Gabe Davis Miscommunication Plays this season

Virgil

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here you go. Gabe didn’t mess up.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Hopefully everyone watches this, especially those who posted since last night blaming Gabe.

Take that breakdown with a big grain of salt. Erik is a huge Gabe Davis defender and has regularly touted him as an above average WR2. Erik has a bad habit of posting supposed play comparisons where the "similar" plays actually feature entirely different defensive coverages that change the discussion, which is the case here. It's annoying because he clearly understands football pretty well, but defending his position always has to come before analyzing plays objectively.

I don't know why this is even controversial. Tony Romo explained it. I saw a clip of Michael Irvin talking about it. Diggs was shown on the sidelines animatedly talking to Davis while Davis listened with a frustrated look on his face. It's extremely clear that he didn't do his job on that play. WR option routes always have an option built in for cover 0 blitz. Davis never looked to see if a blitz was coming so he ran his route normally. CB inside/outside leverage only matters if a safety is in the area. With no safety there the CB can't possibly stop Davis from running straight forward into green grass without committing a defensive penalty. That is why the option is built in, to give the QB the easiest possible throw in the face of instant pressure. Davis blew it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They are all likely options. What people are failing to understand is the DB alignment. Slay is lined up inside on Diggs and stays inside to take Davis. Davis read that and broke outside.

We all know either way Davis goes he wins because Slay is flat footed but Slay staying inside and picking up Davis is what caused the confusion.

I don't know how you're analyzing this play. He did not make a conscious decision to cover Gabe.

He was making a move on Diggs underneath and at the last second saw that the other db had switched off. By the time he tried to adjust, Gabe ran past and was open on a streak. 

Slay was assigned to Diggs the entire time, hence him following him across the field pre snap and lining up across from him.

The other db gambled his coverage to protect the first down and left Slay out to dry. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Take that breakdown with a big grain of salt. Erik is a huge Gabe Davis defender and has regularly touted him as an above average WR2. Erik has a bad habit of posting supposed play comparisons where the "similar" plays actually feature entirely different defensive coverages that change the discussion, which is the case here. It's annoying because he clearly understands football pretty well, but defending his position always has to come before analyzing plays objectively.

I don't know why this is even controversial. Tony Romo explained it. I saw a clip of Michael Irvin talking about it. Diggs was shown on the sidelines animatedly talking to Davis while Davis listened with a frustrated look on his face. It's extremely clear that he didn't do his job on that play. WR option routes always have an option built in for cover 0 blitz. Davis never looked to see if a blitz was coming so he ran his route normally. CB inside/outside leverage only matters if a safety is in the area. With no safety there the CB can't possibly stop Davis from running straight forward into green grass without committing a defensive penalty. That is why the option is built in, to give the QB the easiest possible throw in the face of instant pressure. Davis blew it.

I agree he's not understanding leverage and look

Against cover one he could bend to the pylon ... Leveraging away from the safety

Here in a cover zero situation .. he was even able to stack the cornerback which is an almost guaranteed win on a vertical route

There's no reason to break the route to the corner when he had the CB basically stacked ... That's a death blow for a corner on a vertical route

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here you go. Gabe didn’t mess up.

From one guy, what about the 30 guys, and years of watching football that say otherwise 

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Thank you. We just saw Russ toss it up in this scenario too, and this guy is defending it

Well, I guess we'll simply have to expend more than a mid-4th round pick or spend more than $1M/season on getting good help at WR then.  

These Davis threads are tedious.  

Blame Beane, not Davis.  It's not like Davis was a trade-up 1st-rounder or anything.   He was the 128th overall pick.  

18 players were drafted by Beane higher than 128th.  Two of them suck, 6 are no longer with the team, one or two are questionable.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Well, I guess we'll simply have to expend more than a mid-4th round pick or spend more than $1M/season on getting good help at WR then.  

These Davis threads are tedious.  

Blame Beane, not Davis.  It's not like Davis was a trade-up 1st-rounder or anything.   He was the 128th overall pick.  

18 players were drafted by Beane higher than 128th.  Two of them suck, 6 are no longer with the team, one or two are questionable.  

No don't blame Beane.  Blame the guy who hired Beane and who calls all the shots in the draft.  You know the guy, he insists on going heavy on defensive busts. I think his name goes McSomething.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No don't blame Beane.  Blame the guy who hired Beane and who calls all the shots in the draft.  You know the guy, he insists on going heavy on defensive busts. I think his name goes McSomething.

The point being, don't blame Davis for being thrust into a role due to the mismanagement of the roster.  

If we got that kind of performance from every player on the on a per-million-dollar-earned basis, we'd have a team of all-pros.  

A lot of teams would be quite happy to get the kind of WR that Davis is in the mid-late 4th-round.  

He has two fewer TDs than Jefferson from the same draft.  He has half the catches, about 55% of the yards, and the same TDs as CeeDee Lamb.  Both of those were 1st-round picks. 

Not bad for a 4th round pick.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The point being, don't blame Davis for being thrust into a role due to the mismanagement of the roster.  

If we got that kind of performance from every player on the on a per-million-dollar-earned basis, we'd have a team of all-pros.  

A lot of teams would be quite happy to get the kind of WR that Davis is in the mid-late 4th-round.  

He has two fewer TDs than Jefferson from the same draft.  He has half the catches, about 55% of the yards, and the same TDs as CeeDee Lamb.  Both of those were 1st-round picks. 

Not bad for a 4th round pick.  

getting TDs in a Josh Allen offense is like falling out of bed

look at Knox

I think the Eagles did something not expected so as a counter I would have reversed Diggs and Davis position and let Diggs run the Davis route. Let your $20m WR make the adjustment in zero man coverage. Diggs prolly would have made right adjustment and caught the ball. 

• Agree 1

Pretending Gabe was ever a #2 WR was as ridiculous as pretending Edmunds was a 1st round caliber LB.  It's like the coaching staff wanted to "wish it" into existence. 

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think the Eagles did something not expected so as a counter I would have reversed Diggs and Davis position and let Diggs run the Davis route. Let your $20m WR make the adjustment in zero man coverage. Diggs prolly would have made right adjustment and caught the ball. 

I guarantee you Stef wouldn't have planted his foot and cut left.  You don't have that route or that luxury on a 0 blitz. Josh had to chuck it and the call is straight fly and turn around. 

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

getting TDs in a Josh Allen offense is like falling out of bed

look at Knox

Well, OK, then why do Cook, Kincaid, and Shakir have combined what Davis does, on a combined three times the catches?  

And why does Diggs have 37 TDs on 605 catches to Davis 26 TDs on 157 catches over the four years that both have been here, with Diggs as a polished receiver coming here, Davis a rookie?  ... a fourth the number of catches, 70% of the TDs?  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Well, OK, then why do Cook, Kincaid, and Shakir have combined what Davis does, on a combined three times the catches?  

And why does Diggs have 37 TDs on 605 catches to Davis 26 TDs on 157 catches?  ... a fourth the number of catches, 70% of the TDs?  

Because he runs those routes. It's one of the few things he can do well

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Because he runs those routes. It's one of the few things he can do well

The others can't run those routes then?  

Either way, a TD is a TD.  Not sure why people, not necessarily you, try to distinguish between the styles and types of TDs.  

7 points is 7 points.  

On 11/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, Virgil said:

Yes, it could be on Josh.  But again, wouldn’t it be happening more with other receivers?  Why is it consistently Gabe on the other end?

It wasn't the only "miscommunication" in the game and it wasn't Gabe in the other. 

On one play #16 was on the outside.  After the snap, Josh wings it out to him.  But #16 was already blocking.

There have been "miscommunication" plays with Diggs this year too.

I don't know who to blame. Maybe our offense is too complicated?

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Pretending Gabe was ever a #2 WR was as ridiculous as pretending Edmunds was a 1st round caliber LB.  It's like the coaching staff wanted to "wish it" into existence. 

I guarantee you Stef wouldn't have planted his foot and cut left.  You don't have that route or that luxury on a 0 blitz. Josh had to chuck it and the call is straight fly and turn around. 

Stef would’ve ran his own route. He would’ve saw what Josh saw.

Gabe ran the route as he’s coached.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.