Always go for it in OT

DaggersEOD

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We made the stop. Caused a fumble and won the game. Unfortunately The League doesn't know what a catch is. Only they decide what it is.

Bills won the game. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for some teams in the League... Especially ones visiting hostile Philly. 

How man death threats would that officiating crew get if they called it a catch & fumble???

Facts

Officials were God awful against us in many obvious situations.  

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Today was like clockwork. It's a shame. I'll forever be grateful for McDermott for making us a real team again. But it's over. 

This is where I am.

We need a proven winner, Belichek is who I’d like.   But Pegula won’t move on from McD 

10 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

As soon as we kicked the FG, the game was over. Never once has our D made the game ending stop. If it has, I can’t recall when. 

We have better chance to win going for it on 4th and 10 on our own end of the field, hoping for a walk off TD drive than we would letting our D ever take the field needing a stop.

We all would have been criticizing him if he went for it and missed it.  I think the lack of going for it at the end of regulation though was inexcusable

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

When we kicked the FG in OT I thought that realistically our best possible outcome was a tie. There was of course a small chance that we would get a turnover, but an Iggles FG or TD was far more likely. If they got a FG there wasn’t going to be any time left to score again, so a tie. 

Exactly! Once the D took the field, I just KNEW it would end the same way all the others did. I was praying for a tie. (Feel gross even typing that)

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

As soon as we kicked the FG, the game was over. Never once has our D made the game ending stop. If it has, I can’t recall when. 

We have better chance to win going for it on 4th and 10 on our own end of the field, hoping for a walk off TD drive than we would letting our D ever take the field needing a stop.

I knew the Eagles would win or tie when we left 2 minutes on the clock after we took the lead. Because Sean McDermott always goes prevent in these situations. Same in OT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, fuSimon said:

That's it. I feel the officiating crew was intimidated and even a false start against Philly after our 9 or 10 straight was met with "you insulted my mother" outrage. Props to the fans but the refs are a bunch of yella bellies if I do say so myself!

TBH, those refs essentially covered for the Eagles the entire 1st half.

Hard to get pumped as a player when you know you will be held to a standard your opponent will be rewarded for not meeting. 

27 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

We all would have been criticizing him if he went for it and missed it.  I think the lack of going for it at the end of regulation though was inexcusable

My comment started out as sarcastic/sardonic but TBH, if he went for it, didn’t get it, if he said he knew the D wouldn’t hold up and determined this had the best odds of winning, I think we all would’ve nodded our heads, knowing he was probably right. 

I know we have 20/20 hindsight here, but as mentioned in previous posts, we’ve had 4 previous examples we could’ve looked at yesterday to make the call. 

The only thing our D is consistent with is folding when the game is on the line. 

Oh and how many Hail Mary’s do we have to fall victim to!?

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I knew the Eagles would win or tie when we left 2 minutes on the clock after we took the lead. Because Sean McDermott always goes prevent in these situations. Same in OT.

I was really hoping we’d run the ball down their throats for a few more plays before punching it in. VERY surprised by that call. 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherBillsFan said:

My 14 yr old son was adamant that McDermott should not have called the time out to ice their kicker. Having two timeouts with twenty seconds left would have been a lot better. 

At first I thought be quiet kid what do you know. After the kick I thought, we could really use that second timeout. 😁

Yeah that would’ve changed the entire circumstances of the situation. Maybe your kid should be the HC 😅👍

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Absolutely correct! The defense was scored on in almost all (except 1?) drives to finish the game. They were not stopping anybody. Go for the win!

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I was really hoping we’d run the ball down their throats for a few more plays before punching it in. VERY surprised by that call. 

Same here but you can't fart around when you need a TD. It's not a switch you can flip on and off.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Same here but you can't fart around when you need a TD. It's not a switch you can flip on and off.

You’re right there. It’s just the feeling I got when we lined up in Shotgun after driving down the field, at will, with the running game. 

Their D looked completely gassed. I’d have been happy with a 4th and 1 play to end the game. Win or lose. 

I disagree with the OP here. The better solution is to have excellent playcalling, and excellent execution by your players, so that they just roll in for the game winning TD. The Bills offense was pretty much methodically steam rolling through the Eagles defense yesterday all game, and had Davis & JA17 been on the same page on their final play from scrimmage, the game would have been over. 

As I've said in another thread in here, right now, I just don't think the Bills have enough talent (on both sides of the ball) and/or skills to be a championship contender, and they don't execute on offense near as well as the other top teams. They've shown us that over the past couple of months.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.