Jets @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I am kind of hoping Philly beats the Chiefs so bad that both Mahomes and Hurts decide to retire tuesday morning.  Mahomes because he does not want to lose that bad ever again and he has a number of commercial shoots to get to and Hurts because he realizes he will never have it better than he did monday night.

All the bills problems solved.

That would be best case scenario for sure!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Ty Johnson played very good tonight. Very inspiring.

Serious question... what happens when Damien Harris is healthy again?

I’d go with Ty tbh.  He’s more versatile.  He doesn’t have the same strength behind his hammer as Harris does, but he’s not far behind and has more juice imo.  More useful in the pass game as well.

that’s said-  just give James Cook the dam ball!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Was nice to see Sauce give up on that play which is the reason Shakir was able to cut back - imagine that was why Williams was going off on him after 

Yeah, I noticed Sauce give up, too.  Always a sign the player is focused on himself rather than the team.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

ST set the tone right out of the gate yesterday. 

Jim Nantz wasn't even finished talking about the ending of the first game and what it meant to the Bills season since then.

Boom, huge hit and fumble on the opening kickoff. 

Bills went on to kick their asses and I sincerely hope they never look back.

Let's GO Buffalo!!!

Wait I'm so confused

I thought Smiley should have been fired at halftime yesterday

I can't keep up

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

Personally, I was really encouraged by what I saw from the offense yesterday. The defense continued to play really well, particularly considering all of the injuries to the unit. But obviously, given the change at offensive coordinator, the offense is what I was most interested to see. A good first outing for Joe Brady and company.

Schematically:

- Attacking the Jets' defense logically, i.e. they have really good corners, so we featured the running backs and tight ends instead

- Featuring the running backs in the passing game. Not as checkdown options, but on plays where they're the primary read

- Scheming players open. Happened on the James Cook and Ty Johnson touchdowns

- Attacking the middle of the field, namely to Dalton Kincaid and Khalil Shakir

- Featuring the young Bills offensive players in the gameplan. Kincaid, Shakir, Cook, and even Ty Johnson all critical to success on the day

- Less predictability. I, as a viewer, had way less idea what was coming from play to play. Can only imagine it was the same for the Jets defense

- Good tempo throughout. It could be me, but plays seemed to be getting in faster, and the Bills O getting to the line sooner and with more time on the playclock.

- Diggs only had 27 yards and Davis had 0, but the Bills still scored 32 points. This showed diversity and creativity and an ability to produce beyond WR1

Intangibles:

- Josh was fired up, and firing up teammates. Him sprinting all the way downfield to celebrate with Shakir, and then the WAY he celebrated with Shakir. Man, what a sight for sore eyes. Guys looked like they were having more fun. Didn't look so "heavy". A player or two specifically mentioned after the fact that it was a fun day, too.

Things I'll be watching going forward:

- Diggs was invisible. Was this simply a matter of gameplanning against a specific opponent? Will Joe Brady find good and creative ways to get Diggs involved going forward?

- Will the running backs continue to be featured in the passing game? Cook and Johnson are both good pass catchers and both have the speed to outrun linebackers, so I hope this continues to be a part of the gameplan

- Will Shakir continue to become the de facto WR2, and perhaps even begin to take snaps away from Gabe Davis?
- Will the offense continue to look like it's having fun instead of doing heavy lifting?

Agreed on all counts esp since they doubled diggs all night or Sauce just molested him and not get called for it.  That said, it really hammers home again a damn good #2 WR must be found this offseason, Davis just isn't it

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Kinda lost in the whole Jets offense sucks thing is how much Nate Hackett sucks

For sure.

to be fair to the jets QB, their OL IS ravaged by injuries is such a terrible way.  Tippman is really the only starter worthy player on their OL rn.  

23 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

TD celebrations last night were enthusiastic 

I think Harris will retire.

He's working on the financials right now to see if it's feasible. 

That's my interpretation of McDermott's remarks. 

Either Harris has lingering concussion symptoms (as Kolb does), OR, he had a vision of himself as paralyzed and unable to hold his expected child that overcame any love for football or desire to continue his football career.

He really should be able to, at some level.  Spotrac puts his career earnings at $5.7M, that's not private-jet-for-life money, but it's live in a nice house and send your kids to private school money if he's done anything prudent with most of it.

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Agreed on all counts esp since they doubled diggs all night or Sauce just molested him and not get called for it.  That said, it really hammers home again a damn good #2 WR must be found this offseason, Davis just isn't it

This is part of my frustration with the current state of officiating in the NFL.  It makes such a huge difference to the outcome whether or not DPI and DH are actually called according to rule.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

He had three drops and a fumble in the first quarter.

I imagine that may have affected how they used him the remainder of the day.

He also lead the team in targets. 

Diggs wasn’t invisible. He had opportunities and made nothing of them. He had a bad day at the office. It happens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That would be best case scenario for sure!

I wouldn’t say I’m rooting for injury. And definitely not a dirty play.

But if these two teams kick the shirt out of each other tonight it wouldn’t be the worst thing for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I wouldn’t say I’m rooting for injury. And definitely not a dirty play.

But if these two teams kick the shirt out of each other tonight it wouldn’t be the worst thing for the Bills.

I don’t root for injuries but when they happen, I don’t feel bad.  It’s a huge part of the game.  Injuries have ruined our seasons in the past.  If injuries ruin other teams seasons, good.  To beat a dead horse, winning SBs requires a lot of luck.  If other teams having injuries is part of our luck, I’ll take all the luck we can get

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

What’s insanely frustrating about the Bills offense lack of consistency is that the individual components along with the key additions are all playing better than last season or have added a lot. There also isn’t much regression if any from established players.

Spencer Brown last season was one of the worst RT’s in the league. This year he has been a lot better. McGovern and Torrence have played much better than the guards last season. Dawkins is even playing slightly better. 

James Cook is playing better and Murray has been a productive addition. Shakir has come on strong and Kincaid has been a major positive. 

Diggs, Mitch and Davis are all playing similar to what they were last season. The only major injury is Knox who has been replaced by Kincaid. 

Yet the offense has been underperforming many times. Just really shows you that Dorsey was a big issue.

What about Allen?  

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure.

to be fair to the jets QB, their OL IS ravaged by injuries is such a terrible way.  Tippman is really the only starter worthy player on their OL rn.  

No need to be fair - Wilson would suck if he had a decent offensive line.

Just now, Seventeen said:

No need to be fair - Wilson would suck if he had a decent offensive line.

He would suck but he engineered Gw drives against us in 2 of the last 3 games.  Yesterday was his worst game I can remember by far.  No shock that it was behind an OL of depth players.  Dude never had a chance all day

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.