Anyone have any Hungarian ancestry here?

Another Fan

It's my Father's ancestry.  I went to a Hungarian bakery this morning that re-opened not far from where I grew up.  The road down memory lane there was nice.  Someone was even talking to me about Transylvania a little.

I know in Cleveland there at least was a big population with Hungarian ancestry.  Not sure how well represented Buffalo was by this demographic 

A friend from Hungary invited us to a dinner party at her place. There were 12-14 of us, and I was the only one who had never been to Hungary. How could that be? She made some traditional Hungarian dishes. Maybe it grows on you?  🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, boyst said:

My great great grandpa or someone tried to kill the prince of Hungary and fled to the United States. We found some documents which supported this. 

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of the Australian empire... Prince and heir to the throne

Was assassinated by Gavrillo princip and conspirators members of the black hand which sparked WW1

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It's my Father's ancestry.  I went to a Hungarian bakery this morning that re-opened not far from where I grew up.  The road down memory lane there was nice.  Someone was even talking to me about Transylvania a little.

I know in Cleveland there at least was a big population with Hungarian ancestry.  Not sure how well represented Buffalo was by this demographic 

you are right about Cleveland. My wife’s uncle in Hungarian and they live out on Cleveland. We have been to all kinds of Hungarian halls for receptions and have eaten some great Hungarian food. 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

you are right about Cleveland. My wife’s uncle in Hungarian and they live out on Cleveland. We have been to all kinds of Hungarian halls for receptions and have eaten some great Hungarian food. 

in M*A*S*H Max Klinger talks about there being a lot of Hungarians in Toledo. Jamie Farr  provided a lot of details on Toledo to writers for show. i.e. "Tony Packo's, greatest Hungarian hot dogs, with chili peppers, 35 cents, and a cold beer!" which is a real eatery.

Dated a girl in college whose family was Hungarian.  I really enjoyed the food but I enjoy a large variety of food and even had a job as a food taster once.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of the Australian empire... Prince and heir to the throne

Was assassinated by Gavrillo princip and conspirators members of the black hand which sparked WW1

This was way earlier. 19th century.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

in M*A*S*H Max Klinger talks about there being a lot of Hungarians in Toledo. Jamie Farr  provided a lot of details on Toledo to writers for show. i.e. "Tony Packo's, greatest Hungarian hot dogs, with chili peppers, 35 cents, and a cold beer!" which is a real eatery.

Dated a girl in college whose family was Hungarian.  I really enjoyed the food but I enjoy a large variety of food and even had a job as a food taster once.

Tony packos is overrated for what's left of it. 

Edited by boyst

My mother and her sisters were very proud of their mother Mary's Austrian heritage.  When I worked a construction project in the early 2000s that was overseen by an Austrian company, most of the managers (Austrian) seemed amused when we compared notes over where my grandmother was born.  Turns out when Mary was born in Burgenland (Lower Austria) in 1900, that was considered Hungary.  Roughly analogous to being a country bumpkin.  My niece and I get a good laugh over this 'selective' ancestry. 😁

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yep, been to Tony Packo’s and sadly it seemed to be more of a tourist trap than a for real place to eat. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.