Huge shoutout to Buffalo fans from Matt Hasselbeck…

Watching since 1964

3 hours ago, DC Greg said:

I feel like I'm asking a dumb question having seen at least 30 games in that stadium, but what is this "crown" everyone is talking about?

For drainage reasons when they built the new stadium the field was pitched so water/snow goes to the sides from the middle. Before they put the current turf in and we just had the carpet astro turf it was so serve the arc you could literally see the field height difference. I believe the old crown was 18 inches of height difference from side to middle and the current is more like 6 as they are better with drainage and absorbing the water.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, corta765 said:

For drainage reasons when they built the new stadium the field was pitched so water/snow goes to the sides from the middle. Before they put the current turf in and we just had the carpet astro turf it was so serve the arc you could literally see the field height difference. I believe the old crown was 18 inches of height difference from side to middle and the current is more like 6 as they are better with drainage and absorbing the water.

Thanks! Yeah I remember playing on many fields that were set up with different degrees of slope for drainage before. I just never knew it was called a crown.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Even more obnoxious is, "Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd Dooooooooowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn

I think this dumb thing shouts “y’all don’t know your football”. Other stadiums, they put up the 3rd down sign, make noise sign crap.  Some even have to tell crowd “quiet” on offense. 

10 hours ago, DC Greg said:

I feel like I'm asking a dumb question having seen at least 30 games in that stadium, but what is this "crown" everyone is talking about?

All NFL fields had a crown years ago that sloped to the sideline from the center of the field. I think now they marginally sloped about 1 degree for drainage. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't really speak to crown at The Ralph but had been on the field at Texas Stadium many times.  It was dramatic and a real thing. I would definitely affect a QB throwing passes out there to the sidelines if he wasn't used to it.  I remember when they had the last game at Texas Stadium against the Ravens, Joe Flacco and some of the guys were commenting about it.  Seattle doesn't have one.

When football announcers started using the term "run downhill" I thought they meant running a sweep to actually run downhill to get more speed. Now I realize that's not what they mean so when they use it I yell at the TV "he's not running down,the field is flat, moron". Jocks. 🤗

Edited by reddogblitz

OJ Simpson would make good use of the crown - running wide then cutting back to the middle of the field.  The defenders were literally running down hill while trying to switch back to OJ.

Most fields did have a crown, but the one at Rich Stadium was unusually large.  The fact that the field is below ground level makes drainage even more challenging than it would be if at ground level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.