NFL Injury Problem

Mango

7 hours ago, Mango said:

It feels like the NFL is starting to run into a huge injury problem the last few years. And not just a strain here or a sprain there. But full on spine, concussion, ACL, achilles etc. It seems almost weekly at this point. As an NFL lifer it is becoming a bit of turn off to have all these seasons and careers cut short/ruined. It isn't great for the product. 

I think there are a few problems/solutions: 

1. These guys are absolute freaks, who are barely required to be in team facilities outside of the season. Having all these guys out there more or less winging it is just becoming irresponsible. For reference, most injuries occur in the preseason and first 4 weeks of the year. Spiking in the first COVID season 2020-2021. I normally side with the players on most things CBA. But the league has to get these guys back in the facilities. They don't have to hit, or wear pads. But they can work on the sleds, running routes, weights, stretching, watching film. No reason guys can't be back in the facility 4 days per week May 1. 5 days June 1. Then run training camp like normal. I think practice time is probably the biggest contributor. 

2.. These guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever. The body can only take so much. It can take even less when its artificially made. Steroids and HGH are likely at an all time high. For player safety and longevity they likely need to find a way to clamp down a bit. 

3. Switch to grass league wide. 

EDIT: 

Injuries significantly doubled from 2014-2018. Nearly doubled.

https://www.weisspaarz.com/nfl-injuries-over-five-seasons/

Injuries decrease as the season progresses. 

https://www.kaggle.com/code/jaseziv83/an-analysis-of-nfl-injuries

Stop scheduling money grab games on concrete fields in London/Europe. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Thursday night games need to go. I enjoy the idea of them but often times the exhaustion of the teams is palpable.

Modern NFL is setting players up for failure by demanding so much in regards to travel and game frequency. 

a certain amount of injuries is unavoidable but the NFL could do a better job of controlling what they can. I don’t know if it’s contrived but it seems like the nfl has made decisions from purely a marketing standpoint. Protect the quarterback the rest of the players are all cogs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Beast said:

I don’t know the answer.

I remember two seasons ago, the only significant injury the Bills suffered was Tre White’s ACL. The Bills training staff was being credited with keeping the players healthy.

Now, compare that to the past two seasons. Does the training staff deserve criticism for all the injuries we have suffered through?

I don’t know. Seems to me that training staff’s across the league are probably pretty comparable and injuries are just a good luck/bad luck sort of thing for the most part.

However, during Jauron years, Bills had horrible luck with injuries including many season ending ones.  Kind of goes in cycles.

3 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

I think the Thursday night games need to go. I enjoy the idea of them but often times the exhaustion of the teams is palpable.

Modern NFL is setting players up for failure by demanding so much in regards to travel and game frequency. 

a certain amount of injuries is unavoidable but the NFL could do a better job of controlling what they can. I don’t know if it’s contrived but it seems like the nfl has made decisions from purely a marketing standpoint. Protect the quarterback the rest of the players are all cogs. 

There is no evidence that there are more injuries on Thursday night, nor is there any reason to believe “Thursday Night games suck”…there have been some really good Thursday night games, and some stinkers, just like MNF.

i just don’t understand this argument…you’d really rather have no football on Thursday nights???  Do fans complain about the player’s’ “exhaustion” during the NHL playoffs?  That’s surely as much of a grind as playing one football game a year with three full days rest…

5 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

💯 agree

No chance it ever happens.  💰 💴 💵 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

There is no evidence that there are more injuries on Thursday night, nor is there any reason to believe “Thursday Night games suck”…there have been some really good Thursday night games, and some stinkers, just like MNF.

i just don’t understand this argument…you’d really rather have no football on Thursday nights???  Do fans complain about the player’s’ “exhaustion” during the NHL playoffs?  That’s surely as much of a grind as playing one football game a year with three full days rest…

What “evidence” is there to even look at? Not to mention all the lawyer arguments that could go into how such data is collected etc. 

the argument I’m making is that fatigue is a factor. It isn’t always obvious, like someone laying on the ground, it can be more subtle like doing things slightly out of form. This is when some injuries occur. 

there’s a reason there’s normally 5+ days between games. Just because they can do it once a year on half the rest doesn’t mean they should. 

I like the idea of Thursday night games, I’m not sure I’d miss them. 

Edited by Shortchaz

20 hours ago, Lost said:

A lot of players in general were just meaner back in the day and didn't really care about their own well being or others.  They just went out there to annihilate people. 

Off topic but related to this point..........I was watching an NBA "in season tournament" game last night and a guy blocked a shot in the paint and fell hard to the ground........the ball is still in play and the guy whose shot got blocked reaches down and helps the guy that blocked it back up to his feet as a 3 pointer is being shot and then they both go up for the rebound.   Yeah.......sports are definitely different than they used to be. :lol:     

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Off topic but related to this point..........I was watching an NBA "in season tournament" game last night and a guy blocked a shot in the paint and fell hard to the ground........the ball is still in play and the guy whose shot got blocked reaches down and helps the guy that blocked it back up to his feet as a 3 pointer is being shot and then they both go up for the rebound.   Yeah.......sports are definitely different than they used to be. :lol:     

Bill Walton must be rolling over in his grave. 

He’s dead, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

Not allowed to hit high.  

Can’t and don’t want to give anyone a concussion.  

They are all being taught new ways to tackle low - from the thigh down especially in the secondary.  

30 years ago everyone wanted to see waist or above big hits.  

Can’t do that anymore.  

Legs are going to suffer.  The turf isn’t helping either.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.