Leonard Floyd - I appreciate you.

NewEra

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Let’s hope so. He looked the best he’s looked all year in the Dallas game. Let’s hope he builds on that 

Not only that. As if he had anything to do with like 38 people on the sideline that should have been counting on that play 

He played pretty well vs KC too imo. He was stifled on a fair share, but he forced 3 incompletions, 2 of which were on 3rd down and the 3rd was the play after Kadarious Failure.  Massive play

On 12/11/2023 at 6:11 PM, Mark Vader said:

Definitely.

Except, because of the year he has had, other teams have taken notice, and his asking price has more likely gone up.

I'd love to keep him, but I won't be shocked if he goes elsewhere.

I have a post in the offseason after his signing-  Floyd had 9.5 sacks last year but had something like 8.5 in the final 8 games last year. Hopefully Von can play GM as he does and get him back for a 2 yr- 22 mil deal

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve been advocating for Floyd for years now. Since him being a Bear. Love him and think he’s been great. I do however think it might be a bad idea to resign him considering his age. Epenesa is probably a better bet considering his age and upside. 

I do think for sure that Floyd is better and will immediately be better. But in the longer term I think it’s better to sign AJ. 

What if they re-sign both Floyd and Epenesa?  Let Miller go after 2024 season.  Greg Thompsett did a salary cap preview for next year.  Bills could get about $45M under the cap by restructuring Allen, Diggs, McGovern and a 4th player (I believe it was Rasul Douglas).  Let Davis go to free agency and draft a WR in the first round.  Let Hyde go in FA.  If there's a way, I think Beane gets it done.  Re-sign Epenesa to a 4 yr deal and re-sign Floyd to a 1 or 2 year deal.  I think Miller is done.  He'll have next year to prove he's back but not liking his chances.

5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why doesn't the NFL allow the 5th year option on any player you draft? Someone may not hit on a first round pick but nail a 2nd or 3rd rounder that they would like to hang on to, I feel like they should be able to do so. This would allow us to keep Epenesa next year at a possible discount and would make it easier to possibly also retain Floyd

It takes two to tango. Why would the NFLPA ever agree to something like that?

1 minute ago, juno999 said:

What if they re-sign both Floyd and Epenesa?  Let Miller go after 2024 season.  Greg Thompsett did a salary cap preview for next year.  Bills could get about $45M under the cap by restructuring Allen, Diggs, McGovern and a 4th player (I believe it was Rasul Douglas).  Let Davis go to free agency and draft a WR in the first round.  Let Hyde go in FA.  If there's a way, I think Beane gets it done.  Re-sign Epenesa to a 4 yr deal and re-sign Floyd to a 1 or 2 year deal.  I think Miller is done.  He'll have next year to prove he's back but not liking his chances.

Pretty sure that was the article I linked earlier. It showed us being able to get to $20m or so under the cap. No idea where 45m came from. They are like 40m over the cap for next year as it sits. I don’t think it’s possible to get that under the cap. There would have to be a massive amount of moves to get even to $20m in cap space. Like cutting Tre White, Poyer which would only open up more holes. Not sure it’s worth it to pay for a guy that’s rotational 

7 hours ago, T master said:

This pick up was another one of Beane's great pick up's he has been a force & i hope with his help & experience they can bring a trophy to Buffalo !! 

Although due to injury the Von signing has not paid off this season thus far, one of the main reasons this team was able to sign Floyd was because of the relationship between Von and Floyd from that Rams SB run. 

So that Von signing is paying off in other ways.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Pretty sure that was the article I linked earlier. It showed us being able to get to $20m or so under the cap. No idea where 45m came from. They are like 40m over the cap for next year as it sits. I don’t think it’s possible to get that under the cap. There would have to be a massive amount of moves to get even to $20m in cap space. Like cutting Tre White, Poyer which would only open up more holes. Not sure it’s worth it to pay for a guy that’s rotational 

Not sure where Thompsett gets his number but he states Bills are currently $29 M over the cap for 2024.  He restructures Allen, Diggs, and McGovern.  These 3 moves would put the Bills $11 M under the cap.  He mentions other moves: Hines, Harty, Martin and Dawkins.  A good listen imo.

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

Not sure where Thompsett gets his number but he states Bills are currently $29 M over the cap for 2024.  He restructures Allen, Diggs, and McGovern.  These 3 moves would put the Bills $11 M under the cap.  He mentions other moves: Hines, Harty, Martin and Dawkins.  A good listen imo.

It appears your link and mine have conflicting numbers from the looks of it. but both have very much the same moves to save money. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/extreme-makeover-salary-cap-edition-buffalo-bills/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think people will also see if he is making plays at critical times to force a stop or a turnover.  

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Yeah I figured AJ would get between $12-15m a year. I put him down for a 5 year contract but that might be pushing it. So maybe 4 years with an out at 3. It will all depend on the market at the time and what other pass rushers are available vs who were franchised or picked back up before FA starts by their teams. And what teams need pass rushers at the time and how desperate they may be. 

If a team does their due diligence they’ll see the nice plays AJ has made as a pass rusher and also his biggest weakness which is setting the edge.  The reason he’s been a rotational player is due to his inability to play the run.  It was a major issue in the playoff game against Cincinnati and a big reason why the defense faltered in the second half against Philadelphia.  

I think AJ has grown into a competent DE.  I can see him getting a nice contract but I don’t think he’s complete enough as a player to get a contract in that range.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If a team does their due diligence they’ll see the nice plays AJ has made as a pass rusher and also his biggest weakness which is setting the edge.  The reason he’s been a rotational player is due to his inability to play the run.  It was a major issue in the playoff game against Cincinnati and a big reason why the defense faltered in the second half against Philadelphia.  

I think AJ has grown into a competent DE.  I can see him getting a nice contract but I don’t think he’s complete enough as a player to get a contract in that range.  

I guess we’ll see soon enough. If he doesn’t get an avg of $12m a year or more I’ll eat a shoe 

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

If there is one place I absolutely trust McDermott, it's at coaching up the secondary.   Draft some DL & WR early and then empty the clip on Day 3 secondary picks. 

He can coach up those type of players but to compete against players with high level skill and talent Coach McD needs more talent.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why wouldn't they? What difference does it make if it's a first round pick or a 5th round pick?

First, later round picks are already behind the 8-ball money wise.  Now you are restricting them even further from getting what the market might be willing to give them.

Second,  teams obviously do not always use their 5th year extensions on their first round picks,  now you are allowing them use their unexercised extension on a a player that they were not going to be able to restrict before.

In the end, it will be a net lost for the players and a net gain for the teams.   No union would accept rules that will decrease their overall pay and flexibility without some giveback from management.

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.