Gabe Davis Miscommunication Plays this season

Virgil

I’m no expert but the QB watches the safeties before the snap on EVERY passing play.  When an all out blitz comes, the QB knows the safe place to throw the ball is over the middle, because there’s nobody there to intercept it. Why Gabe Davis doesn’t yet know that is beyond me! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’m no expert the QB watches the safeties before the snap on EVERY passing play.  When an all out blitz comes, the QB knows the safe place to throw the ball is over the middle, because there’s nobody there to intercept it. Why Gabe Davis doesn’t yet know that is beyond me! 

Gabe is obviously reading Slay here. Slay has inside leverage. Gabe should’ve just ran by him but he over thought it. Allen was using instinct. Gabe was over thinking.

I think Gabe probably feels he made the right read but he didn’t have to do all that. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Gabe is obviously reading Slay here. Slay has inside leverage. Gabe should’ve just ran by him but he over thought it. Allen was using instinct. Gabe was over thinking.

I think Gabe probably feels he made the right read but he didn’t have to do all that. 

Josh is NOT using instinct! He’s reading the defense! Every QB does on every play. What do you think they’re barking out at the line of scrimmage? Gabe is supposed to be doing the same. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m no expert but the QB watches the safeties before the snap on EVERY passing play.  When an all out blitz comes, the QB knows the safe place to throw the ball is over the middle, because there’s nobody there to intercept it. Why Gabe Davis doesn’t yet know that is beyond me! 

Because he’s not athletic enough to make the right read and get to the spot.  The CB botched the coverage so bad that either side was open, but Davis ain’t athletic enough to get where he was supposed to go so he stayed outside.  

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Josh is NOT using instinct! He’s reading the defense! Every QB does on every play. What do you think they’re barking out at the line of scrimmage? Gabe is supposed to be doing the same. 

Slay is playing zone and clearly shows inside leverage. Slay is also lined up inside of Gabe Davis 10 yards off. 

Everything is telling Gabe to break outside.

The question is post snap Slay is playing inside still but is caught flat footed. Is there another read based on Slay being flat footed? Davis wins that route no mater what he does but Slay is still showing inside leverage the whole time.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Slay is playing zone and clearly shows inside leverage. Slay is also lined up inside of Gabe Davis 10 yards off. 

The question is post snap Slay is playing inside still but is caught flat footed. Is there another read based on Slay being flat footed? 

The QB is NOT reading the leverage of the CB! He reads the safeties.

2 hours ago, boater said:

You don't know what went on between Beane and DeAndre Hopkins.

I do know, because Beane made it a point to say publicly several times that he couldn't afford Hopkins. Nevermind that he has wasted a fortune on underperforming defensive linemen and small WRs. He made sure to let us know failing to sign Hopkins wasn't his fault.

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But slay isn't the read, basis football 

7 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I don't necessarily disagree. That said, however, please explain how Gabe was to run his route inside when the DB has inside leverage. What gabe did was to run away from the DB he had beaten deep. If he runs inside he's moving in the general direction of the DB who then might have a play on the ball.

Because there is a full on blitz occurring. With no safety coverage on top, he should be running to the more open area to compensate for a potentially rushed pass. 

I've rewatched this play roughly 30x.

Diggs draws the man coverage to the sideline underneath flawlessly, and that crossed Slay up, which is why Gabe essentially went right by him. The option at that point was to simply continue running straight.

You can see where Allen threw the ball was leading him in the same direction he was already going. The break to the outside turns that into an over the shoulder touch pass.

There was no need for an additional move on the route (especially towards the sideline) because there was no other defender to account for. 

Diggs is already signaling a score when he turns and sees Gabe with a clear path.

• Like (+1) 2

You can't just blame gabe.

Josh had 3 throws to no where. Where was Kincade in the 2nd half? What happened to the OC? We'll just run all the time because we had a couple of good runs. I hope we get a good coordinate next year. Maybe frank?

• Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Seriously you just saw us lose to this play from Wilson two weeks ago, how you're reading it is mind blowing 

Completely different alignment. Johnson was on Juedy pre and post snap. Slay is lined up 5 yards inside and 10 yards off on Diggs pre snap. Slay is showing inside the whole time.

And I just watched the Wilson throw. He throws it OUTSIDE!

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The question is post snap Slay is playing inside still but is caught flat footed. Is there another read based on Slay being flat footed? Davis wins that route no mater what he does but Slay is still showing inside leverage the whole time.

it’s almost like slay knew the read for gabe would be inside there too

so the all pro db, romo, Allen and most of the board seem to think Gabe’s route on the safety blitz would be inside, right? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.