the bills to get in playoffs. This can be the year! However, purpose of this is to take initial post,  recent results and priority that bills just get in.

Say bills win this week and during the bills game we are obviously all cheering on ravens to beat Miami and following week play for the division right? Ok all get your wish ravens win. Division on line next week! Now as we eat/drink and prepare for new year, the next slate of games hit. Steelers beat Seahawks and bengals beat the chiefs. Well then…ok division on line next week but my thought would be so would bills playoffs hopes. Despite what  the playoff simulator which I obsess over see below breakdown.

True to form this season of course this is how it turns out.  So final week of season now both bills and Miami have everything to play for. Exciting like a playoff game

except it’s not,  so can we get please get

some help just in case? Steelers/bengals loss would do it! You then have ravens who have 0 to play for since #1 seed would be locked up vs Steelers who have a playoff spot on the line.  Also have browns who have 0 to play for since 5th seed is locked up vs bengals who have playoff spot on the line. I know couple other factors as well (afc south teams) but little more worrisome now since starters will be resting/anyone listed as limited   participant during week,  will be out. 

Now flip it to Miami wins this week. Final week of season both ravens and browns have everything to play for (as does Miami) a shot 

at #1 seed. This would tremendously help chances for bills to get in playoffs in case they were to lose. It’s over explained but bottom line nothing to play for vs 1 seed in games bills need to go way if by chance they lose.
Heres to hoping bills,’chiefs, and Seahawks win this week and they clinch so everything I said was just over concerned blabbering nonsense 🍻 

Deep breaths, brother.  Ommm.

29 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

KC better get their crap together this week then. We need Bengals to lose one more. If not, the Miami game is likely to be win or go home for the Bills. 

Baltimore will be resting guys to if they beat Miami.  They clinch the 1 and play Pittsburgh week 18.  

Makes all this talk of 98 percent chance to get in seem ridiculous doesn’t it?  I mean I’m confident but I think this talk of 90 plus percent or whatever seems way too premature and wrong really unless I’m not understanding the tie breakers.  

Who is out if the Bills Texans Steelers and Bengals are all 10-7?  

The Jags lose one more they might be out.  The Texans aren’t losing again with Stroud back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.