Best Offensive Line in decades

Magox

53 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm sure Spencer Brown will be relieved to hear this.

I have taken RT off my list of needs for next year. He has been a very pleasant surprise and I think the bills should be and will be comfortable with him as their starting RT going forward.

Having our entire starting o line for 2024 on the team and under contract is very nice. 

Yes the OL looked excellent. I am still strongly for trying to bolster and add depth to it via the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's so easy to get a good LT, just like it was to replace Howard Ballard at RT years ago.  Just hit speed dial & get the next Jerry Crafts.  

Again. That’s where we differ. You obviously think Dawkins is very good. I think he’s average for a LT and replaceable. Especially for the contract he’s going to expect 

• Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Again. That’s where we differ. You obviously think Dawkins is very good. I think he’s average for a LT and replaceable. Especially for the contract he’s going to expect 

I am somewhere between. He isn't "very good" or at least he isn't consistently. His best is very good but he is inconsistent. However, I don't think he is easily replaceable. There are at least 12-15 LTs starting in the league I wouldn't even consider over Dion. 

I am not completely opposed to upgrading him, but if you are doing that it is with an early draft pick IMO. I have always thought the answer was draft a kid and slide Dawkins into left guard. I think you could still do that and kick McGovern into center to replace Morse but not sure I wanna mess with the guards after the year they have had. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am somewhere between. He isn't "very good" or at least he isn't consistently. His best is very good but he is inconsistent. However, I don't think he is easily replaceable. There are at least 12-15 LTs starting in the league I wouldn't even consider over Dion. 

I am not completely opposed to upgrading him, but if you are doing that it is with an early draft pick IMO. I have always thought the answer was draft a kid and slide Dawkins into left guard. I think you could still do that and kick McGovern into center to replace Morse but not sure I wanna mess with the guards after the year they have had. 

I am about here with you. 

wanted Dawkins at guard for a long time. Think it would be beneficial to him. Maybe not money wise but play wise. Problem with keeping him is his pay. He’s going to get top 5 LT money when he’s up and imo he’s no where near that. 10th highest? Sure. Not top 5. At his age and his inconsistency I think it’s better to let him walk when the contract is up. Especially if 4 other spots on your line are solidified. Which might not be the case by the time Dawkins is up anyway. 

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

I am about here with you. 

wanted Dawkins at guard for a long time. Think it would be beneficial to him. Maybe not money wise but play wise. Problem with keeping him is his pay. He’s going to get top 5 LT money when he’s up and imo he’s no where near that. 10th highest? Sure. Not top 5. At his age and his inconsistency I think it’s better to let him walk when the contract is up. Especially if 4 other spots on your line are solidified. Which might not be the case by the time Dawkins is up anyway. 

I don't love pushing money down the road with Dion because of the weight issues and some of the inconsistencies. But we are kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't. What I will say is he signed for "top 5" money at the time he signed this deal and he has outplayed that contract value IMO with inflated salaries since.

3 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Hmm, the sacks stat I would bet is misleading.   Is there a stat for offensive line for allowing pressure?

I think that stat is good because of Allen being elusive and hard to tackle.

It's the second stat listed lol.  

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love pushing money down the road with Dion because of the weight issues and some of the inconsistencies. But we are kinda damned if we do and damned if we don't. What I will say is he signed for "top 5" money at the time he signed this deal and he has outplayed that contract value IMO with inflated salaries since.

Yeah I don’t think he’s worth what we payed for him. Like I’ve said multiple times. I think he’s fine if you expect him to be the 3rd best guy on your line. But he’s getting paid to be the best guy not only on the line but one of the best in the league and he just isn’t. But like I said multiple times, I expect him to be extended to push some money down the road. And honestly, if we can expect what we’ve gotten out of him lately I could accept it. But man we’re gonna be pissed if he drops off at all after getting another contract with top 5 money. At his age and his inability to keep away from the buffet I’m not convinced it’s a good move. 

Pleasantly surprised on three counts:
1. Morse: I really thought the concussions were the end for him. Good to see him playing well though I really hope he's not jeopardizing his long-term mental wellnesss.

2. Dawkins: those off-season vids really made him look unathletic, but he's playing well

3. Brown: virtually everyone wrote him off and he's been decent, I think. Maybe he's healthy and his back was a big part of the problem last year.

4 hours ago, Magox said:

He could be, I think he has shown that he could hold down the fort.

Ideally, you want someone who can do more than be adequate. Center is a key position. Maybe a third-round pick? Higher would be nice, but they need WR and safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure it takes some time for an offensive line with two new guys to really gel.  Yesterday they looked a unit, not five guys trying to figure it out.  Granted, Dallas is defense is shaped to beat the passing game since they expect to be playing with an early lead - too bad for them.   That said, the Bills play calling was really good.  Stuck with what was working, making Dallas have to adjust, then shifting to something else that worked, etc so they were on their heels allnight

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Magox said:

In an earlier thread last week I mentioned that I thought that this was the best offensive line that we have had in well over a decade and to my surprise there were some people who had disagreed.

From my perspective, this is the best and most well balanced offensive line we have had since our Super Bowl days.   This offensive line can both run and pass block and it's not just advanced scouting or stats but they pass the eye ball test.

- 1st in Sacks allowed at only 1.4 sacks given up per game

- 9th in pressures allowed at 18.3%

- 7th in Yards Per Carry

- 6th in rushing yards per game

- 6th in rushing TDs per game

PFF has the Bills as one of the top units

Keep in mind that our rushing yards isn't just a Josh Allen story like it had been the past few years but from our RB's.

I just don't think we need to actively look to upgrade the offensive line this offseason.  I do think Spencer Brown is our future RT and has shown a lot of improvement this year.

I think looking for Mitch Morse eventual replacement would be the only position aside from depth upgrades the Bills need to go after this offseason with the line.

I loved adding McGovern in FA and OT was the guy I hoped we got in the 1st round and we lucked out he was there in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Yeah I don’t think he’s worth what we payed for him. Like I’ve said multiple times. I think he’s fine if you expect him to be the 3rd best guy on your line. But he’s getting paid to be the best guy not only on the line but one of the best in the league and he just isn’t. But like I said multiple times, I expect him to be extended to push some money down the road. And honestly, if we can expect what we’ve gotten out of him lately I could accept it. But man we’re gonna be pissed if he drops off at all after getting another contract with top 5 money. At his age and his inability to keep away from the buffet I’m not convinced it’s a good move. 

He signed for "top 5" money but he was only in the top 5 for a year and the market exploded after a year after he signed. He is now the 25th best paid tackle by AAV. Value wise Dawkins contract is one of Beane's best IMO. 

I share the concerns about extending again with bigger cap hits down the road, for a guy that is at his age and has his weight issues. It is certainly risky. But I agree they will do it because it is one of the easier cap moves available to them and they love him as a person and a leader.

13 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

The prevailing thought is that Ryan Bates is the heir apparent. 

13 hours ago, Magox said:

He could be, I think he has shown that he could hold down the fort.

I think Ryan Bates is a better flex player than a starter.  

Bills could even give players a break just they do with RBs and even send him in with playcalls and having player he is replacing step out.  This is something that they need to practice but is just walkthrough not requiring contact.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.