Thoughts on clock usage at the end of the game?

Einstein

We took a timeout with 24 seconds left on the clock before 3rd down. 

Taking the timeout with so much time left gave Denver the option of running two more plays. A kneel down on their preferred hash mark, and then jogging their kicker out for the game winner. There wasn’t much urgency since there was plenty of time.

Alternative clock usage to end the game:

Had we instead took the timeout with 14 or 15 seconds left, Denver has to kick the field goal right then and there, because with no timeouts and only 14 or 15 seconds left, it wouldn’t have given them enough time to run two completely different plays (kneel down, and a field goal). 

1) With the average field goal taking only 4 or 5 seconds, Denver would also be forced to kickoff to us, likely with 9 or 10 seconds left. It’s a long shot to return a kick, but it’s *something*.

2) During that timeout, you would have time to get the right 11 kick blockers on the field. 

Thoughts?

• Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Taking the timeouts was utterly ridiculous, and I was screaming at the time. McD is way over his head. I have absolutely no idea what he thought he was accomplishing. Brain dead.

Yeah I just don’t see how it helped.

If you’re going to take it, it should be taken where it gives you an advantage.

24 seconds is plenty of time to kneel and jog your field goal team on.

14 or 15 seconds is a lot more of a challenge and you likely get the ball back for the hope of a miracle.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Taking the timeout with so much time left gave Denver the option of running two more plays. A kneel down on their preferred hash mark, and then jogging their kicker out for the game winner. There wasn’t much urgency since there was plenty of time.

Had we instead took the timeout with 14 or 15 seconds left, Denver has to kick the field goal right then and there, because with no timeouts and only 14 or 15 seconds left, it wouldn’t have given them enough time to run two completely different plays (kneel down, and a field goal). 

1) With the average field goal taking only 4 or 5 seconds, Denver would also be forced to kickoff to us, likely with 9 or 10 seconds left. It’s a long shot to return a kick, but it’s *something*.

2) During that timeout, you would have time to get the right 11 kick blockers on the field. 

Thoughts?

Agree about waiting to use the last timeout.  Denver couldn’t have run two plays like they did, we at least maybe get ball back.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

His strategy forced a rushed kick and actually worked, but for the counting failure.  Maybe a sesame street video with the count is on deck for tomorrow morning. 

The kick didn’t feel very rushed to me. Did it to you?

There was a full 11 seconds still on the game clock when the Broncos kicking team was fully set-up.

The same kicker missed an extra point early, which came with no rush.

IMG-4413.jpg

2 minutes ago, Avisan said:

The timeouts pushed the kick distance back.  It worked.  The first kick narrowly missed.

Unfortunately, we had 12 on the field.

The distance was minimal. Rushing in to kick caused that missed. Payton’s bad time management got bailed out by McD’s bad coaching. Two mediocre teams trying to lose to one another and Bills succeeded. 

• Like (+1) 1

At the time I wanted the timeouts. Because I was pretty positive that Denver would lock the FG. At least we would get the back back with 20ish seconds to try a Hail Mary at the end. 

but, as pointed out, had we not stopped the clock for them with no timeouts, maybe they would have ran out of time after the sack. 

either way, in the end, we got hurt by a coach making the wrong decisions yet again. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thoughts?

Thought the same thing

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

The kick didn’t feel very rushed to me. Did it to you?

There was a full 11 seconds still on the game clock when the Broncos kicking team was fully set-up.

The same kicker missed an extra point early, which came with no rush.

IMG-4413.jpg

It did seem rushed. They had to fire drill onto the field.  And he missed.  So there’s that. 

It did seem rushed. They had to fire drill onto the field.  

Agree to disagree. The field goal team was fully set up with 11 seconds left on the clock. They could have played patty-cake for a full 10 seconds before snapping it.

And he missed.  So there’s that. 

He missed an extra point earlier that came with no rushed kick. And he made the rushed kick before halftime.

Go figure lol.

I liked the concept of milking the clock on Allen’s scramble we should have instructed him to fall short of the goalline and forced Denver to use their TOs. Being that we scored right away we gave the ball back with plenty of time to spare. It would have been smarter to sneak an onsides kick the ensuing kickoff after Allen’s running TD and recovered the ball at our 40. Worst case scenario they have a condensed field and less field to drive the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I liked the concept of milking the clock on Allen’s scramble we should have instructed him to fall short of the goalline and forced Denver to use their TOs. Being that we scored right away we gave the ball back with plenty of time to spare. It would have been smarter to sneak an onsides kick the ensuing kickoff after Allen’s running TD and recovered the ball at our 40. Worst case scenario they have a condensed field and less field to drive the ball. 

No stop that.  Allen scored on Second and Goal from the 6 yard line, with 2:00 on the clock.

Denver had 2 timeouts remaining.

We had 3 plays left to try to take the lead.

You really think we should have kneeled on Second and Goal from the 6 with 2 minutes left?

Ok, now it's Third and Goal from the 7 with 1:58.

Kneel it on Third and Goal from the 7?  Jeez, risky, but ok!  Denver takes their final timeout!

4th and Goal from the 8, we push the magic touchdown button and great news, we win the game!  Except that we don't, the exact same thing happens, and we coach ourselves out of a victory by being unable to count to 12.

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

No stop that.  Allen scored on Second and Goal from the 6 yard line, with 2:00 on the clock.

Denver had 2 timeouts remaining.

We had 3 plays left to try to take the lead.

You really think we should have kneeled on Second and Goal from the 6 with 2 minutes left?

Ok, now it's Third and Goal from the 7 with 1:58.

Kneel it on Third and Goal from the 7?  Jeez, risky, but ok!  Denver takes their final timeout!

4th and Goal from the 8, we push the magic touchdown button and great news, we win the game!  Except that we don't, the exact same thing happens, and we coach ourselves out of a victory by being unable to count to 12.

No what I’m saying is Allen should have run out of bounds at the 1’ line or fell short around the 1. Then it’s basic math. 

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

No what I’m saying is Allen should have run out of bounds at the 1’ line or fell short around the 1. Then it’s basic math. 

What basic math comes up with Allen, on Second and Goal from the 6, falling down at the 1 yard line with 1:57 left on the clock and Denver having 2 timeouts?

Just now, akm0404 said:

What basic math comes up with Allen, on Second and Goal from the 6, falling down at the 1 yard line with 1:57 left on the clock and Denver having 2 timeouts?

Don’t you want Denver to blow their TOs? You still have 2 downs to get 1 yard. Ideally you have your TOs so a basic math says you are in control. One tush push away from a TD. If it’s 3rd and goal from the 2 and 1:30 to play I trust Allen to get me one yard. Same logic I use with all you 13 second’s crybaby’s. We scored, great! Instead of kicking the PAT, go for 2. Play for the kill. 

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah I just don’t see how it helped.

If you’re going to take it, it should be taken where it gives you an advantage.

24 seconds is plenty of time to kneel and jog your field goal team on.

14 or 15 seconds is a lot more of a challenge and you likely get the ball back for the hope of a miracle.

You make them snap the ball.  That's not automatic as we saw in the Bills-Vikings game.  You also force them into a hurry-up mode. McD felt confident because he said they practiced running the dime team off and the FG unit on 2-3 times during practice last week.  They didn't execute it properly. As McD said in the PC, "it's inexcusable".

This ST coach needs to go also...dude has turned our normally good ST kick coverage units into a sieve.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.